Have you heard of "attachment style parenting"?

Thank you :) Sounds like the baby will grow out of this, from some of your replies. My friend has been very frustrated thinking she is doing something wrong, but I told her that all babies are different. I actually think the baby is teething as well (on top of regular sleep issues-the baby has always been up every hour for feedings since birth), but her pediatrician disagreed....

Thank you :) Sounds like the baby will grow out of this, from some of your replies. My friend has been very frustrated thinking she is doing something wrong, but I told her that all babies are different. I actually think the baby is teething as well (on top of regular sleep issues-the baby has always been up every hour for feedings since birth), but her pediatrician disagreed....

You sound like a lovely & concerned friend. I remember being a first time mom, I had these ideals of embracing & belonging to a parenting community. Finding like minded parents online made me feel part of a special club. Naively, I believed I had to fully support the major beliefs of these parenting ideals in order to successful raise my child a certain way. Now as a parent of older kids, I get that parenting is meshing, & molding of many philosophies & most often from my gut. Gently remind your friend it is most important to trust your gut over anything you read. If getting up with babe is resulting in a tired stressed out mom- she should give herself permission to solve the problem in a way that makes sense for her. A healthy relaxed momma is much more important & pivotal for success then desperately grasping at what one parenting ideal dictates & doesn't work for her.

I'm personally a rotten night time parent so my heart feels for her.

Thank you. The reason why I ask is because my friend's baby (6 months old) is having the hardest time sleeping through the night. She wakes up every hour to breastfeed all night long. I just wondered if this was due to that style of parenting (i.e. Is it because she is following her baby's lead for feeding schedule) or completely non-related.

I mean no disrespect or judgement toward this style of parenting-I'm just trying to educate myself & understand a bit more, since my friend vents to me sometimes about the night feeding issues.

I wouldn't necessarily blame attachment parenting for that. She may just have a bad sleeper. I have an almost 3 year old HORRENDOUS sleeper. She's slept in her own room since about 5 weeks of age, and stopped any nighttime feedings at all well before 6 months. She still woke up anywhere between 2 and 5 times a night until after her first birthday. Between ages 1 and 2 it became 1-2 times a night, and now at almost 3 years old, we get about 3-4 full nights sleep a week, with the others up 1-2 times a night. I have an older daughter who is an amazing sleeper, always has been, so I know it's such an individual thing. We have tried every trick in the book, but the fact is, she just doesn't need that much sleep. Most 3 year olds need 11-13 hours of sleep a night, and she gets maybe 8 on a good night. But she's incredibly smart and meets all milestones, so I don't worry, just drink a LOT of coffee!

I wouldn't necessarily blame attachment parenting for that. She may just have a bad sleeper. I have an almost 3 year old HORRENDOUS sleeper. She's slept in her own room since about 5 weeks of age, and stopped any nighttime feedings at all well before 6 months. She still woke up anywhere between 2 and 5 times a night until after her first birthday. Between ages 1 and 2 it became 1-2 times a night, and now at almost 3 years old, we get about 3-4 full nights sleep a week, with the others up 1-2 times a night. I have an older daughter who is an amazing sleeper, always has been, so I know it's such an individual thing. We have tried every trick in the book, but the fact is, she just doesn't need that much sleep. Most 3 year olds need 11-13 hours of sleep a night, and she gets maybe 8 on a good night. But she's incredibly smart and meets all milestones, so I don't worry, just drink a LOT of coffee!

You poor thing my middle child wasn't a sleeper. Coffee, speed, heck I just want her to take naps so I could.

She is 20 now and still only sleeps about 6-7 hrs.

Every child is different op some babies love to be close and others don't, I say do what works for the child and you.

The co-sleeping thing horrifies me. I worry so much about the baby getting asphyxiated (is that a word?) I know how exhausting it is to be the parent of a baby and I also realize that the exhausted parent will, on occassion, fall into a very deep sleep and consequently not be arroused by a squirming little one.

I don't know, but this whole possibility has been a very frightening thing for me, I was never able to co-sleep.

I had to chuckle reading this. When my daughter was born, I had this vision of doing this. I had the Baby Bjorn and was all psyched up for it. Well, gosh darn, my daughter screamed her bloody head off in that thing. She did NOT like being that close to me. Talk about getting your feelings hurt! :confused3 I tried to face her out and no go. I'm sure eventually she would have learned to reach up and punch me if I had kept it up.:rotfl: There was no way my daughter would have allowed me to attachment parent her!

I gave that thing away. Now, my son probably would have loved it but it was such a bad experience with my DD, I didn't even revisit it.

It's really so interesting how individual those little babies are!

Lol. My dd was the same way. It didn't have anything to do with being close to me, she wouldn't let me put her in the darn thing. I swore she was afraid of it!

LOL This was my DD too. :goodvibes Wearing her was akin to torture in her mind, I think. She hated being swaddled too. Right from birth if she couldn't move her arms and legs freely, she screamed bloody murder! Fast forward 11 years and she's a pretty serious ballet dancer; I swear she started practicing in utero.

OP- As mentioned, there could be a number of reasons why the baby won't sleep through the night. It doesn't necessarily have to do with the style of parenting. My kids were nursed/ co-slept and DS was a great sleeper and DD didn't sleep through the night until she was about 4 years old. :eek: If she had been my first, I would have seriously questioned my parenting ability. She was a challenging baby, that one! (But, she is such an EASY kid!)

You sound like a good friend!:goodvibes

The co-sleeping thing horrifies me. I worry so much about the baby getting asphyxiated (is that a word?) I know how exhausting it is to be the parent of a baby and I also realize that the exhausted parent will, on occassion, fall into a very deep sleep and consequently not be arroused by a squirming little one.

I don't know, but this whole possibility has been a very frightening thing for me, I was never able to co-sleep.

I wasn't ever comfortable with it either. DH sleeps soooo soundly that I would just be awake all night. When DD was in our room, she was in a bassinet.

Yes I was going to ask about how people coslept as well- I would be terrified. Did you just lay the baby on the bed and trust you wouldn't roll over them? Or were they on top of you? I don't understand how this works.

On another note, my newborn has what we call 'baby bird face' when he is hungry- opens his mouth and turns his head from side to side. We mentioned it in front of a therapist that was here and she said an actress- I think Alicia silverstone- actually chewed her kids' food for them and then spit it in their mouths! I don't know that she did that, but Mayim Bialik is also very into attachment parenting.

Thank you. The reason why I ask is because my friend's baby (6 months old) is having the hardest time sleeping through the night. She wakes up every hour to breastfeed all night long. I just wondered if this was due to that style of parenting (i.e. Is it because she is following her baby's lead for feeding schedule) or completely non-related. I mean no disrespect or judgement toward this style of parenting-I'm just trying to educate myself & understand a bit more, since my friend vents to me sometimes about the night feeding issues.
It may have a bit to do with the parenting style. If I had to guess, I would say that the baby wakes/stirs (as is completely normal) throughout the night, but doesn't have any self-soothing methods so relies on the nursing to comfort herself back to sleep (like a pacifier). I had a bit of this experience-- baby stirs a bit in bed so you let her latch on. If she was stirring a bit in her own bed in another room, you wouldn't notice unless she started to really cry.

Is the baby really waking up completely and crying to be fed? If that's the case, perhaps she's not getting enough to eat to last her for a few hours?

My sister-in-law had some issues because she wasn't feeding her babies long enough on each side. She would allow the baby to nurse for a few minutes and then forcibly take a wide awake baby who was still actively sucking off and then hold the pacifier in her mouth because the baby was still fussy. (It seemed fairly obvious to others that the baby was not done eating and still really hungry.) She didn't think she was doing anything wrong because all the books said 5-10 minutes and she was a nurse so she really believed anything after 5 mins was just "using her as a pacifier". With the second child she took my advice and let the baby nurse for a much longer period of time. Immediately the baby started to sleep for a few hours at a time because she wasn't constantly waking up hungry.

Yes I was going to ask about how people coslept as well- I would be terrified. Did you just lay the baby on the bed and trust you wouldn't roll over them? Or were they on top of you? I don't understand how this works.

I slept on my side with my arm in a C-shape on the bed. The baby snuggled in there. I couldn't roll over without moving my arm and if DH were to roll, he would have rolled onto my arm before the baby so I would have noticed.

You honestly never really get into a deep sleep like this. That's why we would put the baby in the crib first and then just bring them into the bed when they woke up wanting to be fed. They stayed for the rest of the night, but I could usually get a few hours of more comfortable sleep before the baby joined us in bed.

The sleep thing is just the baby. Nothing really you can do with some kids. I have 4 and every single one was a totally different sleeper. Still are all different now. My oldest slept in a cosleeper (bassinet that buckles to straps around the adult mattress so it doesn't move away from the bed). Slept there from birth to 4 months, waking up every 2 hours initially, then sleeping 11-7 with 1 overnight feeding. Then at 4 months, no idea what happened, but she just stopped. Was up every hour crying and needing to nurse. She loved her pacifier, but that just wasn't cutting it. We tried crying, her crib, mattress on the floor (when she was a little older), and nothing. I eventually night-weaned her but she still woke up only now she was up with no way to get her back to sleep. By 6 months she was in our bed full time just so I could nurse her all night and actually get some sleep so I could function the next day. She didn't sleep through the night till she was 2.5yo and had long since been night-weaned (and totally weaned for that matter), and given up the pacifier. However, 2.5 hit, and that was it. Just like a light switch, she got in her bed, slept there alone all night, 11-12 hours. Never a complaint, never looked back, never came in our bed overnight unless she was sick.

My 2nd one, I tried cosleeping for my own ease of night-nursing and he hated it. Also hated to be swaddled. So he slept in the cosleeper, slept 12 hours at night by 3 months, moved to his own room at 5 months.

3rd kid, bad, bad reflux and allergies. I coslept with her because she had to be so upright that even the crib wedge didn't do anything to help. So she slept on my chest as I sat up in a reclined position all night. Even with that, slept 10 hours straight by 4 months. We moved across the country, with a 2 week trip to Europe and 2 week drive across the country, plus hotels after selling our old home before leaving that state and here before our moving truck came, when she was 5-7 months. That screwed with her sleep (she was in a crib then) and she was waking up once or twice a night, maybe more, I don't really remember. But then once we got her crib out here and set up in her room, slept 12-13 hours straight, so I think the waking before that had to do with being in our room and being so close to me.

Now the 4th is here. Some night he stays in the cosleeper, some nights in my bed, some nights both. Sometimes he sleeps 8 hours, sometimes he's up every hour. I'm not worried about it, albeit tired of course, because he'll eventually get there.

Oh, and baby wearing, all of mine were worn during the days. Oldest in a Bjorn, 2nd in a sling, 3rd in a Moby wrap, and 4th in either a sling or wrap. I love them because I love holding my babies when they're still so tiny that they want nothing more than to be held all day, but realistically I need to get work done too, so the wearing devices are wonderful for that.

Oh yeah, how you cosleep, I also sleep with my arm in a C over the baby's head, primarily cause when any of my kids were in my bed, they wanted to nurse and that makes it way easier. I also generally have them between me and the cosleeper, so no risk of my husband rolling on them. Sometimes they've gone in the middle though and he was very cognizant of them being there and slept practically on the edge of the bed. We kept them on top of the blankets so no risk of them getting wrapped up in sheets/blankets. We also have a "snuggle nest" where the baby could sleep in it's own "cage" of sorts inside your bed, but hard sides so no rollover risk. My youngest used that inside the cosleeper initially cause he hated to be swaddled, but still liked the snug feeling of the tiny bed.

The co-sleeping thing horrifies me. I worry so much about the baby getting asphyxiated (is that a word?) I know how exhausting it is to be the parent of a baby and I also realize that the exhausted parent will, on occassion, fall into a very deep sleep and consequently not be arroused by a squirming little one. I don't know, but this whole possibility has been a very frightening thing for me, I was never able to co-sleep.

It should horrify every parent. I know a couple that this happened to. After 2 or 3 sleepless nights the dad had no idea he had rolled onto the baby. Horrifying!!!!!

It should horrify every parent. I know a couple that this happened to. After 2 or 3 sleepless nights the dad had no idea he had rolled onto the baby. Horrifying!!!!!

I didn't co-sleep, but I do know they make things to safe guard it. They have little......boxlike things to keep the baby in one spot. I'm sure someone would feel that if they rolled on it. They also have pack and play type things that only have three sides that butt up against the bed so that they baby isn't in the bed perse.

Yes, my baby slept next to me on the bed and I trusted that I would not roll over him. I was no more terrified that I would roll over on top of my baby, then I was terrified that I would roll off the bed.
I'm sure most people don't go to bed at night terrified that they will roll off the bed. :)

Yes, I heard of attachment parenting--it's very "in vogue" now with the more "natural parenting" types.

This video sums it up pretty well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVA-A0RqkhM

:)

I thought I'd be really into it when I was pregnant, but I haven't followed as many of the principles as I thought I would. I never got into co-sleeping...putting the baby in our bed was out due to the pets (I seriously think if we tried kicking them out our cats our tear up the carpeting outside the door). I slept in the nursery for the first 6 months...but in a twin bed next to the Rock N Play then the crib once she switched to that.

I do babywear with the Boba now and then, but I never had that blissful newborn babywearing experience that I read about. I also realized that I couldn't do jack squat regarding housework when I was babywearing. Sweep the floor? Nope...can't bend down to use the dust pan. Cook something? No--not unless I want the baby's bum or feet over the stove. Empty the dishwasher or load it? No--can't really bend down. About the only stuff I could do in it was clean counters and vacuum. Plus, my baby didn't like the carriers until she was older.

I also thought I'd be all about BLW (baby led weaning)...then I just pictured her gagging and choking on these big chunks of food...so I did homemade purees instead.

The only person I know that really truly did attachment parenting was a next door neighbor. She carried that child everywhere until he was about 4 years old, even into the bathroom when she needed to do her business. He took forever to learn to potty train and had real trouble being away from her. She always seemed exhausted.

My kids are 7 & 8 now. Back when they were babies, there were a few moms in our playgroup that did the attachment parenting. I quietly thought they were weirdos, but now their kids are older and they're completely normal.

Just a different parenting technique. I don't think it harms or helps the kid at all. To me, it's just a major unnecessary, unhelpful, inconvenience.

I have only one friend who has an 8yr old boy who still sleeps with her only while her husband is in the other room...

Does anyone else feel like an oddball when they read about things like this? I have no idea what my parenting style was. When my daughter was hungry, I fed her. When she was sleepy, I put her to bed. Sometimes I held her while she napped and other times I didn't. She never slept in the bed with us, but she did sleep in our room for a while. She didn't sleep in her crib for the first few months, but my husband and I did discover that putting her in her swing meant a good night's rest for us. Sometimes we put her in the stroller, sometimes I carried her, sometimes she was in a sling. We didn't have a set anything and I really didn't realize that there were all of these books out there that told parents that they were doing it all wrong unless they did it this specific way or that they were sure to raise a child successfully if they did it that specific way. I just did my thing completely unaware that I could have been reading books all along that told me how to properly raise my child. Heck, I think that book would have stressed me out more than I already was. :confused3

I practice attachment style parenting with my 3 girls. The oldest is a teen and I still do, though the physical component is obviously not there - I don't wear her anymore lol! FWIW, just to dispel a common stereotype, she was extremely capable and independent at an early age - well in advance of most of her friends. She can hardly wait to move out of the house and go off to college!

It's worked very well for us. Of course, we've customized our approach to fit our family and each unique child.

I practice attachment style parenting with my 3 girls. The oldest is a teen and I still do, though the physical component is obviously not there - I don't wear her anymore lol! FWIW, just to dispel a common stereotype, she was extremely capable and independent at an early age - well in advance of most of her friends. She can hardly wait to move out of the house and go off to college!

It's worked very well for us. Of course, we've customized our approach to fit our family and each unique child.

So how do you attachment parent a teen?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter