Have/Would You Ever Go to WDW Around Christmas/New Years?

OP here, we chickened-out, we're wimps, we just couldn't do it. We (meaning DH and I, not DD:rolleyes1) decided not to go to WDW at Christmas, for a variety of reasons:

Just the rack-rate alone is 45% higher than in Value season. We would have gotten 20% off the room, but compared with 40% off in Value, that's 90% higher:eek:! I found it hard to get past that comparison.

And, then there are the crowds, crowds, and more crowds:scared1:

We'll just have to hold out 7 more years until DD is in college (it flies by, doesn't it;)), and then we can go at our favorite time of the year - the first week in December when crowds are low, it's still Value season, the weather is lovely and everything is decorated. Until then, we'll just stick with our usual August trip.

Thanks to everyone who posted and I hope you have terrific WDW vacations, no matter when you go:).

How are you getting 20% off the room? I am booked for 12/24 to 12/28 and would love that rate.

How are you getting 20% off the room? I am booked for 12/24 to 12/28 and would love that rate.

Shhh... Don't tell anyone, but its the SOG (Shades of Green) "overflow rate":rolleyes1

If you check their calendar on their website:

http://www.shadesofgreen.org/reservations.htm

it will show in real-time (in red) when they are fully booked. If they have no availability, you can call or email them for their "over flow" rate and book a WDW resort instead of SOG for at least a 20% discount;).

If you are eligible (see the website) to book SOG and SOG is fully booked, you can request an "overflow rate" at a WDW resort. For Holiday season, the discount is 20% off of rack rate. In other seasons, it may be 30%-40% off of rack rate. Not all resorts/categories are always available, but most are. WDW only allocates a certain number of "over flow" rooms and the actual confirmation/reservation number comes from them. Even if the booking is canceled, the room reverts to WDW and not back to SOG.

We went for the first time as a family this past Christmas (12/20 - 12/28). I am a teacher and can only take vacation at times when everyone else in the country is out for school break. We took my husband's 85 year old grandfather with us along with our then 6 year old. We enjoyed our trip, went on all but one of my son's "must do" rides, saw the candlelight processional, fantasmic, etc...

If not for the advice from this board, I would have been completely overwhelmed. Because of the wonderful tips here I knew to make ADRs, how to get seats at CP and Fantasmic, etc... the trip was successful. I would not recommend it for impatient travelers. Even during evening EMH we waited over an hour and a half for Soarin'. The crowds between the two candlelight processional performances were absolutely insane. I was worried about Grandpere' being lost or squashed by the crowd. He was a trooper though and announced loudly that he had been through the blitz in London during WWII, so nothing bothered him.;)

It was a great time, but I probably wouldn't do it again, esp considering the high prices for the resort and airfare.

Last year was the first year in 3 years we didn't go during Christmas week. Would have went, but house needed some repairs. We are going this year. If you are a "go with the flow" type of person, you will be fine. If you are the type of person that has little patience, stay home. It's crowded, but you have to take it slow. We found that leaving the parks by 2:00 pm and going back after 8:00 pm or even 9:00 pm was managable. Everything is open late, so if you can stick it out, go early, take a break then go back late. Can't wait for this year's trip! Beats working!!!!!

And just when I was going to try to convince you to go :)

We did a trip with our college kids in 2004 around the same timeframe because that was what worked out around all of our schedules. We didn't arrive until December 30th though so that could make a difference right there.

You're right about the room costs :eek: We ended up with a split stay which I'm not a fan of but will do if necessary. And in this case it was necessary. First four nights at Pop and last three nights at WL when rates changed to value season.

Because we knew the parks would be crowded, I purchased some extra ticket events - Candlelight Processional package, Keys to the Kingdom tour (I think you have to be 16), and Cirque du Soleil. Based on info from Tour Guide Mike, I was at a park opening each morning. I would tour my favorites and gather fastpasses for those who slept in. We didn't try to do much but enjoyed everything we did. Made some great dining reservations for the evenings. Returned one night to MK just to watch Wishes.

New Years Day morning at AK, I felt like I had the park to myself at opening. New Years Eve after dinner at Spoodles, we decided to drop by HS to see if there was a chance to ride RnRC or ToT. Two hour wait for RnRC, but hardly anyone at the fabulous Osborne Lights and walked on Great Movie Ride. We didn't stay until midnight so I don't know how crazy crowded anyplace got.

Just staying at WL for the holidays is a wonderful experience itself. Love the feel of that resort and the tree in the lobby is beautiful! Also really liked watching the Electrical Water Pageant from the dock there.

We didn't do it this time, but on a previous visit we rented the Sea Raycers.

Now I know crowd levels may have changed quite a bit since 2004. I don't know if I would try it again if I didn't need to go at that time, but I love that we did it once. What I do believe though is that with realistic expectations and a good plan, it could be a wonderful Christmas vacation!

The only time we've gone at that time of year, we went for two weeks. The week before the Christmas holiday was crowded but manageable. After December 23, however, it was crazy. You could barely walk through the MK--just wall to wall people.

So, nope, I don't think we'll ever do it again. None of us enjoyed it. It's too bad, really, I get almost two weeks off at Christmas.

We're going Dec 26 - Jan 4 and this is the 2nd time we've been over the Christmas / NYE timeframe.

I personally love it, with all the decorations and such - and ringing in a New Year at Disney is magical! :lovestruc

I do agree with other posters...if you're the kind of person that doesn't like wait times, crowds, etc, this is not the time to go. But if you go into it knowing to plan accordingly, you'll be fine. For instance, we plan on hitting the parks when they open, then going back to our hotel or DTD for relaxation time in the afternoons.

Happy Travels!

We are headed down 12/25 for our first Christmas trip to Disney :cool1:

I took DD12 down when she was 6...but she only got to do MK. She knows her faves there (not that she knows about this trip) and so I know which 3 or4 are MUST DO's ;)
We will be there a week...
I think we can fit in what she is dying to do PLUS see the other parks
(oops, forgot about 2 must do's at DHS) in those 7 days.

DH and I are just itching to see all the decorations :santa: I am such a Christmas nut...that alone is going to make my trip.

Crowds are bothersome, but we are in DISNEY...I think I can mange this :rolleyes:

My big thing is going to be the weather.
DD and DH are always chilly.
If it's over 60, I am WARM.
I am still working on figuring out what to pack and how much we are going to have to lug around if the two of them layer up. :upsidedow

I was one of the folks that voted "No Way Jose" previously. :goodvibes

That was based on a few Christmas trips years ago. Being older, and hopefully, just a little wiser, I think it might be different now.

As an AP holders, DW and I can stroll a park and not worry about hitting all the rides like we used to. No worries about "wasting" a day on a Park Hopper.

In fact, we will be there for Mardi Gras/President's Day next year, and I'm not really planning on leaving the resort - first time at BLT.

Whether you are crowd-averse or not, and assuming school schedules don't allow early-December trips, you and your family need to experience a Disney Christmas at least once. It is truly magical.

One of my fondest Chrsitmas memories is spending Christmas Eve in front of the fire place on the second level of the Wilderness Lodge with my whole family exchanging gifts drinking wine and eating snacks. We stumbled onto the spot, and it was incredible.

Another great time was sitting in Mizners at the Grand Floridian with DW last year (early-December) enjoying drinks and appetizers while enjoying the three piece band in the lobby playing Christmas music. Absolutely an amazing time. Definitely a great spot to get away from the kids for a while one night.

If you go into it with no ideas of 'powering through the parks", you will all have a great time. Slow down and take in the magic. The rides will be there next year.

i went with my family in december of 2007 From Dec-21-Jan 3. We stayed at a condo that was about an hour away from disney. We went to Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Seaworld and Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure.

The disney parks were absolutely ridiculous. I would never go again at that time. The park decorations were neat but its not worth it to go at that time.

SeaWorld and Universal were bad but no where near as bad as the disney parks.

Oh boy. Its a neat time to go to the parks but I will tell you we would NEVER NEVER EVER do this again. We went Dec 20-27 but you're going over THE BUSIEST week the park ever sees. We saw the lines trying to go into the parks at the end of our trip and it was bumper to bumper cars trying to go through the gates for MK. This is one of those time frames where parks will close due to capacity attendance. It will be crowded and long waits. Dad got the flu during our trip too so that put a damper and I'm sure it was from the crowds as we've done disney illness free on our other trips. More people, more bugs. I personally am not a fan of crowds and this was insane!

Also the CM's are more stressed. I could see it. This was the first trip I did see a bit of a gripe fest with a few of them. But they still were doing there jobs as best they could in the chaos. Dad still got loads of Happy Birthday wishes from cast members and a few were still trying to go out of there way to make things magical :) But it just wasn't up to par with our other trips.

All I can say is just be aware of what you're walking into whatever you can imagine...its going to be worse!! I would seriously change to the beginning of January, crowds will drop off after New years.

We're going back to WDW this year from 12/26 to 1/08 and can't wait. We used to always go during the last week in November and enjoyed the fact that there were no crowds, however our DD is at school now and we have to stick to school holidays. We found the going over Christmas and New Year to be absolutely great as long as you plan! We would get to the parks for opening and leave at lunchtime go back to our resort for a swim or resort hop for lunch etc and back to another park for dinner/fireworks.
Yes it's busy but I can honestly say for us it was great -hence us going back again!

Personally, I would only go during that week if someone else was paying. I wouldn't spend the money because I don't think I would have as great a time as I do when it's not as crowded, and the prices are so much higher.

But if you can stay up the parks are open late. I think the MK can be open as late as 2-3am. Of course, that would make it difficult to make rope drop the next morning!

Will we regret even considering going from December 26 - January 2nd? Do you think it might be less crowded than usual because many took advantage of the 4/3, FD, and room-only discounts earlier in the year, and there aren't any current promos (thus far) when we'd be there?

We usually go to WDW every year sometime during the last 2 weeks of August, and we plan on going again in 2010. Crowd levels are very tolerable (before free dining) and except for the heat/humidity/hurricanes, it's a great time to go. We'd love to take a trip to WDW during DD's winter break, however, we've always been too scared to go when it's that crowded:scared1:. But, DD10 would really like to go, and the weather would be nearly perfect. We'd be staying at a monorail resort or WL if we go, and we'd be getting a room-only discount of 20%.

To mitigate some of the stress of lines and crowds, I thought we could do the non-EMH park shortly after opening, get some FPs, do lunch, then head back to the resort to seek refuge from the crowds. We would also do some tours and recreational activities that get us out of standing in line, (we're not very patient vacationers:sad2:). Do you think this strategy would help at all?

I know many DISers love being at WDW at this time, but what is your secret to making it a success? If you've ever been during this time period, would you go back, or was it just too crazy and stressful?

TIA for your experience/advice!

We stayed Dec 17-25 '07 and the closer it got to Christmas, the crazier it got! I would NEVER EVER stay there during Christmas-New Years. The only plus side to going during this time is it's not hot!

Good luck!

We stayed Dec 17-25 '07 and the closer it got to Christmas, the crazier it got! I would NEVER EVER stay there during Christmas-New Years. The only plus side to going during this time is it's not hot!

Good luck!
Agreed, and here is my update from page 2:

OP here, we chickened-out, we're wimps, we just couldn't do it. We (meaning DH and I, not DD:rolleyes1) decided not to go to WDW at Christmas, for a variety of reasons:

Just the rack-rate alone is 45% higher than in Value season. We would have gotten 20% off the room, but compared with 40% off in Value, that's 90% higher! I found it hard to get past that comparison.

And, then there are the crowds, crowds, and more crowds:scared1:

We'll just have to hold out 7 more years until DD is in college (it flies by, doesn't it?), and then we can go at our favorite time of the year - the first week in December when crowds are low, it's still Value season, the weather is lovely and everything is decorated. Until then, we'll just stick with our usual August trip.

Thanks to everyone who posted and I hope you have terrific WDW vacations, no matter when you go:).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter