Have you ever asked to have something horrible taken off your bill?

Yes.
. . . at Shula's when they changed the sautéed mushroom recipe
. . . at Artist Point when appy was too close to entrée
. . . at Citricos when the salad tomatoes where not right
. . . at Rain Forrest when dessert came so late we where read to leave

1. did you eat it?
  2. so what!
  3. did you eat the salad?
  4. define late?

I had a club sandwich at Kona that had an avocado mayo, and I hate avocados! I'm really picky about dressings, but the menu didn't say anything about mayo, so I figured I was good. I ended up eating just a few bites and planned on filling myself up with the chips. The waitress came over though and took the sandwich off the menu--- which I told her profusely she did NOT have to do! I ordered their yummy dessert, and we tipped her the cost of the sandwich. :goodvibes

yes.

We're not "traditional" complainer-warts. Hardly complain at all. But one year we ate at Coral Reef and I asked for some lobster dish. When it came it had some sort of tomatoe-y sauce in it. I took one bite and I just couldn't stomach it. Lobster and tomatoe sauce do not belong on the same plate together, I'm sorry (and I'm from Maine - I should know).

They took it off the bill... they were good about it.

It hasn't happened ever again and I haven't been back to Coral Reef...

Tammy
:surfweb:

This is the exact example of what I think is WRONG.
If you order a dish and it arrives, prepared as described, and you just don't like the taste, you should not expect the restaurant to take it off the bill. That is not their fault. Poor choice on your part, live and learn!!!

I'm with a lot of the PP's on here, if something is poor quality or prepared incorrectly, I'd send it back, but if it's just something that I don't like due to personal taste, I'd deal with it.

I've sent things back when I did not realize there was going to be mayonnaise on it (usually sandwiches) because I'm not going to eat a sandwich with mayonnaise on it. Usually I ask about mayonnaise but sometimes, if it's not in the menu, I won't remember that I should ask.

Don't be scared by the thread, it's just a collection of everyones "worst" stories in one place, it does not mean that WDW restaurants regularly serve "horrible" food. I've had that happen a couple of times but I've been going to WDW regularly for 12 years and it's only been a couple of times (still trying to figure out how the Concourse Steakhouse could ruin pizza).

I've been to WDW 22 times within the past 15 years. In all of that time, I have had one dish comped. And quite honestly, I didn't ask to have it removed from my bill. I did not eat more than one bite of the dish and would have returned it had our server returned to our table in a timely manner. By the time he came and questioned why I was not eating the dish, the other members of my party were almost finished.

The dish was the Greek lasagna at Kouzzina and it was served to me cold.

I have, at times, chosen dishes that were disappointing but that's from me making a poor choice rather than it being inedible.

If you order a dish and it arrives, prepared as described, and you just don't like the taste, you should not expect the restaurant to take it off the bill. That is not their fault. Poor choice on your part, live and learn!!!

This happened to me. I ordered something that I ended up not liking. However, I was not going to just not eat so I asked the server if I could order something else. I stated that I would be more then happy to pay for both entrees since it was my fault. I did not expect it to be taken off the bill.

However, when the server brought the bill, it had been removed. I figured it was pixie dust and tipped appropriately (since the server essentially had to serve me two entrees).

Now I do not support not liking something and insisting it is taken off the bill because YOU made the wrong choice. Pay for another entree if that is the issue.

Lobster and tomatoe sauce do not belong on the same plate together, I'm sorry (and I'm from Maine - I should know).

This isn't true. I'm Cuban of Spanish descent and there's plenty of shellfish dishes (including lobster) cooked in a tomato paste broth.

Our food and service were so horrible at the Brown Derby that the manager charged us only for 3 credits rather 6. It was a two credit per person meal.

Of all the meals we've had a Disney (and it's a lot) we've only asked for something else once. It was at Kona in 2009 and my DM's steak was so tough that it was inedible. She ordered a different entree-Tuna Oscar, I think? We've had a few iffy meals (right now the only 1 I can think of is DD's chicken nuggets at 50's PTC) but we didn't ask for something else.

Whether we are eating at Disney or anywhere else, if our meal is inedible then we do ask to have it corrected. But as I said, it hasn't happened at Disney too often.:goodvibes

When DD was 3, they served her chicken at Chef's De France that was still raw in the middle. Luckily, we always cut her chicken in pieces for her, so we saw it before she ate it. Our server took one look at it, and took it back to the kitchen and brought DD back perfectly cooked chicken. She really liked her meal there, once she got the correctly prepared version.

The only time I have ever asked that anything be taken off the bill was when we ordered something, and never received it (drink, appetizer, dessert, etc), but it still showed up on the bill. This has happened to us a few times at WDW. So, if you never received something, be sure and check your bill to make sure you weren't charged for it.

If its a fault of the kitchen - bad ingredients, not cooked correctly, not safe then you have every single right in the world to have it sent back. I would almost venture to say that you have a duty to do this so the chef is getting direct feedback on how his kitchen is running and to save you fellow diners any heartaches. You're not a complainer.

If on the the other hand, you decided to be adventurous and didn't like what you got - well, tough schnikeys. That one is one you :)

This is my attitude, too. If I simply didn't like something (but it was cooked correctly, wasn't ice cold, etc., I'd chalk it up to a poor choice by me, and would not send it back.

But if it was the fault of the kitchen (under or overcooked, served cold if meant to be served hot, etc.), then by all means send it back. I had this happen at Raglan Road; my fish and chips were undercooked. The batter on the fish was actually runny in spots, and the temperature was lukewarm, not hot. I sent it back - it was inedible!

We have had 3 DXDP trips in the past 2 years and we have never had any dish that was bad enough to send back, most were wonderful and a few mediocre but everything was definately edible. We did have horrible service one lunch at LTT including the waiter not letting our kids order what they wanted (long story) but the manager reversed our credits once he finally came over. It and Tony's are the only place we will not return, it was just a waste because there are so many better meals to be had.

For the instance that I posted on that "worsts" thread, well, the server was nowhere to be seen through most of our meal, and we were under a time deadline to get to a Wishes cruise. So we didn't want to wait around on him to take our entrees off the bill and risk missing our boat!

BUT, that was the only instance in all of our meals at Disney, where our food was just badly prepared. I've had one or two other meals where I just didn't care for the taste of what I ordered, but to me that is not a reason to send something back. Now, if a server notices I'm not eating it and offers to take it off the bill, I might take them up on that, but I would never ask for it.

Well y'all have made me feel a little better! :) That thread is 54 pages of really scary posts.

Don't let that thread get you down. That is everyone posting their single worst experience over sometimes dozens of trips, and the thread has been going since 2009. You're not seeing anything about all the great meals those same people have had at Disney. There's also this thread on "what is the best thing you've eaten at Disney".

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2913252

Now, it was started only a few days ago, literally YEARS later than the "worsts" thread, so it's only 4 pages long right now. But most of the posts on it are people saying something like "Oh, too hard to pick just one thing!", and so they go on to list four or five things. There are several instances where people list something, and say it's the best meal they've eaten anywhere, not just at WDW.

Trust me people do it all the time where I work, I had a guy today order a waffle combo..Did not even try it but seen the other guy across from him and thought his steak tips look better so he sent it back.. To me its tacky in this case but I just sent it back and got the new for him..He was nice enough to wirte F----Y----- on the credit card slip even though I killed them with kindness..sorry had to vent this just bothered me today, the way people treat others...

Wow, what a jerk! Really, I'd write something stronger, but it'd just get asterisked-out by the filter.

Gosh, I would never even do that for someone who gave me horrible service! The worst I would do is just not tip. Or in the case of a waitress who insulted my weight, I left a comment card stating that I would not be returning to that location and why. But to do it to someone who kindly replaced your order for you just because you changed your mind, and who was otherwise great...what the heck?!?!?!

It really floors me to see how badly some people treat any service workers, but especially waitstaff! I worked retail for 8 years, but even though I have some horror stories, my veteran-server uncle can top them all.

For the instance that I posted on that "worsts" thread, well, the server was nowhere to be seen through most of our meal, and we were under a time deadline to get to a Wishes cruise. So we didn't want to wait around on him to take our entrees off the bill and risk missing our boat!

BUT, that was the only instance in all of our meals at Disney, where our food was just badly prepared. I've had one or two other meals where I just didn't care for the taste of what I ordered, but to me that is not a reason to send something back. Now, if a server notices I'm not eating it and offers to take it off the bill, I might take them up on that, but I would never ask for it.

Don't let that thread get you down. That is everyone posting their single worst experience over sometimes dozens of trips, and the thread has been going since 2009. You're not seeing anything about all the great meals those same people have had at Disney. There's also this thread on "what is the best thing you've eaten at Disney".

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2913252

Now, it was started only a few days ago, literally YEARS later than the "worsts" thread, so it's only 4 pages long right now. But most of the posts on it are people saying something like "Oh, too hard to pick just one thing!", and so they go on to list four or five things. There are several instances where people list something, and say it's the best meal they've eaten anywhere, not just at WDW.

Wow, what a jerk! Really, I'd write something stronger, but it'd just get asterisked-out by the filter.

Gosh, I would never even do that for someone who gave me horrible service! The worst I would do is just not tip. Or in the case of a waitress who insulted my weight, I left a comment card stating that I would not be returning to that location and why. But to do it to someone who kindly replaced your order for you just because you changed your mind, and who was otherwise great...what the heck?!?!?!

It really floors me to see how badly some people treat any service workers, but especially waitstaff! I worked retail for 8 years, but even though I have some horror stories, my veteran-server uncle can top them all.

Thank you..what I dont understand is they tipped me but not much..he didnt sign the credit card slip wrote that on the front and signed a bunch of names on the back..I was thinking maybe he was going to try to tell her credit card company it was not him..It bothered me a couple days, but it was just one of those tables that felt they deserved something in life and wanted to just see how mean and needy they could be.. But I was the better person, I gave them excellent service and did my job, I just hope the karma bus catches up to them..:love:

OP ignore the complaints. We go yearly, on the deluxe dining plan and we have eaten at a majority of the table service restaurants. We have had things that were delicious, we have had things that were average, and we have had things that really weren't to our tastes, but we have never had anything that was just downright bad or nasty or inedible.

I would never send back a meal just because I made a poor choice. The only time I would complain about an item would be if it were not cooked properly or cold.

To answer the question directly--never. And we've been dining at WDW since 1975. Only once was something prepared wrong (raw chicken at Liberty Tree) but we just didn't eat it and have never been back there since.

I would add that there have been a few items I didn't really like, but that was my OWN fault for ordering it in the first place.

I don't know about this. I ordered a dish at Hollywood Brown Derby that, on paper, looked like something I would really like. I ended up not liking the taste of it at all. I wasn't being adventurous, wasn't trying food elements I had never had before, and, as I said, thought it looked really good from the menu description.

I ordered something else, and explained that I really didn't like the taste of the dish, but that it was prepared well. They did not charge me for it.

Put yourself in the place of the restaurant: If you have a customer who does not like his or her food, would you rather make the money from that one dish and have a customer complain about the bad food they were served, not come back, and have the bad word-of-mouth out there (like here on the DIS Boards where tens of thousands of people might see it), or would you like to eat the cost of the dish, prepare something else for the guest, who would then have a story about good food and good customer service to share with others, and, perhaps, a return customer?

We have only been 3 times, but we never had to return anything...

I can't recall ever in my life asking for something to be taken off the bill per se, but I have asked for a replacement (and I don't expect to pay for both items):

1) Not cooked properly (like raw chicken or something)
2) I ordered right but it was wrong (for instance, I asked for baked potato but got fries--one place I was at not at WDW removed my ENTIRE entree from in front of me while they replaced the fries-meanwhile the rest of my family chowed down--couldn't they leave my chicken :confused3)
3) The menu was not descriptive and included some food I cannot stand. (this last one is iffy--I'll usually just eat around it :rotfl2:)

I don't know about this. I ordered a dish at Hollywood Brown Derby that, on paper, looked like something I would really like. I ended up not liking the taste of it at all. I wasn't being adventurous, wasn't trying food elements I had never had before, and, as I said, thought it looked really good from the menu description.

I ordered something else, and explained that I really didn't like the taste of the dish, but that it was prepared well. They did not charge me for it.

Put yourself in the place of the restaurant: If you have a customer who does not like his or her food, would you rather make the money from that one dish and have a customer complain about the bad food they were served, not come back, and have the bad word-of-mouth out there (like here on the DIS Boards where tens of thousands of people might see it), or would you like to eat the cost of the dish, prepare something else for the guest, who would then have a story about good food and good customer service to share with others, and, perhaps, a return customer?

I COMPLETELY agree with this post.

Like I already stated, I'll eat just about anything because I am not a picky eater - but I don't think it is inappropriate at all to politely send something back because your personal taste finds it to be inedible. In college & grad school I worked as a server for years and had no problem taking things back if a customer did not personally like his / her choice. I would much prefer the customer to leave happy with something else and to know that we CARED about the pleasure of his experience, than to leave with a lasting impression of the food at our restaurant not being "good". Even if it is a personal thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter