Have you ever been. . .

I will usually say "Thanks for volunteering me without actually checking to see if that was cool. I really appreciate you giving my time." Then I either do it (if another person is in a bind or something) but won't if it is a inconvenience. I do address them that volunteering me for something is pretty rude.

I've belonged to organizations where the major reason people showed up for meetings was that, if you were absent, you'd be volunteered to take on stuff.

Like the time I ended up being the supervisor/sponsor for rec volleyball at my school... I didn't even know how to keep score for the game!

This happened to me recently at a place I have been volunteering at for over 15 years. I volunteer A LOT there, and have been 'voluntold' there throughout the years for various things. This latest incident kind of pushed me over the edge, though, and caused me to rethink the time I devote there, so I've decided to call it quits as a volunteer for now.

I wasn't quite told, but it seems like all the rectors we've had at our church just assume you'll do something and the onus is on you to say you won't. Mostly I've tried to do it if I can, the exception being that I've been 'asked' several times to help with phone campaigns and I'm awful at cold calling people. I begged off of those. Sometimes I suggest other people they could ask, but only if I think they'd genuinely be interested.

Yes.

And dh and I got in a huge argument. Not because he 'volunteered' me, but because he gave me less than 24 hours notice and expected me to drop ship and do it without comment or thought. Like I have no life or committments. I felt like he was disrespectful not even to ask me if there was something else going on that might make the 'volunteering' situation an issue.

I did it...but he heard me loud and clear.

Kelly

Generally I will make plans to have to be doing something else at the time someone else volunteered me. No one is in control of my time but me. If you volunteer my time you had better be ready to do it yourself.

My mother loved to volunteer me to babysit my cousins kids when I was a teen. I would volunteer to take a shift at work. Eventually she figured out that every time she volunteered my time I would disappear and she was stuck doing it. She stopped.

LOL, you learn something new everyday. Voluntold! :goodvibes

As for me, NO. People know better than to do that to me. Ain't ..gonna..HAPPEN.:smokin:

This person I know tried to volunteer me in her place.

When she told me, I let her know I wasn't doing it and didn't show up. She called me to complain because the people involved called her since that's the phone number they had.

I told her not my problem because I didn't volunteer and I had told her I wasn't doing it. That was 3 years ago and it's never happened since.

No one volunteers me unless I have previously told them that I would like them to sign me up.

Those of you who say that you are 'voluntold', do you actually DO the task that someone else volunteered you for??? Why? If someone volunteered me for something I didn't want to do, I would call the powers that be and tell them "I'm sorry, but I cannot do that, I was not the one who volunteered, and if I had been able to do it, I would have volunteered to do it. You'll have to find someone else".

My husband has volunteered me for things about twice. He knows better now than to do it again. Once I did it because I didn't mind that much, but he heard about it. The second time it happened, he ended up doing the task instead of me. :rotfl2: I"m confident that he will never volunteer me again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter