Have you ever arrived to check in to your Disney resort and....

Just 2 weeks ago I was walked to another resort. I booked FD (via a PIN) back in January for POFQ which was a host resort for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon that I was participating in.

I did online check in 10 days prior to my trip. Got off of ME, went through the online check in queue (no one in front of us so we got the next available CM). I gave our CM Debbie my ID, name, etc as she looked us up on the computer. She was looking through our ressie on her computer and gave a little gasp and excused herself a moment. I jokingly told my Mom that perhaps we were getting an upgrade. In my head that upgrade would have been to a waterview room but honestly I though she was going to get some balloons or a pin to celebrate my first Disney race (that was noted on my ressie).

When Debbie came back to tell us that they would like to offer us a complimentary upgrade I was all ready to accept and when she added "To the Grand Floridian" I immediately started crying! No kidding! I was standing in the lobby of POFQ sobbing like a child! My Mom said my face was bright red! I was sincerely in shock! Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever imagined (most less expected) an upgrade like that! She was so sweet as I held her hands, bawling and nodding YES!

Debbie began processing the change, locating my Mom's rental scooter, issuing us room keys (which would need to be exchanged at the GF) and told us the hotel was booked solid and our dates, number of nights, party size, etc is what they were looking for when flagging people for a move. I can't recall where but I believe my Mom mentioned overhearing someone else being moved to WL.

Debbie gave us a voucher for a taxi (which she called) that included tip. We received a marina view room in Sago Cay. A short walk outside and we had stunning views of MK fireworks (saw HallowWishes) and the Electric Water Parade! Our building was very close to their CS restaurant, Gasparilla Grill. It was fun staying on the monorail line.

The funny thing is I continued to shop discounts for this trip all the way until I made my final payment at 45 days out. I almost have DVC points rented but the only place there was availability was SSR (which was almost as much as my FD and I'd have to pay for taxis instead of getting race transportation). And at one point I was even looking at staying at a value for 3 nights and doing the GF (or any deluxe) for the last night. The GF has kind of always been my Moms dream resort and I thought since it was just the 2 of us that even one night there would be special. No matter what discount I tried I just couldn't make the numbers work for the splurge on this trip.

After the shock wore off and we were discussing the upgrade we were SO glad we weren't ever able to change the ressie or else that Pixie Dust wouldn't have happened!

While I will gladly stay at a value again it was SO much fun to have the opportunity to experience Disney's flagship resort. I understand why people love it there! But it was almost half as fun knowing we paid a pittance and got free dining while enjoying the luxurious surroundings of the Grand Floridian!

Just 2 weeks ago I was walked to another resort. I booked FD (via a PIN) back in January for POFQ which was a host resort for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon that I was participating in.

I did online check in 10 days prior to my trip. Got off of ME, went through the online check in queue (no one in front of us so we got the next available CM). I gave our CM Debbie my ID, name, etc as she looked us up on the computer. She was looking through our ressie on her computer and gave a little gasp and excused herself a moment. I jokingly told my Mom that perhaps we were getting an upgrade. In my head that upgrade would have been to a waterview room but honestly I though she was going to get some balloons or a pin to celebrate my first Disney race (that was noted on my ressie).

When Debbie came back to tell us that they would like to offer us a complimentary upgrade I was all ready to accept and when she added "To the Grand Floridian" I immediately started crying! No kidding! I was standing in the lobby of POFQ sobbing like a child! My Mom said my face was bright red! I was sincerely in shock! Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever imagined (most less expected) an upgrade like that! She was so sweet as I held her hands, bawling and nodding YES!

Debbie began processing the change, locating my Mom's rental scooter, issuing us room keys (which would need to be exchanged at the GF) and told us the hotel was booked solid and our dates, number of nights, party size, etc is what they were looking for when flagging people for a move. I can't recall where but I believe my Mom mentioned overhearing someone else being moved to WL.

Debbie gave us a voucher for a taxi (which she called) that included tip. We received a marina view room in Sago Cay. A short walk outside and we had stunning views of MK fireworks (saw HallowWishes) and the Electric Water Parade! Our building was very close to their CS restaurant, Gasparilla Grill. It was fun staying on the monorail line.

The funny thing is I continued to shop discounts for this trip all the way until I made my final payment at 45 days out. I almost have DVC points rented but the only place there was availability was SSR (which was almost as much as my FD and I'd have to pay for taxis instead of getting race transportation). And at one point I was even looking at staying at a value for 3 nights and doing the GF (or any deluxe) for the last night. The GF has kind of always been my Moms dream resort and I thought since it was just the 2 of us that even one night there would be special. No matter what discount I tried I just couldn't make the numbers work for the splurge on this trip.

After the shock wore off and we were discussing the upgrade we were SO glad we weren't ever able to change the ressie or else that Pixie Dust wouldn't have happened!

While I will gladly stay at a value again it was SO much fun to have the opportunity to experience Disney's flagship resort. I understand why people love it there! But it was almost half as fun knowing we paid a pittance and got free dining while enjoying the luxurious surroundings of the Grand Floridian!

Awww that makes me want to cry too!!! I would have done the same thing - what a fabulous upgrade and a special time for you and your mom!!:wizard:

Hope you felt fabulousy princessy at the GF!:)

I'm one of those who agonizes over every detail of our trip, and making the hotel reservations is the first step in that agonizing process. I think really hard over which resort I want to stay at, and consider traveling to and from places, where to eat, which parks to visit at what times, etc. By the time we get to Disney, a change of resorts would be a MAJOR blow! MAJOR! It wouldn't matter if were were staying value and were updated to deluxe, it would mess my mindset up so much that it would throw me for at least three days. The upgrade to the better room or resort would really throw me for a loop.

We're reserved at BCV in June. If they were overbooked and had to move us, just about the only move that wouldn't send me over the edge would be BWV because it would still fall into the plans I've made. But if they were to move us anywhere else - even to BLT, which I'd love to stay and was my 2nd choice - it would absolutely send me into a tizzy.

I understand why they sometimes have to make those changes, but I truly hope I'm never affected by them if it means going to a different resort.

1) In such cases, you pay the smaller rate, and usually the discount rate.
2) When walked to as better resort,
. . . sometimes there is no additonal charge
. . . sometimes you pay as small upcharge
. . . sometimes you pay a higher discounted rate

A hotel can offer a discounted upgrade in an attempt to handle overbooking. An attractive offer may get enough volunteers. I don't think the hotel can refuse to accommodate you unless you agree to pay. A person says no thank you Disney can hope the next agrees. I don't think Disney can make the guest sleep in the lobby.

I booked a stay in the Fort Wilderness cabins a few years ago. When we got there to check in we were told that there were no more cabins. We got there pretty late like 10:30 or 11 pm. They said there was an issue with 2 cabins and another party was already moved. Well we had 6 people staying in the cabin, so one room wouldnt work. So they ended up walking us to "2" club level wilderness lodge rooms for the same price. worked out to be about $110 a night per room. It was amazing!!!!

What a sweet story! Congrats on the upgrade!

22 years ago on our honeymoon we were moved from CR because of renovations to the brand spankin' new GF! An awesome honeymoon treat! :cool1:

(Please excuse the half-sentence that I just posted) Anyway...

Back in 2000, the last year of my family's yearly trips :sad2:, we were booked for 5 nights at POR and 5 nights at GF (our usual but it was booked for the first 5 nights of our stay). Due to overbooking, all 10 of us wound up being "walked" from POR to CR for the entire 5 nights! :thumbsup2

You are making me nervous. We are soon leaving to stay at CSR and the resort has been completely booked for about six months. I think there are three different conventions during our stay.

I'm like Cathie before, it would really freak me out to move. My days are planned and I know taxi costs, timing etc to and from CSR... and that's it... Once I made up my mind about where to stay I stopped looking into any other resorts, I've looked at the layout, the restaurants, the bus stops etc. If I were moved to POR or CBR I would be really disappointed. I picked CSR over the other two for a reason - I really prefer several items, and although those resorts sound lovely, my desire is to stay at CSR.

If I were downgraded to a Value I don't think I could be compensated enough. I don't want to deal with the crowds and smaller rooms and I really 'need' a moderate because the parks crowds will already be a challenge for DH. (Need those hammocks by the lake at CSR!) and the less busy pools (hence picking a convention hotel.)

As for an upgrade to a Deluxe... even then, there are only a couple that appeal to me as crazy as that sounds. I don't know if I'd turn one down, but I'd need to be convinced, as I'm not prepared - I don't know the resort at all. And I would feel like I was floundering. I definitely would not pay a cent to upgrade. And if they had to move me I would only accept a deluxe for the reasons I picked CSR - queen beds, less crowds, fitness centre, dining options.

Ugh. Oh well, I have a feeling we will be fine. :)

Same here. We are heading to CSR in less than two weeks, and the resort does seem pretty full at this point. If they need to move us, it'll have to be to a resort with queen beds. There are 3 adults, 2 of which are plus-sized, and if we'd wanted to share a double bed for 9 nights we wouldn't have booked CSR. I will stand my ground on that issue, if they HAVE to move us (and we'd rather they don't) it will have to be to a resort with queen beds.

But I'm not too worried, it has never happened to us yet.

You are exactly the type of person I *love* hearing about getting upgrades! Congrats.

in 2005 my mom reserved the yacht club for her me and my little brother

we checked in later, around 9pm and they offered us a savannah view room at akl buuuuuut my mom was not having it. she said she wanted yacht that's why she booked the yacht (understandably so)

BUT with my hotel experience, and common sense there are several parties booking hotel rooms (AAA, independent TA's, and of course, Disney)
this has happened even in my own hotel where expedia and even two desk clerks have overstold us at the same time. as long as the hotel makes up for it, just be gracious, and remember-- it's not who you are looking at that caused this to happen

....which is usually me!:rotfl: hahahaha

For all of you who are worrying....there are thousands of people checking in/out of Disney hotels everyday. The chance that a 'walk' to another resort will happen is very small. In many many trips there in all seasons, we have never had an issue with a room in any of the Disney hotels and we have never been 'up' or 'down' graded. Just be prepared for a magical experience in WDW!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter