Have I Vented About This Before??? Re: Customer Service and "Authorized Contacts"

BethR said:
:mad: Twice today I have been told that I cannot be spoken to about an account since it was not in my name. Grrrrrr.

DD Ann asked me if I could help her out by setting up phone service for her apartment in Durham. So I called Verizon, waited on hold for 20 minutes, only to be told that unless *I* want the account in my name, that she had to call herself. :sad2: So frustrating. She works for the next 3 days and then goes on vacation with her BF's family. She asked me to do this to save her some time.

Then just a few minutes ago, I went to see our electric bill at MyCheckFree. For the second month in a row I had problems signing on, they froze the sign on, said that there was a problem with our e-mail address, so I called them. "I'm sorry, Mrs. R, Mr. R's name is on the account. Is he there?" Well NO! He just went swimming. "I'm sorry, I cannot talk to you since your name is on the account." Grrrrr.

We have had this account for over 25 years. I have always been the contact person. Now they have to talk to HIM! Guess who is getting her name on the account???

And don't even get me started on VerizonWireless!!! They will NOT add a second name to the account and they will NOT talk to me about activating new phones, starting new service, anything. But guess what! I can do everything on line!!! They think they're so smart! But *I'm* smarter!!! :teeth:

Hmmm - my phone service is in my deceased father's name (cuts down on prank calls). I'd like to see them try to get any information out of him! :rotfl2:

i had the same thing happen the other day i called someone about fixing it and called back posing as dh they were like please have mr russo call later and wouldnt help me
i wasnt happy
dh is never home and works crazy hours, he wasnt happy when i called him at work and told him to call them

disneynutt1225 said:
If your card is signed and it wasn't declined by the system, there's no need for them to check your driver's license. They SHOULD be verifying that the signature on your card matches the signature on your slip, but that's it.

Checking the sig on the card is what I really meant...I just had the Driver's License on the brain.

I feel bad for all the cashiers out there who are bawled out by customers because they are asked to see their card or show ID. But every once in a while, when I'm feeling brave, I will ask the cashier if they want to see my card. Nine times out of ten it's a "no, that's fine". I'm about to the point where I'm going to start ranting for not asking for proof of sig. Maybe identity theft would be a little reduced if this were put into common practice. Usually, I only see it commonly done at tourist locations (outlet malls, etc).

I deal with this daily,I am the person that has to tell the wife I cannot release the info with out talking to the husband first. Can I understand the wifes frustartion.....Yes, since I too am the one that handles all bills etc. But, I will never understand how when told I cannot release the info it gives the person the right to swear, yell calling me all kinds of colorful names. It is for the security of the account. How do I know your not an ex wife, or ex gf who still has his info. (I still know my exh ss# etc) . So when that ex gains access to the account, transferrs funds, closes the acct, changes address's, are you going to be to blame? Are you going to be understanding? I don't think so. I will be blamed and loose my job. Same thing goes with electric, phones, bills etc. That ex can order or shut off service, run up hugh bills and leave them for you to have to pay. All because someone gave out info without verifing the account with the acct holder. I understand this might be an extreme case, but it does happen. All the time. Or even if the info was stolen, they gain access to the accts. change the info but by the time you realize it when you don't recieve your statement, it's too late, they have already opened accts at other banks. got new cc's. etc. And this all happened because someone gave out info to someone other then the acct holder. So next time you call the bank and I won't give you your husbands info, Please don't scream at me, I'm just saving your money.....lol

Now about my cc, my signature keeps wearing off. I am glad the cashier always asks for my id with it. I at least know my acct is safe another day..lol. I also hate when I don't have to sign for my purchase, doesn't matter how much it is for. That in mho is just not right.

Disneydreaming6 said:
Now about my cc, my signature keeps wearing off. I am glad the cashier always asks for my id with it. I at least know my acct is safe another day..lol. I also hate when I don't have to sign for my purchase, doesn't matter how much it is for. That in mho is just not right.
I agree, I hate it when I don't have to sign or it's one of those things where you swipe the card yourself...they never check the card. Everywhere you turn, there's info on identity theft and yet more and more places are becoming easy targets to use a stolen credit card. Boggles my mind.

As far as the signature wearing off, trying using a permanent marker. Sharpie makes an extra fine point so it won't be big and thick. It won't wear off like pen ink will.

Another problem: during my first marriage, all the utilities were in my exdh's name, even though I had set them up and thought my name was on them. When I took over the house, I couldn't get the utilities changed to my name because he was on them and because I hadn't established a relationship to the utility company. They told me it was policy 20 yrs ago to have only the husband's name on the account. What a crock!

Good thing dh & I got along as he was willing to help get them straightened out. The other negative part of this was I had to pay a large deposit when I moved, as I never had electricity or gas in my name.

Since then, I've learned to check out everything so I never get stuck again.

Disneydreaming6 said:
I deal with this daily,I am the person that has to tell the wife I cannot release the info with out talking to the husband first. Can I understand the wifes frustartion.....Yes, since I too am the one that handles all bills etc. But, I will never understand how when told I cannot release the info it gives the person the right to swear, yell calling me all kinds of colorful names. It is for the security of the account. How do I know your not an ex wife, or ex gf who still has his info. (I still know my exh ss# etc) . So when that ex gains access to the account, transferrs funds, closes the acct, changes address's, are you going to be to blame? Are you going to be understanding? I don't think so. I will be blamed and loose my job. Same thing goes with electric, phones, bills etc. That ex can order or shut off service, run up hugh bills and leave them for you to have to pay. All because someone gave out info without verifing the account with the acct holder. I understand this might be an extreme case, but it does happen. All the time. Or even if the info was stolen, they gain access to the accts. change the info but by the time you realize it when you don't recieve your statement, it's too late, they have already opened accts at other banks. got new cc's. etc. And this all happened because someone gave out info to someone other then the acct holder. So next time you call the bank and I won't give you your husbands info, Please don't scream at me, I'm just saving your money.....lol

While I can understand the reasoning behind wanting to speak with the person on the account, to me it would make more sense to not allow them to make changes, etc on the account.

If I'm calling just to inquire whether or not a payment was recieved, or do change a due date on the billing or something minor it shouldn't be a problem, even asking what a balance is, or payment amount due, after all, what's saying "no maam, the payment hasn't been recieved" going to do to protect his identity. I'm the one who signs the darn checks and they have no problem cashing them.

If on the other hand I'm calling to cancel an account, change address, or something that could have a bad end result, then they should speak with the person on the line.

I'm going through this with Sears Credit Card people right now. DH has his own card from years ago, and then we have a joint account. He has never called to close his first (I wish I knew why...) I accidentally paid on his account, which has no balance, instead of our account. The person in customer service will not let me change how the payment was done without him there. I have all the information, even the card number, but not god enough. I'm going to have my dad call when he stops by today and say he's DH.

I used to do it with my grandmother all the time - I would just say I was her and had all the info they wanted. She gets a bit confused trying to do all this stuff, so it's just easier for everyone if I do it for her.

Jen

KelNottAt said:
Same here. Except DH and I have each other's power of attorney. So, I don't feel totally dishonest. Just a little.
I have POA also, and I sign his name to checks etc......... he travels and can't do it himself.

I had forgoten to stop and pay DH's car payment at the bank the other month, so I called to do it over the phone so it wouldn't be late. I knew the $ amount, but couldn't remember the exact cents. Do you know they wouldn't even tell me the cents b/c my name isn't on the loan??!! It is on the checking account I was taking the $ out of. I was so mad about that. :furious: I finally told them fine, hung up and went and looked at the previous months statement and then called back and asked for the supervisor I had spoken to and gave her the info she was so dead sent against giving me and reminded her that I could go on line and getting any info about this account that I wanted!!!!

For those of you that call pretending to be your spouse, do you change your voice to sound more like a man or woman?

corie161 said:
While I can understand the reasoning behind wanting to speak with the person on the account, to me it would make more sense to not allow them to make changes, etc on the account.

If I'm calling just to inquire whether or not a payment was recieved, or do change a due date on the billing or something minor it shouldn't be a problem, even asking what a balance is, or payment amount due, after all, what's saying "no maam, the payment hasn't been recieved" going to do to protect his identity. I'm the one who signs the darn checks and they have no problem cashing them.

If on the other hand I'm calling to cancel an account, change address, or something that could have a bad end result, then they should speak with the person on the line.

I think this is an excellant idea! :thumbsup2

Disneydreaming6 said:

I agree with you to a point. But when I'm calling to request something TO BE MAILED TO OUR HOME ADDRESS and not asking over the phone any other information about it, that both of us signed up for on the same day (in this case a certificate outlining the terms of our life insurance), at the same place, we have the same address, phone number, etc. that shouldn't be an issue. The company doesn't hesitate to take the money out of our checking every month. The papers in question do not have SSN information on them. I could see the extra security with bank accounts, credit cards and the like but requesting a piece of paper saying when the insurance is paid up and the amount is a little irritating. We both finally had to call to get our little letters and one piece of paper. Also, when I had some tests done at my doctor's office last year and they called my house and my husband happened to be home, they wouldn't tell him anything about my test results (even though I believe I signed off on it). He had to call me and I had to call them. I think sometimes it just gets frustrating. I give you credit for doing that type of work. Good luck! :3dglasses

I just wanted to say I work as an employee at Verizon and the reason that accounts are verified are not just because of the id theft but it is now company policy and required on every contact. We dont like doing it either but people will call and inquire on accounts that dont belong to them. They cancel accounts, add features ect. Verizon wireless is more strict for their own reasons. Customers who have had their ids stolen and fraudulent accounts in their names have no problem giving the info.If anything csts are more upset at having to go through the voice menus then having to give account information.

We can still discuss accounts that are not in the billing name but the caller must have a copy of the most recent bill and be willing to give the information off of it. Verizon wireless will only talk to the subscriber.

staceyfe said:
I also have a pet peeve with cashiers who never ask to see a driver's license when I purchase with a credit card. Why? Are they just lazy, or don't care?

I actually have a pet peeve about cashiers who ask for my drivers licence when I use a credit card! Look at my darn signature first and then ask if it doesn't match! It just goes to show you that you can't please everyone all the time :).

staceyfe said:
Checking the sig on the card is what I really meant...I just had the Driver's License on the brain.

Opps! Never mind, LOL!

Actually ... my local grocery store has me PO'd. They put in 4 "self service" lanes where you swipe your own groceries and weigh your own veggies. They have a rule that your purchase is locked and you must wait for an employee to come over and check your credit card and ID if your bill is over $25. When was the last time you spent only $25 at a grocery store? I told them that I would be taking up the time of their regular cashiers (who never check my ID) next time instead of saving them money by using the self service system.

robinb said:
I actually have a pet peeve about cashiers who ask for my drivers licence when I use a credit card! Look at my darn signature first and then ask if it doesn't match! It just goes to show you that you can't please everyone all the time :).
Speaking as someone who works in retail, it boggles my mind on why people get upset when we ask for ID...signature or not. We do it for YOUR protection. I bet if someone stole your credit card and started running charges you'd be a little more appreciative of people checking IDs regardless if you've signed your card. ;) It doesn't take any longer to pull out your ID than it did your credit card...and it keeps you better protected. I think two seconds out of my life to pull out an ID is worth it. :goodvibes

People wanted identity protection but then aren't happy with the things that keep them protected...I don't get it. :confused3

welovedisneyx4 said:
For those of you that call pretending to be your spouse, do you change your voice to sound more like a man or woman?

I'm a woman and I never change my voice to sound like a man when discussing my DFi's accounts. I don't see the need to. If I have all the information, down to the letter, they can't very well tell me that I'm not Mr. X. Some of them seem a little apprehensive about giving me information, but the fact of the matter is I answered the security question, knew all the pertinent info, and they can't do anything about it.

mking624 said:
Speaking as someone who works in retail, it boggles my mind on why people get upset when we ask for ID...signature or not. We do it for YOUR protection.

It boggles my mind that you think that checking an ID is for the protection of the customer. It is for the protection of the store so they don't have charge backs due to an invalid credit card. It is for the protection of the credit card companies so they don't need to refund the customer for the illegal charges. IMO the vast majority of face-to-face credit card fraud could be stopped by checking signatures on the back of the card. If that doesn't match then ask for an ID.

robinb said:
It boggles my mind that you think that checking an ID is for the protection of the customer. It is for the protection of the store so they don't have charge backs due to an invalid credit card. It is for the protection of the credit card companies so they don't need to refund the customer for the illegal charges. IMO the vast majority of face-to-face credit card fraud could be stopped by checking signatures on the back of the card. If that doesn't match then ask for an ID.

I work part time in retail and always ask for ID whenever I see them taking out a CC. It's not that difficult to erase the old signature and replace it with your own if you steal a CC. Also the Debit cards with CC features do not have the same protecting as a normal CC, also since it is tied directly to your checking account, think about all the checks and payments that you could have insufficiant funds for if someone was to go on a spending spree

disneynutt1225 said:
I'm a woman and I never change my voice to sound like a man when discussing my DFi's accounts. I don't see the need to. If I have all the information, down to the letter, they can't very well tell me that I'm not Mr. X. Some of them seem a little apprehensive about giving me information, but the fact of the matter is I answered the security question, knew all the pertinent info, and they can't do anything about it.

A few years ago, I called a CC company claiming to be my DH (and I have a deep voice anyway) and they didn't believe me and refused to answer my questions. Funny thing is, when I forced DH to all to add me as an "authorized contact", they didn't believe him, either. It wound up involving letter writing and wasn't pretty.

As far as CCs go, I just hand my license with the card. I'd much rather be overly cautious about my card security, speaking as someone who has had their debit card used and suffered the consequences of a gazillion $33 insufficient funds charges. BTW, I recently read somewhere that you should NOT sign your card, but write "verify photo ID" or something on the back and hand the license with the card.

Ragnrok23 said:
I work part time in retail and always ask for ID whenever I see them taking out a CC. It's not that difficult to erase the old signature and replace it with your own if you steal a CC.
I think it's more difficult than you think. The signature strip makes it hard to erase by solvents, etc. On many cards the word "VOID" appears with an erasure attempt. In addition, the panels have a design on them so you just can't use white-out over them.
Also the Debit cards with CC features do not have the same protecting as a normal CC, also since it is tied directly to your checking account, think about all the checks and payments that you could have insufficiant funds for if someone was to go on a spending spree
Yes they do. My mother had her debit card taken and used. They drained $2000 out of her account in 3 hours. All of her money was replaced, she was not liable for any charges against her nor was she liable for the insufficiant funds fees since she informed the bank of the theft within the hour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter