Have You Left Your Baby In the Nursery All Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you thought about what you will do in the event of an emergency? I know it is unlikely but you stated you would be 1.5 hours away. I think only you can decide how comfortable you would be in that situation. Are you ok if you receive a call saying she has been upset and crying and knowing it will take you an hour or more to get back to her? You mentioned having private transfers, but what if something goes wrong? How will you feel if you can't get back to the boat? Unlikely, but something to really think about. Things happen that are out of our control all the time.

Also, I am not judging your parenting, no one can tell what type of parent someone is from a chat board. But I believe PP was just saying that a 12 month old exploring is just that, not necessarily "naughty". Babies can't be naughty. Some are more work to watch then others. I assume that is what you meant and I completely understand how that is. I had two of those...at the same time. I was tired of people saying "double trouble" every time they saw my twins but I think I was more annoyed because it was kind of true! :lmao: Hope you have a nice trip, whatever you decide to do. Your comfort level is going to have to dictate this situation. (That and the nursery hours!) :)

I think you are absolutely right to consider how your baby will feel being in the hot sun all day long with no significant stimulation. We are baby wearers as well and are booking DS into the nursery for one almost all-day excursion on the WBPC. It's through DCL, so we aren't taking a cell phone with us (Port Adventures will know how to reach us), and given our previous experience with the nursery while onboard with a toddler DD, I have NO qualms about my son being fed, happy, loved, and NOT overheating in a foreign country.

Sometimes people forget that attachment parenting is about doing the best thing for the child, and not our constructed image of what an ideal parent should be in every single situation without taking context into account. I'm sorry some are making you feel judged for considering all your options as a responsible, loving parent.

Thank you so much! I appreciate your comments.

I was a little shocked at those two posters judging me so harshly. It's completely uncalled for, since they have no idea how my baby is like and her tolerance level for being bored. I wear her, but she doesn't love it. My older DD loved being in her Ergo, but my baby pushes out when she gets hot, she fusses b/c she can't see, she wants to be put down and crawl, etc.

We are going to 4 ports on the 7 day Med cruise. Rome is the ONLY port that I'd even consider this since there is so much outdoor walking involved in the sun, in June. Having been to Rome before, we already know that there is no shade at the Colosseum, and hardly any A/C at the Vatican.

For our La Spezia port, we're forgoing Florence and visiting Lucca instead for the grassy areas to play on and playgrounds, etc. We're trying to pick and choose options that make everyone happy.

Have you thought about what you will do in the event of an emergency? I know it is unlikely but you stated you would be 1.5 hours away. I think only you can decide how comfortable you would be in that situation. Are you ok if you receive a call saying she has been upset and crying and knowing it will take you an hour or more to get back to her? You mentioned having private transfers, but what if something goes wrong? How will you feel if you can't get back to the boat? Unlikely, but something to really think about. Things happen that are out of our control all the time.

Also, I am not judging your parenting, no one can tell what type of parent someone is from a chat board. But I believe PP was just saying that a 12 month old exploring is just that, not necessarily "naughty". Babies can't be naughty. Some are more work to watch then others. I assume that is what you meant and I completely understand how that is. I had two of those...at the same time. I was tired of people saying "double trouble" every time they saw my twins but I think I was more annoyed because it was kind of true! :lmao: Hope you have a nice trip, whatever you decide to do. Your comfort level is going to have to dictate this situation. (That and the nursery hours!) :)

The emergency thing is one of our main concerns. iI think we're going to play it by ear for now and just see how she does the 1st two times she goes into the nursery. If she is already unhappy in there, I wouldn't even consider it.

And by naughty, I don't mean she's bad. She's active. I'm not sure why those other posters were so offended by the word. I say it affectionately. She is like wild monkey. :rotfl: She tries to leap off my bed. She tries to fall backwards while standing up. She finds the hidden kleenex boxes and tries to eat the paper. She thinks its hilarious :rolleyes: I should go back and replace the word "naughty" with the word "monkey" because that's really what it is :lmao: I am not sure the nursery CMs will be able to keep an eye on her ALL the time b/c that's what we do at home.

The emergency thing is one of our main concerns. iI think we're going to play it by ear for now and just see how she does the 1st two times she goes into the nursery. If she is already unhappy in there, I wouldn't even consider it.

And by naughty, I don't mean she's bad. She's active. I'm not sure why those other posters were so offended by the word. I say it affectionately. She is like wild monkey :lmao: She tries to leap off my bed. She tries to fall backwards while standing up. She thinks its hilarious :rolleyes: I should go back and replace the word "naughty" with the word "monkey" because that's really what it is :lmao: I am not sure the nursery CMs will be able to keep an eye on her ALL the time b/c that's what we do at home.

Yes! That is exactly what I thought you meant by it. I think it was just misinterpreted.

I have had a few of those monkeys. I get it. ;)

Thank you so much! I appreciate your comments.

I was a little shocked at those two posters judging me so harshly. It's completely uncalled for, since they have no idea how my baby is like and her tolerance level for being bored. I wear her, but she doesn't love it. My older DD loved being in her Ergo, but my baby pushes out when she gets hot, she fusses b/c she can't see, she wants to be put down and crawl, etc.

We are going to 4 ports on the 7 day Med cruise. Rome is the ONLY port that I'd even consider this since there is so much outdoor walking involved in the sun, in June. Having been to Rome before, we already know that there is no shade at the Colosseum, and hardly any A/C at the Vatican.

For our La Spezia port, we're forgoing Florence and visiting Lucca instead for the grassy areas to play on and playgrounds, etc. We're trying to pick and choose options that make everyone happy.

Ignore them; anyone who can judge someone harshly is really insecure within themselves. There is nothing wrong with having your baby stay in a safe, secure environment like Disney provides. We all need to decide for ourselves what is right for their own children (as long as they are lovingly cared for).

I am so over the judgements other parents pass on each other. Perhaps it is because I have an age range that spans 10 years and I can see that if my oldest is any indication at 13 of the job I am doing (straight A's, on track to become an Eagle scout at 14) I am doing a great job parenting. And yes, I am the one who left his sister in the nursery while on a port excursion for 8 hours.

This thread should not be about passing judgements on each other. Answer the questions the original poster wanted answers for but don't flame insecurities and offer unsolicited advice about what makes a great parent.

lilpooh108 said:
And by naughty, I don't mean she's bad. She's active. I'm not sure why those other posters were so offended by the word. I say it affectionately. She is like wild monkey. :rotfl: She tries to leap off my bed. She tries to fall backwards while standing up. She finds the hidden kleenex boxes and tries to eat the paper. She thinks its hilarious :rolleyes: I should go back and replace the word "naughty" with the word "monkey" because that's really what it is :lmao: I am not sure the nursery CMs will be able to keep an eye on her ALL the time b/c that's what we do at home.

I know exactly what you mean, my 2yo is what I like to call "mischievous" which is being very polite, lol. Her pediatrician loved that description.

Have you thought about what you will do in the event of an emergency? I know it is unlikely but you stated you would be 1.5 hours away.

This would be a HUGE concern and I wouldn't do it.

OP, Rome isn't that hot in June. We spent almost a month in Europe with our 16 month old grandson, including Rome. He is a very active child and adapted very well. He's now 5 and loves "remembering" his trip to Europe (via photos).

I am so over the judgements other parents pass on each other. Perhaps it is because I have an age range that spans 10 years and I can see that if my oldest is any indication at 13 of the job I am doing (straight A's, on track to become an Eagle scout at 14) I am doing a great job parenting. And yes, I am the one who left his sister in the nursery while on a port excursion for 8 hours.

This thread should not be about passing judgements on each other. Answer the questions the original poster wanted answers for but don't flame insecurities and offer unsolicited advice about what makes a great parent.

You are awesome, thanks. :thumbsup2

FWIW, my oldest DD has special needs. We've been through 2 years of occupational therapy. I've been surrounded by supportive parents of special need kids and great teachers for so long that I have apparently forgotten what it's like in the "real" world -- the one where people judge you and your child based on their insecurities and assumptions.

Never thought a simple question on daycare experience would turn into a "I'm a better parent than you" contest.

This would be a HUGE concern and I wouldn't do it.

OP, Rome isn't that hot in June. We spent almost a month in Europe with our 16 month old grandson, including Rome. He is a very active child and adapted very well. He's now 5 and loves "remembering" his trip to Europe (via photos).

Very helpful, thank you. :)

I think in addition to trying her out in the Nursery, I will ask the Nursery CMs about their comfort level with leaving her (based on their observation of her after 2 days) with us being that far away. Hopefully they will tell us the truth. If they're not comfortable, then it's not even an option.

I know exactly what you mean, my 2yo is what I like to call "mischievous" which is being very polite, lol. Her pediatrician loved that description.

Yes, "mischievous." Precocious, inventive, hilarious. :) She comes up with something dangerous, goofy and new everyday.

Wow, that is a really tough decision. I have a monkey just like that and there is no way I would want to drag him, most likely reluctantly through Rome. I would say, play it by ear and see how she is in the nursery. If the tour you are doing is provided through DCL I bet if there was an emergency they would find a way to get you back to the ship ASAP. Might be a good question to ask them via email to ease your mind. I think you sound like a wonderful, concerned mother and I hope you have an amazing trip!

My sister is joining me on the EBTA in May and she will be travelling with a then 4 month old and a 3 year old. We have an all day port excursion planned at one of the ports and I just booked my niece in the nursery at my sisters request for 8 hours. The three year will stay in the club. It is a historical tour and as my sister said, they will be much more happier in the climate controlled ship being entertained. My sister is a wonderful stay at home mom and I think she knows what is best and works for her kids.
When I cruised with my older sister's family, we left the three year old in the club while we did Rome with the 6 year old. She would have been bored on the train and would have cared less/ been clueless about what we saw and wouldn't remember the trip. She was much more happier in the club and loved telling us about her day over dinner.

We gave this a lot of thought on our last cruise and decided against it. Not so much as an emergency with your baby to consider as much as what if something happens to you off the boat, especially with private transfers, and you don't make it back in time. Does the boat leave without you with baby on board? Far out I know, but was our concern.

It sounds like to me that you are thoroughly exploring as many possibilities and outcomes as you can while keeping in mind that you know your child best and want her to have the best day she can have. Good for you.

Wow, that is a really tough decision. I have a monkey just like that and there is no way I would want to drag him, most likely reluctantly through Rome. I would say, play it by ear and see how she is in the nursery. If the tour you are doing is provided through DCL I bet if there was an emergency they would find a way to get you back to the ship ASAP. Might be a good question to ask them via email to ease your mind. I think you sound like a wonderful, concerned mother and I hope you have an amazing trip!

Thanks for the kind words. I think emailing ahead of times is a great idea.

My sister is joining me on the EBTA in May and she will be travelling with a then 4 month old and a 3 year old. We have an all day port excursion planned at one of the ports and I just booked my niece in the nursery at my sisters request for 8 hours. The three year will stay in the club. It is a historical tour and as my sister said, they will be much more happier in the climate controlled ship being entertained. My sister is a wonderful stay at home mom and I think she knows what is best and works for her kids.
When I cruised with my older sister's family, we left the three year old in the club while we did Rome with the 6 year old. She would have been bored on the train and would have cared less/ been clueless about what we saw and wouldn't remember the trip. She was much more happier in the club and loved telling us about her day over dinner.

Yes, part of me thinks that she would be alot happier in the Nursery with a bunch of toys. But it would be so hard and worrisome to leave her. I wonder if the Nursery allows calls in for me to check on her?

We gave this a lot of thought on our last cruise and decided against it. Not so much as an emergency with your baby to consider as much as what if something happens to you off the boat, especially with private transfers, and you don't make it back in time. Does the boat leave without you with baby on board? Far out I know, but was our concern.

Yes! We thought about this too! Major concern actually, not far out at all. Rome traffic is notorious. :(

It sounds like to me that you are thoroughly exploring as many possibilities and outcomes as you can while keeping in mind that you know your child best and want her to have the best day she can have. Good for you.

Thanks for the kind words. Truly. I shouldn't have let those other people get to me. :)

We are considering leaving our 12 month old on the ship during an all day port excursion (Rome). We will have a UK cell phone number where the ship can reach us. We have also scheduled private transfers, so getting back early isn't a problem (knock on wood).

My husband is really really really against it, since the port is 1.5 hours away.

I am "more" for it, because I think it is easier on the baby and it's easier on us.

My mom thinks we should do it because it's not fair to the baby to have to go through our hectic Rome day schedule.

Has anyone left their baby in the Nursery all day on a port excursion? I remember reading some Alaska trip reports that mention this. What did you think? Pros? Cons? Regrets?

My baby is very sweet, but naughty. She needs constant supervision while playing b/c she's always climbing, and falling, and putting stuff into her mouth. Will it be safe? We've used the Nursery before for our older DD (she is not naughty at all), but only for 3 hours at most.

No, never done this and not something I or my DH would be comfortable doing.

This would be my concern and I would not enjoy the day worried about all the 'what ifs'. I really wouldn't be concerned about the baby on the ship at all, because it is like day care. But I never left my child in day care where I was 2 hours away, in a foreign country and not able to control getting to her immediately. THAT's what I wouldn't like, not over attentive CM's doting on my child.

Years ago I traveled from Alaska and my 8 year old nephew was with me. We weren't on a cruise ship but on the ferry. At one of the ports, I wanted to get off to buy a few things in the store and look around, but my nephew wanted to stay on board and play with a child he'd met. I really regretted it. I was so nervous that something would happen to ME while I was off the ship and I wouldn't be able to get back and he'd just sail away...

So I just wouldn't like it.

Nancy

I have a 6 year old and I don't think I could leave him on the ship for several including the 'what if' reasons. If you have come to terms with all of it and your little one does well in all day daycare then I'd think it would be fine. Mine had been in all day daycare from 11 mos until 5 years old and he's always had a problem being in there all day. I recently had to pull him out of afterschool care and could only do that after changing jobs. Some kids do well in that situation and some don't. Babies do nap for 2-3 hours so that can really help if she's still a good napper by that point. It's really about what works well for each kid and family. If everything seems like it will be ok for you and her then I say go for it.

We have not done this, but I would. We did the first Med cruise in 2007. There were only 18 children registered in the nursery. One day I was chatting with them and there was a toddler there that they clearly adored. They told me her parents spent a whole day in Naples/Pompeii with her and everyone was miserable. She spent the next couple of long days with them (Rome and Florence) and everyone was happier.

We had family with us and that helped - we all did Rome and it was a long day! Someone stayed on board with my 3 and 5 year olds in Florence (we took the 6 mos old and the 7 and 8 year olds). In Marseille, we only took the 6 mos old.

The nursery staff told us that we could have left all three of our youngest with them all day - a 6 mos old, a just barely 3 year old who was actually registered in the club and my 5 year old with Down syndrome (she was smaller than my 3 year old and developmentally younger) They said the two older ones could stay with them because of the feeding/napping issues during a full day. Now this may have been because they had so few children that cruise.

No matter what you decide, someone here will be critical. Do what you feel is best and my only point in responding is to let you know it is absolutely okay and you have clearly thought it out and have a good plan in place to check out the nursery ahead of time.

Good luck. Have fun!!! and let us know how it goes

While I don't have experience leaving our DS 2 while we were out for an excursion he was there multiple times for between 2-4 hours each day of 8 night cruise. We actually reserved space every night for dinner. We don't have family near us so we rarely have dinner alone - like once every 5-6 months. Having dinner just me and DH was the best treat of the vacation.

The nursery staff was excellent. My DS loves Cars. Most of the girls were British and he kept saying "Holly Shiftwell" which was adorable. I brought him with a bag that had sippy cup, pull-ups (we are potty training), wipes. They said he did great with potty training. Dry the entire time and told them he had to go. They fed him and provided him juice/milk. He had yogurt for the first time and loved it. When we peaked in quite a few times he was watching TV. That was ok with me as long as he was happy - plus we always have the TV on at home. He did a few crafts - stickering, stamping, coloring. He played with the other children as well. I was a little nervous as he has never been to daycare but he loved it. Every day he asked when he could go to "kids club". He actually is still talking about it almost 3 weeks later.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they offer a great time to the kids. I never worried about my child. I always felt that they were safe and cared for with great love.

I will say that I too would be apprehensive about leaving him all day when I couldn't get there quickly and easily. But in the end I think I could do it knowing that they would be safe and have fun.

Mischievous is exactly the word we use for our 18 month old, Violet. My dad just calls her Hurricane Violet :rotfl:.

We have not done a full day in the nursery, but I can tell you that on our cruise two years ago when DS was 2, I wish more than anything that we had left him in the nursery while we went on our port adventure. It was miserable. He was uncomfortable and bored, and in turn that made us miserable. We spent the entire excursion trying to play with him or distract him in some way so that he didn't make EVERYONE on the excursion miserable too. It was easily the worst day of our vacation--a complete waste of money and certainly not quality family time together. I would not hesitate to leave either of my children in the clubs or nursery during a port adventure. I know my children and I know what their limitations are. Someone else's ideas about attachment parenting and family togetherness does not change the fact that we had a seriously crappy day that easily could have been enjoyable for all of us.

And it's absolutely true that drivers are crazy in Rome. However, if I'm going to get hit by a car, I would rather it was just me getting hit by a car with my children safe back on the ship, than me and my DD in the Ergo getting hit by a car. If something does happen to you, the ship is not going to leave you with your baby onboard. Arrangements will be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter