Have they removed the clock radio from all the resorts?

This reminds me of the brilliant decision to remove all the reclining loungers at Typhoon Lagoon. Anybody else remember that? It was chairs only for a few months. I would love to be a fly on the wall in some of these boardroom decisions.

This makes me very happy- easy access to a charger is so much more convenient. My kids just pull the clocks down and throw them anyway. I can't remember the last time I used a hotel clock- why wouldn't you just use the alarm on your phone or ipad or ipod etc? I have mine set to wake me up with the Magic Kingdom welcome show song when I"m at WDW :)

This makes me very happy- easy access to a charger is so much more convenient. My kids just pull the clocks down and throw them anyway. I can't remember the last time I used a hotel clock- why wouldn't you just use the alarm on your phone or ipad or ipod etc? I have mine set to wake me up with the Magic Kingdom welcome show song when I"m at WDW :)

It's not the alarm. It's the 2:00 in the morning, rolling over, wanting to see what time it is. Instead of a quick glance at the nightstand, I have to fumble for my phone and hit a button. And we don't like to bring every electronic device we own with us on vacation--no iPods, no iPads (don't own those anyway!), no laptops. We bring phones to keep in touch with each other in the parks and for checking FPs, wait times, etc. Otherwise we try to use our tech stuff as little as possible.

And your kids throw the alarm clocks? Guess I'd rather have them throwing the alarm clock than my expensive phone! :-)

I have been trying to find one here in NL. I am told that no one sells travel alarm clocks anymore! I even went to a specialty clock shop!

Guess that I will have to order one online to bring with me. Amazon has them, I believe.

I couldn't believe that they actually removed the clocks! I miss them horribly as I often roll over at night nd glance at the clock to check the time. Never use the phone, the display goes off after a few minutes and I like to just open one eye and peek at the time. If I have to find my phone and press a button, it will wake me up for hours (insomnia issues)

The loss of the clock is a serious blow!

Have you checked the travel section at Target or Walmart? They absolutely carry them!

My last trip to WDW (2013) I did not have a smart phone. My phone was just a phone. It did not do any of those things. I used the clock for checking the time when in the room (most importantly during the night) and used the alarm on it to wake us up. Our next trip (This June!!) I do have a smart phone and I guess switching over to using the alarm on it is my only option while we're there. I do not at all like the fact that to see the time during the night I have to open my phone and press a button. It will be convenient having an easy place to charge devices, but I'd prefer at least a super simple clock to display the time!

I have used the hotel clock/alarm every night that I've stayed in a hotel. Personally, I prefer to just roll over and glance at a clock during the middle of the night rather than reaching for my phone. I also don't want to be sitting in a chair or at a table in the room reading a book or going through receipts and need to get up and walk across the room to my phone that now is charging by the beds just to see what time it is. Having access to one more outlet isn't really a big deal to us (though I guess it is to enough people to make Disney do this). We're a family of 5 with 4 cell phones, an iPod touch, and potentially a few other "gadgets" that will need to be charged every night. There still won't be enough ports to do that in the room even with the new charging blocks. It's easy enough to take our little 4-port USB power strips to charge things -- we only need two empty receptacles in the entire room/suite to plug in the 2 power strips and we're good to go. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'll now have to pack an alarm clock as well -- no big deal (just an annoyance), but completely removing the clocks from the room seems extreme as opposed to replacing them with a clock that includes USB ports/outlets -- those are plentiful and inexpensive. And then everyone would be happy. :)

It's not the alarm. It's the 2:00 in the morning, rolling over, wanting to see what time it is. Instead of a quick glance at the nightstand, I have to fumble for my phone and hit a button. And we don't like to bring every electronic device we own with us on vacation--no iPods, no iPads (don't own those anyway!), no laptops. We bring phones to keep in touch with each other in the parks and for checking FPs, wait times, etc. Otherwise we try to use our tech stuff as little as possible.

And your kids throw the alarm clocks? Guess I'd rather have them throwing the alarm clock than my expensive phone! :-)

Hmm yeah I guess I don't have good enough eyes to see the clock anyway in the middle of the night when I roll over- so the phone is my only option anyway- darn bad eyesight! And my twins are 21 months- this will be their third Disney trip in January and many more nights at non-Disney hotels and believe me if it's on a nightstand they are yanking it down- phones- alarm clocks you name it. We always disconnect any phone and alarm clock and move it to the closet anyway otherwise they think it is a toy. They don't throw our cell phones though- mainly because they know if they push enough buttons Ariel will come and sing to her.

My last trip to WDW (2013) I did not have a smart phone. My phone was just a phone. It did not do any of those things. I used the clock for checking the time when in the room (most importantly during the night) and used the alarm on it to wake us up. Our next trip (This June!!) I do have a smart phone and I guess switching over to using the alarm on it is my only option while we're there. I do not at all like the fact that to see the time during the night I have to open my phone and press a button. It will be convenient having an easy place to charge devices, but I'd prefer at least a super simple clock to display the time!

Don't most non-smart phones have an alarm clock? Maybe not but I seem to remember flip phones having alarm clocks. I will admit I didn't consider the 2:00 AM rollover because as I said earlier in this post I can't read the alarm clock with my vision anyway.

I have used the hotel clock/alarm every night that I've stayed in a hotel. Personally, I prefer to just roll over and glance at a clock during the middle of the night rather than reaching for my phone. I also don't want to be sitting in a chair or at a table in the room reading a book or going through receipts and need to get up and walk across the room to my phone that now is charging by the beds just to see what time it is. Having access to one more outlet isn't really a big deal to us (though I guess it is to enough people to make Disney do this). We're a family of 5 with 4 cell phones, an iPod touch, and potentially a few other "gadgets" that will need to be charged every night. There still won't be enough ports to do that in the room even with the new charging blocks. It's easy enough to take our little 4-port USB power strips to charge things -- we only need two empty receptacles in the entire room/suite to plug in the 2 power strips and we're good to go. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'll now have to pack an alarm clock as well -- no big deal (just an annoyance), but completely removing the clocks from the room seems extreme as opposed to replacing them with a clock that includes USB ports/outlets -- those are plentiful and inexpensive. And then everyone would be happy. :)

I agree that a clock with USB ports would've been a simpler solution (and a more obvious one IMO). Fortunately I don't have competition with my children for charging ports yet but I'm sure it'll be a matter of time!!

Four people in our family and not one alarm clock in the house. No clocks at all except microwave and DVR. I can't see a thing without my glasses so I would have to find them first in order to read an alarm clock. I just grab my phone (I put it in the exact same place every night) push the button and put it close to my face to check the time. We won't miss the clocks.

I think this move is ridiculous, for the amount of money we pay for a Disney hotel room they should have an alarm clock and whatever the new technology others need for their electronics. I too wake many times thru the night and would like to look and see what time it is. I have never heard of a hotel room without an alarm clock. I dont want a cell phone near my sleeping area.

Deb.

Lightweight, small, simple, and inexpensive travel clocks are readily available. We occasionally travel with one during longer trips.

I figure we'll just get something at the dollar store and throw it in the Owner's Locker next trip. I do think it's sort of a strange thing to eliminate. I'm one of those people who might wake up and wonder if it's time to get up or if I should sleep a while longer. I do have a phone, but checking the time on it will ensure that I'm awake.

I just bought an alarm clock to take with us in May. The airline won't think it's a bomb or something will they? :rolleyes:
Do I pack it in the checked luggage or carry on?

Thanks!!
Carla

I just bought an alarm clock to take with us in May. The airline won't think it's a bomb or something will they? :rolleyes:

Thanks!!
Carla

No they won't think that. Either checked or carry on will be fine. :thumbsup2

Thanks!!
Carla

As long as it doesn't have wires coming out of it so that it LOOKS like a bomb, you'll be fine with it in carry-on.

That survey is surprising. I wonder if most people interpreted "using the clock" as actually using the alarm on the clock, and not merely looking at it for the time. I'd bet that even people who claim to never use it (as long as they don't unplug it) still glance at it often to check the time. I think a lot of people will end up missing getting to glance at a clock across the room while they're getting ready, etc. I know I look at them often, most of the time not even fully aware that I'm doing it.

I also don't want to be sitting in a chair or at a table in the room reading a book or going through receipts and need to get up and walk across the room to my phone that now is charging by the beds just to see what time it is.

A wristwatch will tell you the time without having to get up. I always wear one when not at home...I like to know the time and there are lots of places without a clock readily available. I don't want to have to go digging through my purse to get the time all the time.

hmmm wow... I'm sure most guests these days do not need it. The problem with this is some guests do use it for their alarm clock. I know my parents would have nothing else. They are the type of people with the older style mobile phones and they don't even turn them on unless they know someone will be calling. There is no way they could use it as a clock or an alarm. My mom still thinks the off button is how you hang up.

A wristwatch will tell you the time without having to get up. I always wear one when not at home...I like to know the time and there are lots of places without a clock readily available. I don't want to have to go digging through my purse to get the time all the time.

I haven't worn a wristwatch in years even though I have dozens of them (I should probably sell most of them -- I could fund another Disney trip with the proceeds. :D). And I don't like the watch attachments on the Magic Bands. Even if I wore a watch (which I doubt I will ever do since I don't want something else on my wrist with a magic band) that still wouldn't help during the middle of the night. It's really not a big deal to bring my own alarm clock, it's just annoying that I have to. I don't understand the logic of completely removing the alarm clocks and replacing them with a charging block rather than replacing them with an alarm clock that includes USB ports and/or another outlet. If I'm out and about I don't mind pulling my phone out of my pocket to check the time on the very rare occasion that I don't see a clock somewhere. And at Disney, I use a wallet on a string that has a pocket with a clear window for my phone. I can see the time very easily. But when I'm at "home" (which I would consider a hotel room in this situation), I want to be able to see a clock. If I have to bring my own clock, so be it. Like I said before, it will live in the bin with all of the other things we need to take to Disney with us whenever we go -- no big deal. I'm just glad I know that I need to bring my own *before* I get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter