• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you been to Grand Canyon and surrounding area? If so...

Disagree. I'd pick the portion of the canyon that you want to visit first. Depending upon whether you choose to visit the South Rim National Park, the North Rim National Park, or the Western Rim owned by the Havasupai Indians, your experience will be quite different.

By the way, no one's mentioned the option of going to Havasupai and hiking down into the canyon. The waterfalls on the floor are supposed to be incredible, and I really want to do that one day.

And there's also the choice of going to Phantom Ranch on the canyon floor. It's owned by the National Park Service.

Anyway, I think you have to decide where you want to be, THEN choose where to fly into.

I agree. but if you read back to post 24 she asked if she should do a grand canyon, bryce, zion trip or a sedona, grand canyon trip...that was my reason for suggesting to pick an airport...she also mentioned that she was thinking of flying into Phoenix which would easier to do sedona if you flew into Phoenix

Oh, and just be aware - nothing will ever prepare you for the sight of the canyon in person. You can look at all the pictures you want every day, but the first real sight of it will take your breath away. It brought me to tears.

This is so true. I gasped when I saw it. It is truly a wonder.

We stayed at I believe a Holiday Inn near the Grand Canyon. I think it was Flagstaff. We were only there for one day as this was more of a road trip out West and we wanted to see a lot of things.

The next day we went to Bryce and toured then drove to Zion and stayed at the Best Western, which was very nice. We didn't tour Zion because we drove to Las Vegas, where we stayed at the Mirage.

I know I'm echoing other's advice, but Sedona and Flagstaff are both worth an overnight visit on your Grand Canyon trip.

All have awesome scenery but their own unique vibe. I was a very young mom on our trip, and looking back I wish we had spent more time in Sedona. It's such a unique and beautiful town.

We visited the National Parks this past summer.

We flew into Vegas--flights were economically priced/as were the rental cars! We stayed 2 nights in Vegas--saw Cirque Show Ka. Incredible!

From Vegas, we went to Zion--definitely recommend the Narrows hike in the river--it is slippery, but very cool! Angels Landing is not for the faint of heart--best to get a guide book that rates the intensity of hikes. Only stayed in Zion (right in park) one night--next time would do 2.

From Zion, we went to Bryce for 2 nights--incredible drive between 2 parks--stayed outside of park at a newer hotel--can't remember name. Very easy drive in/out of park--no crowds--we were there in late July. Did half-day mule ride in Bryce--loved it!! My kids still talk about it. We were there during full moon, but rainy/cloudy weather kept us from doing full moon hike. Full moon hike at Bryce--is on my bucket list!

From Bryce, we went to Lake Powell for 2 nights. Very Beautiful--Horseshoe Bend is a must see--great photos. Took day long boat ride/tour out to Rainbow Bridge. Also, visited slot canyons--incredible--not to miss!

From there, went to Grand Canyon for 2 nights--wanted El Tovar, too late when we made ressies. But, we did stay in park. HIghly recommend El Tovar for dinner. All restaurants in each park were actually very good--we enjoyed the restaurant at the inns in Zion and Bryce, as well.

Not sure when you plan to travel--but I did not realize that July/August is the rainy/monsoon/flash flood season. We were lucky for the most part...did see a flash flood on way to Bryce...quite the lightning show! By the time we got to Grand Canyon, Canyon was always fogged in--never really got to see full canyon in sunlight. The one good thing about that is that we were able to do a lot of hiking in the Grand Canyon without being in full sun/heat--but the views were diminished.

From Grand Canyon, went to Sedona for 3 nights. Slide Rock was closed. Did a hike to Devil's Bridge--great photo op! Did a few other great hikes! Awesome restaurants in Sedona--beautiful!

From there drove back to Vegas--and saw Hoover Dam en route. Not sure if we were just exhausted or because we've been to other dams--but it was just okay. Very HOT 115 degrees and very crowded!

If had to do again, would have gone to Phoenix and flown home from there. Drive from Sedona to Vegas was long!

Awesome trip!! Have fun planning!

could you give me some help?

1)What was your favorite thing you did?

Rode the GCRailway on the three night package
Took lots of photos
dh was selected to participate in a western show prior to taking the train up to GC.
Took a 1/2 hour helicopter tour over the GC--We should have done a full hour--it was awesome!!!!!

2)What was the worst thing you did?

Had a really crummy dinner at The Bright Angel Inn

3)Where did you stay?

On the GCRailway package--Don't remember the name--not memorable.

4)Favorite Restaurant or food?

El Tovar for breakfast--Wonderful

5)Did you ride the Grand Canyon Railroad? Worth it? Good or bad?

Absolutely worth it--loved it! Loved the cowboys and the train robbery!

6)Any other info you could share for a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teens) that knows nothing about anything about the grand canyon or western us

We flew into Phoenix and drove up to Williams to catch the GCRailway--on the way back we drove to Sedona-Gorgeous!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance!

You're welcome--bwt, our boys were 5, 10, 13, 15 and they loved it

Great thread. We are thinking about flying into Phoenix, staying in Sedona, and visiting the canyon on the railroad. I love all of the ideas.

Great thread. We are thinking about flying into Phoenix, staying in Sedona, and visiting the canyon on the railroad. I love all of the ideas.

We are going in July--

Our plan is to drive from Houston:

Leave at 12 noon drive to Fort Stockton, TX
Day 2: Drive to Carlsbad Caverns then on to Albuquerque, NM
Day 3: Drive to Grand Canyon
Day 4: Grand Canyon
Day 5: Grand Canyon to 4 corners then to Arches NP, Utah
Day 6: Arches
Day 7: Mesa Verde to Durango, CO
Day 8: Start the drive home
Day 9: Home

We are going to camp in the National parks. My kids are 6,8,8,10 and 12. We always go to WDW for our vacations. We decided that it was time to show the kids more of the USA! It is so hard not to be planning a WDW vacation. I think we will have a blast, but at times, I wish we were going to Florida. Next year we will be back with the mouse though!

Grand Canyon was one of the few places we traded out of DVC for. We got a place in Sedona for a week, but drove up to the Canyon and spent one night in the park. The accommodations weren't anything spectacular; think basic 50's type motel, block walls, inside and out. OLD, but clean.

We drove in from the east the first time. There was a little flea market and a small overlook before you actually got to the park, operated by Native Americans. They charged a nominal fee and I'm so glad we stopped. It got us really excited for what was coming up.

While at the GCNP, we did the helicopter ride out to the east end of the canyon and back. We didn't do the Skywalk thing. It had just opened, and while things may have changed since, the time spent getting there and back to Sedona, along with what they were charging (to gain admission to the Skywalk you have to purchase admission to Grand Canyon West Legacy $70 something), and then another $15 pp for the park and ride, unless you wanted to drive about 15 miles on an unpaved road (umm...no thanks), made us decide that it wasn't something we felt we needed to do ~ especially when you aren't allowed to take a camera on the Skywalk.

Of course we also traveled along the roads of the canyon, stopping to see the magnificent views and ate dinner at the Bright Angel Lodge. The day we did the helicopter ride in Tusyan, we also went to the National Geographic Visitor Center and Imax theater. We ate at Yippee-ei-o!! The Steakhouse. Great couple of days.

We took the long way back to Sedona, driving west along Historic Route 66 and making sure we went to Williams, AZ. DH had to stop at the Harley store and get the requisite t-shirt. :)

Back in Sedona, we made day trips to Montezuma's Castle, the Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, Sunset Crater, and Meteor Crater. Of course, we also spent lots of time driving through the Red Rocks of Sedona. We wanted to do the Pink Jeep tour, but DH's back started acting up and so we decided against it. Slide Rock State Park looked like it could be a lot of fun, but not in March.

Be prepared for fluctuations in temperature. We wore shorts in Sedona and it was snowing north of Flagstaff.

Whatever you choose to do, you'll really enjoy your trip.

We are going in July--

Our plan is to drive from Houston:

Leave at 12 noon drive to Fort Stockton, TX
Day 2: Drive to Carlsbad Caverns then on to Albuquerque, NM
Day 3: Drive to Grand Canyon
Day 4: Grand Canyon
Day 5: Grand Canyon to 4 corners then to Arches NP, Utah
Day 6: Arches
Day 7: Mesa Verde to Durango, CO
Day 8: Start the drive home
Day 9: Home

We are going to camp in the National parks. My kids are 6,8,8,10 and 12. We always go to WDW for our vacations. We decided that it was time to show the kids more of the USA! It is so hard not to be planning a WDW vacation. I think we will have a blast, but at times, I wish we were going to Florida. Next year we will be back with the mouse though!

Check to make sure the 4 corners is open...when we stopped there it was closed for major renos...there were lots of disappointed people who had driven for miles without knowing anything about it being closed.

2 years ago we went to Vegas and I had grand plans of renting a convertible and driving to the canyon till I found out how long it would take.

Then we decided to REALLY splurge and take a helicopter tour and land in the grand canyon. It was probably the highlight of my life. It was fantastic and a once in a life time experience. Its totally worth the money albeit expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter