• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

have you done both on and off site?

I have done both we stayed on property about 12 years ago for our honeymoon and it was great. But since the kids have come along we stay off property. For a couple of years we stayed in the normal hotels which were great at the time. But then we started staying in the condos much better. Vistana resorts was great we also have rented other condos you can find great prices especially if you need 2 rooms. Plenty of space etc. This year however we are going back on property to the WL for Christmas should be great. We are giving ourselves a treat this year. I truelly believe it all depends on a families budget. If you are limited like we are most of the time off property is the choice because you can save money on the hotel and put that towards your tickets etc. Because we all know once you get to a park you just don't want to ever leave. We have gone to WDW for as low as $800 for 5 day park Hopper 6 day hotel plus food for 3 people. It can be done you just have to plan. Just to say we did everything that we wanted in that trip and had a great time. But we also had the use of buying our tickets from the military which saved us about $150. But everything else anyone could find. My advise is to think about what you want to do and plan accordingly.

We are fortunate, because we have options that many other families don't have...we are eligible for www.afvclub.com and www.getravelop.com, Shades of Green, and government discounts at the Swan/Dolphin because my husband works for the Department of Defense. We take advantage of every single discount we can--including Annual Passes from WDW.

This year, I presented my older kids with an choice: I explained that I have a set amount of $$ budgeted for vacation expenses, and we could do it one of two ways...one nice WDW vacation, or we go twice, doing things a little more affordably. They chose twice :)

I am a little disappointed that we decided to do Spring Break at the last minute (relatively speaking), because condo availability is slim-pickings at this point. We are staying at Shades of Green for 4 or 5 nights and maybe...if the budget permits...a night at the AKL. Not as inexpensive as the condo option, but a good value for Spring Break.

In October, we will definitely stay in a condo....that's our RELAXING vacation. Sleeping late, big breakfasts, etc. We will probably only do the parks 2-3 days in a week's time. We prefer staying in a condo for that--so much nicer and easier to do with 2-3 bedrooms! We will combine that with a night or two at the Dolphin...for a couple of reasons: we love the Dolphin, the boardwalk area, etc. and also because we are doing MNSSHP, and we prefer staying at a WDW resort for the transportation and location on a late night.

Where we stay doesn't really matter to us....while we enjoy the WDW properties, we absolutely LOVED our stays at the HGVC near Sea World and Silver Lake, and plan to take advantage of affordable condos as long as we can!

I cheat - I do both!

I stay offsite in a wonderful timeshare that allows PETS....so spicey can stay in the room with me.

but I also own DVC - so on this trip I am doing OKW on Tuesday and Thursday - why you ask - Tuesday is the only day that early morning and late evening for their surprise hour is happening. I need a day to rest - so that means Thursday....

Next May I spending a week on WDW property thur an exchange.

I use skyauction for this trip - Celebration World resort and for my in law trip before Summer Bay. It is a great nice alternative.
www.skyauction.com

there is also
www.hotelkingdom.com
www.hotelmartusa.com

both are nice and have good prices.
there is also
www.vrbo.com

www.condodirect.com

I also have another timeshare that I use to trade to Orlando - it is RCI so they are off-site - Sheraton Vistana Resort, Hilton Grand Vacation Club.

I have also stay in Marriott Grande Vista - getaways thru II.

now if I was paying cash for my WDW stay - would I be doing it - yes - but only because I got a postcard from WDW. Without the postcard paying full price just to stay at WDW - not on my budget.

I want to stay at every timeshare in Orlando and considering there are 60 listed with RCI and another 50 with II - that is going to take a very, very long time....

but right now I am just very happy to find a place that we have a full kitchen that also allows Spicey....

We did a value once and both said never, ever again, cramped room, no balcony, etc...we looked at the mods and the room didn't excite us so that left the deluxe. At the time, the Cdn exchange rate was really bad so a deluxe would have been a fortune. The resorts themselves are gorgeous but we go to resorts in the Caribbean alot so that really isn't all the important to us in Orlando, the room is. We go offseason when the parks are closed early so we dont need or use the extra hours, getting to the parks at 9 and leaving around supper is perfect for us.

So we found ourselves at HIFS the next trip as we wanted to check out other parks and found that offsite was easy and seemed so much quieter. We also enjoyed having a car and checking everything out. The next few trips we found condos, that was it, we were hooked. Tons of space, kids in their own bedrooms, balcony, Internet in the rooms and so quiet after a busy day in the parks. Its perfect for us, we also do Usf and IAO and now even BG.

I think if you have small kids and don't leave DW, you would enjoy onsite. I would never recommend the value to anyone, sorry. I find alot of people try offsite in a dingy hotel and then talk about how horrible offsite is...well, its not offsite it was that dingy hotel, sheesh lol.

But if your like us, older kids, or more than 2 kids and like going to other places besides DW or love your space, privacy and quiet....a condo is the greatest way to go.

We have annual passes and go quite often and stay offsite due to the saving of money.

However, we've done both, including 2 weeks at CBR.

While I think there are big advantages to staying on site, I think sometimes us Disney nuts are so deep in our love, that we dont see other realities.

While staying at CBR, we waited so long for buses that eventually except for MK, we drove our own cars to AK, Studios and Epcot and saved SUBSTANTIAL time doing so, so we were not that thrilled with that perk. MK we took the bus to avoid parking so far out.

Service, service was ok, but nothing special and the food at the resort was overpriced and could be found better for the same price at a nice hotel offsite.

Rooms: Rooms were decent size but much smaller than what you'd find for the same price off site.

Location: Dont always believe that you're that much closer to the parks by staying onsite.

We stay on West Irlo Bronson (Hwy 192) just off of the property and in fact, there are places that we stay at where we can see Disney Resorts basically across the street. One of the value resorts is JUST off of the Hwy, hidden behind trees.........so you really are not secluded in Disney. AK Lodge is just off of the Hwy and is actually further away from Disney than many hotels on Hwy 192.

Put it this way........I may get flamed for those comments, as sure they may differ for some, but for me, that was my personal reality and the reality is that for the same price, you can get MUCH more offsite, including a very very nice hotel somewhere. Sure you are not SUBMERSED in the Disney magic, but honestly, at CBR, I didnt really feel that way while staying there.

I think the only way I'd think I was really splashed in the disney atmosphere would be to stay at either CR, Poly, or GF, of which I cannot afford so it's not an issue.

AllStars,and Deluxe, and renting a house off-site.... everything except Fort Wilderness, and a moderate.

We also own DVC.

All that being said, we like everything too:)
Loved AllStars for that "larger than Life" feeling (we had a king room adjoining a double room)
Loved the Deluxes for the monorail::yes::
Love our DVC for on-site kitchen and washer and dryers:)

Loved the house for the private pool, and that feeling of "just family" time, ie, we weren't making new friends at the pool:)

Vacationing in Orlando just works for our family, and we have a "different" vacation every time we go:)

:sunny:

mbb said:
Vacationing in Orlando just works for our family, and we have a "different" vacation every time we go:)

:sunny:

I said the same thing to someone this morning!

They didn't get it :sad2:

Stayed on site w/ dh only, then 3 trips on site w/ dh and ds#1 in the same year. We prefer deluxe for the monorail convenience mostly.

Now we have ds#2 also. This past December, we came with my mom as well, making us 5. Cost of 2 deluxe rooms is prohibitive and I didn't want the mods, simply because when ds#2 goes down for the night (in a crib) there is simply no where to go, other than sitting on a bed in the other room. So we rented a 3 bdrm/2 bath condo at Windsor Palms from an owner recommended through this board.

Cost was $711 for the entire week, had full kitchen and w/d. Close to parks, close to restaurants, shopping, etc. We had plenty of room and could all breathe and not be on top of one another. I know that you don't get the "Disney Magic" every minute like on site, but frankly, with 2 smaller kids, they don't stay up late enough to need it. Plus the cost was so good that I didn't have to really stretch to afford it, having had a bad year money wise.

Now I'm planning our trip for this year. Mom has opted out so it's just the 4 of us. I could easily fit on site, but frankly, don't want to spend over $200/night for a single room. So we're going off again. Our previous rental is no longer available so we're looking at other properties. In addition to more space for the money, I have other dining options that are cost effective (although a few park meals are always planned) and we have plenty to do if we decide to take a day off from the parks.

Will we come back on site? Of course. Perhaps when ds#2 is a couple of years older (he's only 2.5) we'll find coming back on site will work for us. But for now, we're liking the room and savings of offsite. And even with needing a rental car, I shop and check regularly and get that down using codes and coupons too.

I really appreciate this thread because I think everyone has been pretty honest about their trips. I don't knock the resort board, but on site fans would never consider off site. This group appears more diverse and has experienced both ways and see the benefits of both.

We have stayed at many levels of resorts in WDW, and I must admit I don't understand that argument about being immersed in the Magic. I think the Magic is what you make it, and the memories you are creating for your family. :wizard:
We haved stayed at Pop, POR, CSR, AKL, WL, OKW, BWV, and BCV. We rented points from DVC owners, and now have our own SSR points. I'm using Cypress Point from Hotel Kingdom for those expensive Fiday and Saturday nights. We have had times when we stayed at the old Marriott on Hotel Blvd (really miss those 20.0x rates), and have camped several times at FW, both with tent and pop-up trailer. We have also been in a FW cabin.
One of our BEST trips was staying at a house in Windsor Palms, joined by my brother's family from CA. It was so nice, we're repeating it this coming December.
We've stayed at the now defunct Hyatt Orlando, and Holiday Inn Resort close to Universal. And for Universal, we've used Royal Pacific, and Hard Rock.

We have vacationed to WDW yearly for the past 4 years. The first 3 visits we stayed offsite renting a house. This past December was our first time staying onsite. We stayed at POR and truly loved it. We did enjoy the perks of staying onsite, ie., early entrance to the parks, etc., plus it was our first time being there during the holidays and it was a different experience than any other one we had before. However, we also truly loved staying in a rental home and being able to come back from a very busy day at WDW and enjoying sitting out in our own private lanai and swimming in our own private pool. The houses we have stayed in have been spacious, clean, plenty of room to kick back, more amenities than we have in our own home, and only about 10 minutes to the gates of WDW. My DH actually remarked that it took less time for us to get out of the park and drive back to the house, then it did for us to wait for the buses to get us back to POR. Staying onsite is a great experience and I would probably do it again, but I would not hesitate to stay off site again in a rental vacation home.

Enjoy your trip no matter where you decide to stay. I truly the believe the "magic" is spending time with your family and friends, making memories, no matter if you stay onsite or offsite. Have fun :wave:

gabsmom said:
My DH actually remarked that it took less time for us to get out of the park and drive back to the house, then it did for us to wait for the buses to get us back to POR. Staying onsite is a great experience and I would probably do it again, but I would not hesitate to stay off site again in a rental vacation home.

Enjoy your trip no matter where you decide to stay. I truly the believe the "magic" is spending time with your family and friends, making memories, no matter if you stay onsite or offsite. Have fun :wave:

ITA!!! :)

Put it this way........I may get flamed for those comments, as sure they may differ for some, but for me, that was my personal reality and the reality is that for the same price, you can get MUCH more offsite, including a very very nice hotel somewhere. Sure you are not SUBMERSED in the Disney magic, but honestly, at CBR, I didnt really feel that way while staying there.

I think the only way I'd think I was really splashed in the disney atmosphere would be to stay at either CR, Poly, or GF, of which I cannot afford so it's not an issue.[/QUOTE]

I am not going to flame you i totally agree with you. I loved staying onsite, but i decided to stay offsite and i will probably never stay onsite again. My dtr is older as it might be easier for tose with little ones to stay onsite but i got a rental car for the first time-i was scared and it turned out to be so easy, in addition to that i saved so much money, i saw things that i would not have because onsite i would not need a rental so i would not leave, we did univ and ioa and seaworld, i love offsite it saved me so much money
ps thank you skyauction

...it took less time for us to get out of the park and drive back to the house said:
I agree with this statement as well. Sorry, but I never get the 'onsite is more convenient' reasoning, especially if you are not staying at one of the deluxe monorail resorts, or in deluxes in the EPCOT resort areas, where there are transportations options other than the bus. I like staying in the EPCOT area (especially BWV) because you can walk to EPCOT as well as MGM. The Disney bus system is expansive but it is not fast. If you need some snooze time, I always suggest the boat ride from MGM back to the Boardwalk. :goodvibes I find the wait time for the Magic Kingdom bus at the Boardwalk extremely long, and always drive to the parks and water parks. I usually just walk to EPCOT.

Also for me, some of the 'magic' aspects important to many people (Mickey wake up calls--in my book definitely not worth the premium price for Disney accomdations) are not important to my family. I guess I just don't get 'what being in the Disney magic' means. We spend time at the parks, but we also spend time at our hotel/resort; so the 'room is only for sleeping and showering rationale' does not work for me. Space is important, even though it is just my daughter and I. However, I don't share a room with my daughter at home and will not do so on vacation especially for 10+ days--and you can get 'more bang for the proverbial buck' with an offsite villa.

We always have a 'magical' time, even at Universal (which I dearly love--can't be FOTL), and any other vacation spot. After all, I am on vacation. :flower:

I agree with dgaston, 'the magic is what you make of it."

ETA: last summer we started our Orlando vacation offsite and ended it onsite: staying at the Ritz Carlton before heading over to Royal Pacific at Universal, finally landing at the Boardwalk Villas. We adored the Ritz. None of the Disney deluxes can even compare, IMO.

Did not read the whole thread but I can tell you as someone who was once a die hard on site fan I learned that I was just being stupid. The first time we stayed off site my husband practically had to drag me kicking and screaming. We stayed at Vistana Village. The moment we opened the door to our condo I had a heart attack. I figured we got the price wrong. It was 139 per night two bedrooms, two baths, living /dining room and beautiful kitchen. We figured when we checked out that they were going to charge us something like 275 per night in line with what we would expect at Disney. This was a beautiful 5 star resort and for only 139 per night(I have since wised up and gotten it a varitey of ways even cheaper).
In addition, they were not always trying to get me to buy something ...no gift shops in the beautiful lobby etc. I realized there is a whole new world (no pun) that I never even knew existed outside the Disney walls(and that is exactly what they DO NOT want you to find out). My trips to Fla have been much, much better since we have chosen to stay outside and guess what...now I can stay for double the amount of time AND still have money left over for some very nice dinners.

Some trips we stay entirely onsite. Some trips we stay entirely off-site. And some have been a combination with resort hopping off AND on. I like both, and it makes no difference to me. If it's a trip with my DGDs, then I like onsite - because - we rent a car, but there are times when they want to stay in the parks and I want to go back to the resort. If we stay onsite, then I can drive back and they can take the bus later on. (At some offsite hotels that's possible too, but much more inconveniet with bus schedules).
When I travel with my in-laws, who are NOT WDW nuts like DH and I, then we prefer a condo offsite, with more comforts of home, since we don't spend nearly as much time in the parks when traveling with them.
When it's just me and DH - we like to resort hop, staying offsite at a luxury hotel (MUCH bigger bang for the buck offiste) and onsite a few days too.
When making the onsite vs. offsite decision, for us it's a matter of who and when.

my3princes said:
I was just reading a thread on the Disney Resort Forum asking people that had stayed both on and off site what they preferred. The response was overwhelmingly on-site no matter what. I expect that response coming from the Disney Resort Board. I am wondering if there are differing opinions on this board. Have you done both. What would you choose now and why.
I haven't read all the responses so forgive me if I repeat things already said, but here's my opinion. I've stayed onsite 8 times and offsite 15 times. We greatly prefer offsite. It is more peaceful, more convenient, less crowded, much roomier, better amenities and far cheaper. Offsite, for well under $100/nite, I can get a 2-bed, 2-bath condo with a fully equipped kitchen. My DD has her own bedroom and bathroom. We all sleep better and its a much nicer vacation all around. And if we want to be even cheaper, for under $50 we can get a timeshare rental through SkyAuction.

I think the whole argument about there being no "magic" offsite is a bunch of hooey to be polite. To us, a week away from home as a family is magical. It doesn't matter where we stay. Or actually, it does matter. We would much rather stay where we have plenty of space to stretch out and relax, a refrigerator to stock with snacks and drinks, more than one TV, etc. and save a fortune in the process. Last trip, we spent a week in a wonderful timeshare unit for $261 total! Nothing onsite comes anywhere close to comparing to that. JMHO.

Driving to and from an offsite property is also easier and more convenient than depending on Disney transportation. In the time people spend waiting for a bus, we are back at our room. Of course, to be fair, that's true if you stay onsite and drive your own car also.

DH and I prefer to stay onsite because we love taking Disney transportation, we enjoy the food courts, and we feel the Value resorts are the safest, most festive, cleanest, (etc., etc) hotels for the price in Orlando, IF we get a discount code. I can't imagine us paying rack rate for a Value, but for ~ $49-$55 with codes, we don't think there's a better deal anywhere.

We have also stayed at the Dolphin a couple of times for decent rates through Travelocity--we love being walking distance from Epcot (our favorite park), and really enjoy the (slow! :) ) boat ride to and from the Dolphin and MGM or Epcot. However, at ~$150/night, the Dolphin is a special occasion kind of place for us--we stayed there when we were recovering from being hit by 2 hurricanes in a row (we're Floridians) and again for DH's 50th birthday.

That said, on our most recent trip, we stayed at the Days Inn near DTD because there were no Value or Moderate resorts available. We are budget-minded because we go to WDW 6-8 times a year, and have to balance frequency of visits with price of hotels.

And, if there was more than 2 of us, I'm sure offsite condos/homes would appeal to us more--I think it could be difficult to cram a family of 4 into one hotel room, no matter what the size--you run into bathroom issues, sleep/noise issues, etc.

I think the whole argument about there being no "magic" offsite is a bunch of hooey to be polite. To us, a week away from home as a family is magical.
ITA! I will never understand the "If we can't stay onsite, then our vaction is ruined...do you hear me!...I said RUINED!!!" crowd.

Mom of Sleepy....

We'll be staying at the SHERATON VISTANA in May. (First time back since 1972!!)
We'll be eating in a few nights. Do you recall whether there were any outdoor grills on the grounds? Or maybe each unit would have to provide it (or not)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter