Have you ever seen Space Mountain with the lights on?

Monkey Monkey

DIS Veteran
I mean in person. I think that would be a really cool experience, but I wonder if it would ruin the thrill (though I doubt it).

Does anyone else just grin from ear to ear while riding it? I went on it 3 times yesterday (the last time I had been on SM was in 1987 in WDW!) and loved every minute.

I haven't in person, but I've seen it on youtube. It looks like a blast! For me, on SM, I always think that if I hold my arms in the air they're going to touch the track above, because I can slightly see and I can "feel" that I'm close, and I think with the lights on, it would either confirm that I'm correct and the track is very close, OR that I'm crazy and it's far away and no way I could ever touch it (I think this is probably the right answer)..

I also think that if I rode it with the lights on, I would be so suprised that so much track is smashed in that room!!!

I've been on the ride with lights on...it's really spooky!!!!!! :scared1:

I have. :) It's just a big, gray room with a roller coaster track...it was nothing like I expected! I was on the ride when it broke down, and we were stopped in the dark for a few minutes, and then they turned the lights on. We sat for a few more minutes, and then the CM's came out and pushed the cars back into the station, and we got to ride again (with the lights off, of course!).

I also grin from ear to ear on that ride! It is so fun!

On Sunday my dd and I saw the tunnel for the big lift with the lights one. We were 1/2 way up when they lost power. We sat in the dark for a couple minutes, then turned on the lights. We had to climb out the side, and walk down the stairs. Dh and ds were on the short lift right around the corner from the boarding area. They also had to climb out. I asked if I could go up and look into the big room, but they said no.

Last year during "Rockin' Space Mt" they had the lights up a little bit, and you could see the track.

Cool!

How did you get to do that?

We had stood in line for quite sometime and then they announced that it went down for some reason. Didn't sound like that big of deal...all of the rides do that from time to time. When we checked back...it was more of maintenance issue...anyway...not sure if they forgot to turn the lights back off or if they were using us for testing purposes....no they wouldn't do that....but whatever.................the lights were on!

It was this huge circular track going down and down...making turns that in the dark are not as bad as the track itself looks. I know! I've been on Space Mtn 100's of times and only that one time...which I always said if I could see the track...I would never ride it.

Ya right! 75 times since then...:woohoo:

On Sunday my dd and I saw the tunnel for the big lift with the lights one. We were 1/2 way up when they lost power. We sat in the dark for a couple minutes, then turned on the lights. We had to climb out the side, and walk down the stairs. Dh and ds were on the short lift right around the corner from the boarding area. They also had to climb out. I asked if I could go up and look into the big room, but they said no.

Last year during "Rockin' Space Mt" they had the lights up a little bit, and you could see the track.

That's interesting that it lost power on Sunday, because yesterday morning it was down for at least 2 hours. I was freaking out - I was NOT leaving the park until I could ride it! :laughing: Fortunately it was up again by noon.

I have seen it with the lights dimmed during the rockin' mountain (or whatever it was called) promotion. They played some chili pepper music on Space mountain and on Screamin'. It was kind of cool, but dark is WAY better.

I've never seen the DL version but I saw the DW version. We were there in 05 and apparently it broke down and we were riding the TTA (or their version of the people mover) we went in and all the lights were on and the cars were stopped and they were taking people off the ride and they were climbing down the ladders. I tried to take pics but they have these big plastic walls around the whole ride. (probably because of the TTA). It was neat to see and I wish my pics had turned out but my stupid flash glared off the plastic. I should have turned it off and retook it but the TTA went too fast. We tried to ride around it again but by then the lights were back on. Anyway it was cool to see.

I have seen both DL and WDW's SM with the work lights on. It was neat to be able to "see" the differences firsthand.

You can actually a model of the track in the 50 yrs theater building. There are models of a few different things in there and SM is one, they also have little signs that show how fast you are going at certain points on the ride.

I haven't seen DL but i was lucky enough to be on the TTA at WDW when Space Mountain was down and thankfully I had my camera out so I was able to grab a small video of what it looks like. It really one of those awesome once in a while experiences and just amazing to see with the lights on. :banana:

I can't remember if it was at DL or WDW, but years ago, I saw with the lights on briefly during a mechnical problem. As others have mentioned, it was a big room with roller coaster tracks. Nothing mind blowing, or anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter