• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you ever gotten sick at Disney?

krismanda

Mouseketeer
Our last trip my son (10 months at the time) caught a HORRIBLE stomach bug. Luckily it was just the last two days of our trip and none of the rest of us got it but it was such a bummer (and it was like a 2 week recovery!) I am so paranoid about this happening to us again. :/. I mean you spend so much time and money to make your trip perfect and then bam! Ruined.

I'm so sorry to hear that :( No stomach bugs thankfully, but on our last trip in 2011 my then 4yo and I got a really nasty head cold. Luckily it was nothing that a call into our pediatrician, a trip to the pharmacy, and some OTC meds couldn't handle. We only had one really bad day (half a day really) where I barely made it through our dinner at the Crystal Palace but after that it was manageable. I'm not sure if it was the heat and humidity or adrenalin or whatever but after that one bad afternoon and a slightly off day following we were pretty much fine thankfully. No matter how careful you are, getting sick seems out of control sometimes and is always a slight worry of mine.

on his brother's MAW trip, one grandson came down with strep and was to stay in room for 24 hours before we could do anything. MAW was able to extend out stay by about 2 days thank goodness

My oldest (and then, only) daughter spiked a fever on our 3rd day. We took her to the clinic inside Walgreens on Vineland-Apopka Rd. Ear infection. We were in and out with medicine in about 45 minutes.

Since she didn't have anything contagious and seemed fine on fever-reducers, we loaded her up in the stroller and had a nice evening touring World Showcase...nothing too strenuous.

She was fever free the next morning, and we resumed our vacation as normal save for the pool since she couldn't get her ears wet.

Many times :sad2: Actually now that I think about it, every time :lmao:

The first time was a nasty cold where I lost my voice and got conjunctivitis. I left my glasses at home and couldn't wear my contacts so everything was fuzzy.

Then there was the stomach bug (or food poisoning) that hit the night before our last day and stopped me from doing all our souvenir shopping.

Then there was the time I fainted at California Grill.

And the time my Crohn's disease flared up and had to make a trip to the Doctor to get some prescriptions for some meds.

I wonder what will happen this time... :rolleyes2

My husband got Influenza, spent one morning at urgent care being diagnosed, on day 10 of our trip. It could have been from the plane or from Disney or from Universal. My children also had flu symptoms but were not diagnosed.

I think with that many people touching that many things, it's very difficult to not share germs.

I got a terrible cold back in February 1997 or 98. It was cool/cold and we went on splash mountain and I got wet and that did it for me.

I now know to never go to WDW if I have to bring winter clothes from home. Give me summer, heat, humidity, sweat, etc...

DS, then about 5, got a stomach bug on Wednesday of our week-long trip. DH got it on Friday and older DS made it til we pulled into our drive way on Saturday. When little guy got anxious he would put his hands in his mouth and that was his first trip doing all the 40 inch stuff and while most of it was great for him.....I think those hands went into his mouth a lot more than normal. Little guy's sick only lasted about 12 hours during the night and we honestly did not realize it was a true virus and not something he had eaten till DH got sick. He missed no park time as he was pretty much ok the next morning, but DH missed our last day in the park. After this trip, I learned to carry a few "sick" supplies and extra PJs etc.

After a horrible 2 year period with both DH and I losing our jobs and finally getting back on our feet, we booked a long weekend trip to Disney in early December of that year to celebrate. It was a 4 night trip. I was fine at work all morning and then in the car to the airport for our late flight I just didn't feel well. Ended up with strep (first time having it since I was in elementary school) and was MISERABLE for the first 1.5 days. Went to the minute clinic at CVS and was diagnosed with strep and given antibiotics. It took the rest of that day to kick in. I did feel better the last day and a half of the trip (but still had a decent sore throat). Add to that a cold snap came through and it was literally 25 degrees our last day in the MK. Luckily the rest of the family didn't get it and we still managed to do a lot and have fun.

We went for two weeks in February. In the middle half of the 2nd week, my husband got the norovirus. It was horrible for 2 days. Thank goodness we stayed at Kidani and had a one bedroom with 2 bathrooms. He used one bathroom and we used the other. Ugh.

Every long trip we take (over 5 days) someone ends up with an upset tummy. I think it's just due to eating so differently than we do at home. I'm fairly certain I know where every bathroom is in every park.

Both DS and I were sick at Disneyland - just the general "blah's" - probably fighting something more than actually being sick.

Still, we wash our hands more often, use hand sanitizer (which I'm usually not a fan of) and go about our way - albeit slower than we otherwise might.

Also, I carry with a small pharmacy of "just in case" meds.

I think this happens to every family at least once when you take vacations.
Our second trip to Disney my youngest got hit with the tummy bug, was in the hotel for 2 days. 3rd day she was in the stroller all day (she was 6 at the time) and the same trip my oldest got a head cold. she's get a nasty sounding cough that doesnt bother her but sounds horrible. we'd be standing in lines for rides and she'd be hacking and people around me were looking at me like "get that kid out of here lady!" it was a rough trip
we also missed MVMCP because the two of them were sick. that was rough and rough on the middle child who was healthy and had to miss out :(

and the last time we went I had some crazy stuff happen with my legs. I think it was a combination of my shoes being too tight along with the horribly humidity but my legs were killing me after our first day there (we flew in and spent 1/2 the day in the park that same day) the next day my lower legs looked very veiny to me but I ignored it. trying to sleep night 2 I was in horrible pain in my legs
morning of day 3 my legs hurt bad and my sister says "did you bruise your leg or something?" the whole lower part of one of my legs looked like it had one huge bruise on it! the other leg looked very blueish and veiny
it was CRAZY! I went back to the hotel and put my feet up iced my legs and searched online
it appears that it was just from my feet having swelled and my shoes being too tight to compensate along with the humidity and walking so much more than usual that caused it
I was freaking out. Every day I had to take afternoon breaks to go back to the hotel to elevate my feet and ice my legs!

Next trip I'm wearing flip flops on the plane (in case feet swell) and being sure my sneakers are quite loose!

Luckily we've never been sick. Once I had a horrible virus the week before. Since I had vacation coming up I had to work through that. It was horrible. I had blisters on my throat, a terrible cough, lost my voice. The warm Florida air cleared it up once I got there but I still had a cough.

My aunt went down and her DD had to have her appendix removed at the end of the trip. That sucked! They had to extend their vacation by a few days and they drove from NJ. The ride back took them a good 48 hours.

We had a trip where a couple of my kids consecutively got sick with bronchitis and ear infections. We had to find our way to a clinic and then take a cab to the only pharmacy in the area my insurance would cover. Very time consuming. I spent most of thT trip in the tiny hotel room sitting in the dark. That was the trip we decided to cram all 6 of us in a single room at Port Orleans. Won't do that again.

yep, one year DH got a fever and general blah feeling, this year it happened to me. Also I was pregnant and had horrible morning sickness one year and then same day we left Disney then DH came down with a stomach virus.

Yes DD (6yrs old)this past September woke up in middle of night vomiting.. She felt a little better in the morning so continued with our plans to AK, well that lasted an hour and she was back at it again. We had to get a shopping bag from a gift shop to take on bus for her to use

My DS (4 1/2 at the time) got sick on day 2 of our trip in 2012. He was acting very put of sort at the end of day 2 and over night he spiked a pretty high fever. We called down to the front desk and they actually helped me arrange for a concierge dr to come to the room. The doctor was great! dS had a really bad ear infection. The dr gave us the antibiotics we needed to get him better. He was out of the parks for 2 days because of how crummy he felt, but was able to join me and our DDs for hoop de do on day 4 and was back to himself by day 5.
The only downside to the dr was that he wouldn't file with any insurance. We paid him directly, and then he gave us all the paperwork that we'd need to submit a claim to our insurance directly. Then they reimburse us what they would have paid him.
It was so on much better than dragging DS to the ER (we know from past experience, most places with minute clinics (like CVS or Walgreens) won't treat kids with fever over 103). We'll worth the $ to have him better!

My brother's first trip to Disney: he got the chicken pox! Even though all of us kids were vaccinated! Luckily, it only lasted two days and he was cleared for the cruise that followed. He missed our Epcot day, but being five, he didn't mind.

I got a bad cold halfway through our trip this time. I was still able to power on though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter