Have you had your hair patted down by the TSA?

MaryAnnDVC

"Mare", DISing since '99; prefers being tagless
I saw a report on HLN about an African American woman claiming racial bias because her hair was patted down by the TSA. She said that people were looking at her and she felt embarrassed. She noted that she saw other women with ponytails whose hair wasn't patted down.

The reason the story made an impression on me is that I've only heard of a hair pat down once before...two weeks ago, when we left Providence for Orlando, and my oldest DD (23) said after we got through security that she had her hair (in a ponytail) patted down. Our other DD (20) had her hair in a ponytail and didn't have hers patted down. As with anything else with the TSA, it was random. We thought it was sort of amusing, as we had never heard of it before, and joked about what she could be hiding in there. The fact that she had hers patted down, and we never noticed anyone else getting their hair patted down (we never noticed HER getting hers done) only speaks to the fact that airport security is chaotic, and we're more concerned with keeping our eyes on our stuff.

End of story, until I saw the story on HLN today. Never thought twice about my DD's hair being touched, anymore than the fact that *I* was taken aside publicly to have my hands swabbed in Orlando on our return trip. No big deal with that either.

Are hair pat downs a new thing? Common? If you had it done to you, did you object? I mean, the whole TSA thing is annoying and frustrating sometimes, and I'd rather not be slowed down or have people not of my choosing touching me, but it is what it is. We've never felt traumatized.

I have short hair, so I would answer no. That said, I am the picture of the all American male, and I get selected for extra screening all the time. If they are profiling, they are not doing it right. :lmao:

I have short hair, so I would answer no. That said, I am the picture of the all American male, and I get selected for extra screening all the time. If they are profiling, they are not doing it right. :lmao:
So is my DH. He got pulled aside so many times for extra screenings, it was bizarre. (Like you, with short hair, it would never be for that.) He's super WASPy. :confused3 I think this last trip, they left him alone tho. Too busy patting down DD's hair and swabbing my hands at the time I guess!

Yes, DD15 had her hair/ponytail patted down recently at LAX. She's a white girl with blonde hair. Nothing racial about it...it's another random thing they do to give the appearance of safety.

Ooohoooh me me!

I got the full on pat down in July on my way home from Greece. Hair too. No bigs.

No, but I've had my purse swabbed while the guard/agent loudly announced that the test would reveal if there were or had been any illegal or bomb-making substances carried in the bag and I would be going to jail. Everyone did stop and stare, and it was embarrassing.

It actually freaked me out a little bit because I had bought the bag second hand. How the heck do I know what someone else carried around in it? :eek: Fortunately apparently the previous owner wasn't a terrorist or a meth head, because I got the official okie dokie and got to go on my way. To tell you the truth, the guy looked kinda disappointed. :laughing:

I'm a blue eyed white girl, so there wasn't anything racial about it. Frankly I think there are an unfortunate few who just like to pull out the race card any time they don't get their way or don't like something. :confused3

I'm a white girl with short hair.. On our last flight to Ohio, my hair was patted down and my ears as well. I suspect that my earrings may have been the cause but who knows:confused3

No, but they did yank my carryon for further inspection to see what that big bomby lookin' thingy was at the bottom of the huge Disney bag...a big green gummy bear.

No, but they did yank my carryon for further inspection to see what that big bomby lookin' thingy was at the bottom of the huge Disney bag...a big green gummy bear.

Yeah...things are a little ridiculous. I just took my DH to the airport here near post:-)sad1: Back to deployment) where 90% of their fliers are military. They took his soap and shaving cream. He was like crap...now how am I supposed to shave? They KNOW where these men and women are going. I mean come on!

But I DO get it...his first flight was commecial so they have to go by TSA standards.

It's annoying how some of the agents let some things go though. He CAME home with the full size soap and shaving cream...ON A COMMERCIAL FLIGHT...but this time was a no go.

I could see where this woman took it personally if she wasn't aware that others are patted as well though.

No, but I've had my purse swabbed while the guard/agent loudly announced that the test would reveal if there were or had been any illegal or bomb-making substances carried in the bag and I would be going to jail. Everyone did stop and stare, and it was embarrassing.

It actually freaked me out a little bit because I had bought the bag second hand. How the heck do I know what someone else carried around in it? :eek: Fortunately apparently the previous owner wasn't a terrorist or a meth head, because I got the official okie dokie and got to go on my way. To tell you the truth, the guy looked kinda disappointed. :laughing:

I'm a blue eyed white girl, so there wasn't anything racial about it. Frankly I think there are an unfortunate few who just like to pull out the race card any time they don't get their way or don't like something. :confused3

This happened when I was flying from Greensboro, NC back up to Buffalo.. except.. it tested positive for explosives :scared1: They had to send up some sort of alert and like 3 people had to go through my entire suitcase of dirty undies and items from my weekend away with ex-BF :guilty: I've never been so embarrassed in all my life. For the record, that suitcase had never come into contact with anything CLOSE to explosives.. I have no clue what it detected.

Yeah...things are a little ridiculous. I just took my DH to the airport here near post:-)sad1: Back to deployment) where 90% of their fliers are military. They took his soap and shaving cream. He was like crap...now how am I supposed to shave? They KNOW where these men and women are going. I mean come on!

But I DO get it...his first flight was commecial so they have to go by TSA standards.

It's annoying how some of the agents let some things go though. He CAME home with the full size soap and shaving cream...ON A COMMERCIAL FLIGHT...but this time was a no go.

Oh man, what a hassle. :headache:

This happened when I was flying from Greensboro, NC back up to Buffalo.. except.. it tested positive for explosives :scared1: They had to send up some sort of alert and like 3 people had to go through my entire suitcase of dirty undies and items from my weekend away with ex-BF :guilty: I've never been so embarrassed in all my life. For the record, that suitcase had never come into contact with anything CLOSE to explosives.. I have no clue what it detected.

Is that why he's your ex BF? :lmao:

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

YES!!! Back in May, I had only my hair patted down. This was after I did the new full body scan. I am white with short blonde hair. However, that day it was back combed very big!! LOL It's now a joke among my friends and family. Like I would hide something in my hair.

Goodness gracious, something else to think about. :scared1:

That stinks. Back to deployment :hug: and them taking his soap and shaving cream. :sad2:
Another good reason for me to do all the laundry (except for the last thing I wore) before we come home from vacation! :eek:
YES!!! Back in May, I had only my hair patted down. This was after I did the new full body scan. I am white with short blonde hair. However, that day it was back combed very big!! LOL It's now a joke among my friends and family. Like I would hide something in my hair.
I have very big hair, normally (but have had Keratin treatments). I've always said, in it's natural state, something could fly in there and never find its way out. :eek:

Oh, I would get the giggles so bad if they ever did that to me!:rotfl: I'd need pictures too!

Oh, I would get the giggles so bad if they ever did that to me!:rotfl: I'd need pictures too!
I'd be telling them "a little to the left; yeah, right there." I love to have my hair played with. ;) OK, not by strangers in the airport, admittedly.
My left breast was felt up---yep, just the left. My right one must have looked harmless:confused3
Maybe in their shift meeting they said "today's focus will be left breasts; tomorrow, right; the next day, hair." ;)

How my son's sippy cup of milk (that he was drinking) was inspected cracked me up, reminded me of the scene in Monsters Inc where he had a sock on him. Yet his nebulizers and liquid medicine didn't get looked at :confused3

For some folks, TSA would need over time for a hair pat down.
big-hair-e1283279868625.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter