Have you been to an Asian grocery store?

I love our 2 closeby Asian grocery stores (Super G and Grand Asia)!! We get:

mung bean sprouts
snow pea pods
fresh herbs
fresh ginger
Thai chiles
other vegetables and fruit
fish sauce
soy sauce
rice wine vinegar
sesame oil
noodles
chili paste
dried and ground herbs/spices (soooo much cheaper than the supermarket)
coconut milk
curry paste
candy
shrimp flavored chips/crackers
disposable wooden chopsticks
jasmine rice
frozen dumplings
fresh baked goods

I'm sure there are lots of other things that I am forgetting. Our local Super G store also has pretty good European, Indian, Middle Eastern, Hispanic, and Caribbean sections. I get a whole bunch of things there, too.

seafood...they have a better selection than anyone and fruits I can't find anywhere else like loquats, durians and dragonfruit (dragonfruit is getting a little easier to find though)

I go in once in a while but does your markets smell bad?? I swear I can't get near the meat or seafood sections. It is a turn off because I then wonder if the food is all ok.

seafood...they have a better selection than anyone and fruits I can't find anywhere else like loquats, durians and dragonfruit (dragonfruit is getting a little easier to find though)

Oooooh, durian- is that the fruit that smells really bad but is supposed to taste great? I've never gathered up enough courage to try it. What is it like?

Oooooh, durian- is that the fruit that smells really bad but is supposed to taste great? I've never gathered up enough courage to try it. What is it like?

My husband so wants to try that! I dont know if I am game..

I go in once in a while but does your markets smell bad?? I swear I can't get near the meat or seafood sections. It is a turn off because I then wonder if the food is all ok.

Yes it does! The smell hit me as soon as the doors opened. Almost knocked me out. Awful! I was so enthralled with everything there were periods of time where I almost didn't smell it.

There are a lot of markets since I live near Oakland and San Francisco. We shop at them often to buy ramen, Chinese sausage, BBQ pork and tea. But their snack aisles are great. My family loves the Hello Panda cookies, Pocky sticks, and lychee jelly cups.

Ours is called Super H....I get panko, seaweed, noodles, talipia,pocky, rice, low-sodium soy sauce, duck sauce and sushi

I've been to a large Asian grocery store once in a part of the DFW metroplex known for having a large Asian population and lots of Asian stores and restaurants. I don't mean this to sound so negative, but what I honestly remember most is that smell, some giant mouse/rat traps I saw in various places throughout the store, and some dead ducks hanging up in the meat section. Those three things just really left an impression on me.

I have been to the real asian markets over in China! Very interesting! We don't have an asian market around here or i'd go there for sure! One thing I would love to find is this tofu stuff that comes in a glass jar and they spread it on biscuits for breakfast, very yummy!

Oh and about the DURIAN...seen those all over the markets there in china! I thought they would taste disgusting because they stink. You have to pinch your nose when u are eating it or the smell just will turn you off, but the fruit tastes really good!

Fish sauce, crab paste, chili paste, soy sauce, oyster sauce, dried spice powders, vegetables (opo, greens) fruit (mangos, papaya), dried mushrooms and fish, etc.

I shop there a LOT.

Korean:
kimchi
Red pepper paste (kochujang)
Marinade for pork bulgogi (if I'm lazy, otherwise, it's made with kochujang)

Japanese:
Fish cake (kamaboku)
Teas
Assorted noodles
Assorted sauces
Seaweed (nori for sushi, kombu for making broth)
Pickled ginger
Dried fish flakes
Japanese Kewpie mayonnaise
Curry mixes
Snacks (dry salty mixes of various cracker stuff)

Southeast:
Coconut milk
Curry pastes (variety of types, though my favorite is green)
Fish sauce

Chinese:
Assorted sauces and noodles

Produce:
Lotus root
Kaffir lime leaves
Mushrooms (such as shiitake or enoki)
Daikon

Probably lots more. I cook Asian foods maybe half the time since I spent a lot of time in Japan and Korea when I was younger. Lots of these I can get at the grocery store as well, though they tend to be cheaper at the Asian market.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter