Have you ever been mistaken for a CM?

Make sure when you point you use 2 fingers

So funny. Before we had our son, my husband and I got mistaken for CM's all the time. Our standard answer was" I'm not a cast member but I can probably answer your question!" Then of course they were curious about how we knew so much, we'd laugh and say "when you've been her over 20 times, you kinda learn where things are. The best one though was in front of Mexico, we were both holding drinks and were asked if we worked there. I was thinking well now do you really think they let the CM's drink on duty.although I bet there are more than a few CM's who could use a drink from time to time. Kinda miss those days. They tend to stop asking questions when you have your child with you.:confused3

The best one though was in front of Mexico, we were both holding drinks and were asked if we worked there. I was thinking well now do you really think they let the CM's drink on duty.although I bet there are more than a few CM's who could use a drink from time to time. Kinda miss those days.

That's what I found amusing about it the first couple of times. The first time I remember, I was running solo at HS over by ToT. I had a drink in my hand, and I was taking a picture of ToT. I was decked out with a stash of snacks hanging out of my pockets. :rotfl:

This couple approaches me and asks if I can help them with their reservations. I told them they can check with the restrauant or with guest services. They replied they didn't realize I was not an employee.

Do you SEE this camera around my neck? The snacks? The I love Disney hat? How do you miss those things? :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Besides....Even if I WAS a CM, I was in the middle of the street. Hardly near a computer where I might be able to assist them!

Boggles the mind. But they seemed like nice folks, so I pointed them over to Brown Derby which I think was able to help them. :yay:

Only once.. that I know of, at least in the parks. I have people at home ask me if I used to work there because I'm always talking about Disney or giving advice.

On my last trip I was at the first Halloween party and was in line for Haunted Mansion. There was only maybe 9 or 10 people total in the stretching room. I stayed in the room to hear the gargoyles and another lady with 2 kids did too. We walked out together and she asked how I knew about it and all that. After the ride we ended up walking out together and I gave her little ones some glow in the dark bracelets that I'd gotten from Target. She asked if I was a CM and I said "oh no, wish I was though. Why do you ask?" She basically thought I was because I knew about the gargoyles and was friendly and all that jazz. I was wearing a black and orange tiedye shirt so I assume she just figured I was off duty hanging out at the park.

And for what it's worth I've taken to doing the 2 finger point at work just out of politeness.

DH had it happen a couple of years ago. We went to see The Osbourne Lights at DHS. He was taking pictures of the lights and our 4 month old DS. The next thing he knows, people are approaching him with their Photopass cards. Hard to confuse him with a CM as he was wearing shorts, showing off all of his Jessica Rabbit tattoos and a Mickey Santa hat. I think they saw someone with a tripod and no line and assumed he was a photographer.

Thought I'd add my experience that just happened this past weekend at SWW. I dressed up as Anakin Skywalker (the heat! Yeah I know) and was standing with family in queue line for Queen Amidala.

I was approached not once but three times by people asking where and how to sign up for JTA. It wasn't until riding Star Tours did one family, who had been in the queue line as well, noticed me again and the wife said to me,"Oh! You don't work at Disney! Now I get why you were laughing about it."

This happened to use once during our last trip. A CM at POTC gave my sister and I SOOOOO many stickers (we literally had about 50) We weren't complaining as we use them back at home all the time. When we were headed up Main St, a little girl was crying. She had fallen over (very small graze on her knee) so we stopped and gave the parents some bandaids and we gave the the little girl some stickers (she stopped crying straight away) The parents thought we were CM's but we told them we were just guests :)

This has happened to my DH several times, and always when he is wearing his Navy button up Short sleeve shirt with a WDW crest on the pocket with his Tan slacks. It has always cracked me up as 1. He carries a large camera bag, 2. Is wearing a ball cap (usually Grumpy) and 3. Is usually holding my hand. The most memorable one was on Main Street, and the woman chased him down. He told her he wasn't a CM but would answer her question if he could. She looked really confused, but then proceeded to ask several questions.

That's what I found amusing about it the first couple of times. The first time I remember, I was running solo at HS over by ToT. I had a drink in my hand, and I was taking a picture of ToT. I was decked out with a stash of snacks hanging out of my pockets. :rotfl:

This couple approaches me and asks if I can help them with their reservations. I told them they can check with the restrauant or with guest services. They replied they didn't realize I was not an employee.

Do you SEE this camera around my neck? The snacks? The I love Disney hat? How do you miss those things? :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Besides....Even if I WAS a CM, I was in the middle of the street. Hardly near a computer where I might be able to assist them!

Boggles the mind. But they seemed like nice folks, so I pointed them over to Brown Derby which I think was able to help them. :yay:

Look, honey... a Streetmosphere actor portraying a tourist! :lmao:

Look, honey... a Streetmosphere actor portraying a tourist! :lmao:

I took my younger son and D-I-L down there several years ago. My younger D-I-L is a little ditzy (what am I saying, she is a full blown ditz and proud of it:rotfl:). Anyway, one day we were in DS and she had worn a pair of very bright yellow Croc clogs.:rolleyes1 There was a middle age couple walking around in the area, who were just exceedingly loud and boisterious. You could hear the woman's loud, bellowing laughter over all the other noises that abound in that area and the wife kept yelling out comments to other tourists as they walked by. They were that loud and attention getting. Anyway, the man was wearing sandles with knee socks, a bright Hawaian print shirt, a large straw hat, lanyard, etc. His wife was wearing huge sunglasses, a large straw hat, and this brilliant (blinding almost) Hawaian mumu dress and was wearing the exact bright yellow Crocs my D-I-L was, with striped knee socks that clashed horribly with her flowered mumu. My D-I-L who never meets a stranger, walked up to the lady, raised her feet up, and said I love your shoes.:rotfl: They got to talking and my D-I-L decided she wanted a picture with them. After we walked off, I explained to my D-I-L about Streetmosophere actors and undercover security. To this day, we are not sure if that couple were actors, undercover security, or just tourists with bad taste. I thought they might be undercover security, my husband and son both thought they were Streetmosphere actors, but my D-I-L swears to this day that they were just tourists having a good time. CMs or not, we're still not sure.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: The man seemed to keep looking around like he was keeping his eyes on things, but the wife went into a big spiel about staying at the Grand Floridian and all the stuff they had seen and done. It was like everything was hugely exaggerated and bigger than life with everything she was saying and she was just so loud and giggly. Their clothes and her actions were just a little too over the top, not to be a Disney employee. Still not absolutely sure though.

They were that loud and attention getting. Anyway, the man was wearing sandles with knee socks, a bright Hawaian print shirt, a large straw hat, lanyard, etc. His wife was wearing huge sunglasses, a large straw hat, and this brilliant (blinding almost) Hawaian mumu dress and was wearing the exact bright yellow Crocs my D-I-L was, with striped knee socks that clashed horribly with her flowered mumu.

To this day, we are not sure if that couple were actors, undercover security, or just tourists with bad taste. I thought they might be undercover security, my husband and son both thought they were Streetmosphere actors, but my D-I-L swears to this day that they were just tourists having a good time.

Definitely sounds like some of the Streetmosphere actors I've encountered there in the past.

No, not a CM. But, a photo pass person. haha. I guess it was my camera with the long lens that inspired them to ask some questions about where they could find Fest.of the lion king in Animal Kingdom.

My DH had many cast members last trip think he was a CM or at least a former one. The reason is that he has a hip pin lanyard (one of th square pieces of canvas type material many of the CMs have) they had them for sale once a few years ago but I have never seen them since. Apparently now they are only given to CMs so they think because he has one he must work there.

I also had a guest stop me in hollywood studios when I was on my own and ask where we were on his map, however I don't think he thought I was a cast member, just that I was someone that might know where we were standing.

I've never been mistaken for a CM, but for some reason whenever we go out places (stores, restaurants, etc.) people always think I work there. I guess I look like I know what I'm doing? Which is usually the opposite of the truth... :lmao:

Yes all the time. I don't know why, but I guess I've been so many times that I just look like I fit into the atmosphere!!

Enjoy The Magic!!

Since this thread isn't about attractions and strategies, I've moved it to the Theme Parks Community board. :)

This happens to me all the time too. Definitely when I am wearing Khaki shorts and a polo shirt.

I find this happens a lot when I am not carrying tourist stuff, and I always look like I know where I am going, not clueless like a noob tourist.

In addition, I am often waiting for my family who is shopping, standing outside watching people go by. That makes me look official and someone ALWAYS comes up to ask me for help.

When I am not in a hurry, I will always ask someone who looks confused if they need help. And I keep my ears open for questions and offer answers without being nosy or pushy.

And once I answer one person's question... well, someone else nearby notices and THEY have a question, and another.. actually I love it. I carry my own compilation of the day's hours and entertainment from various web sites and I hate not knowing the answer to any question! But like a good retiree castmember wannabe, I always take them someplace where they can get their question answered.

I had a CM mistake me for a CM once.

I was about 20, walking in Old Key West, wearing a Hawaiian style shirt and a souvenir name tag. A CM pulled up alongside me in a golf cart and hollered at me to tuck in my shirt.

I jumped to and did it and he drove off, and it wasn't until later that I realized he must have thought I was an employee in "bad show" state of dress.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter