Have Canon G5, need something compatible

Fies4

Disney Lover
I currently have a Canon G5 and I really like it. We are leaving for WDW in about a month and I would like to get a less bulky digital camera to take with us that is compatible to the G5 (so I can use the same memory cards - compact flash - and batteries - rechargable lithium ion cell).
Walking around the parks with my fanny pack on for five days will be one thing but to have my camera case around my waist too, is a little much for an entire week. So I need a smaller Canon camera that will fit into my fanny pack. Any suggestions?

Nicole

I honestly don't think a G5 can be considered bulky, that is if you're in any way shape or form a little bit serious about taking pictures.

Gee, thanks for your opinion and the suggestion that I'm not serious; I'm just not a professional photographer.
I want a smaller camera that will take the same memory cards and batteries - does anyone else have any suggestions?

Fies4 said:
I currently have a Canon G5 and I really like it. We are leaving for WDW in about a month and I would like to get a less bulky digital camera to take with us that is compatible to the G5 (so I can use the same memory cards - compact flash - and batteries - rechargable lithium ion cell).
Walking around the parks with my fanny pack on for five days will be one thing but to have my camera case around my waist too, is a little much for an entire week. So I need a smaller Canon camera that will fit into my fanny pack. Any suggestions?

Nicole

I highly recommend a photography vest, cheaper than a new camera and a lot more comfortable than a camera bag..., I just did 6 days at WDW myself, hardly knew the vest was there...

1. you want the same memory cards
2. you want the same battery (which means it also has to be a Canon)
3. you want it smaller.

IT DOES NOT EXIST !!!!

You do not understand the law of physics. Smaller cameras means smaller optics means smaller sensor means worse picture quality.

The cameras that take your battery and CF cards are:

your own G5,
the replacement: G6
Rebel 300D (not XT/350D)
10D
20D
30D
5D

Again, what you want based on your parameters (same battery, same memory card but smaller) DOES NOT EXIST.

Geez, I don't understand the logic of some people.

MICKEY88 said:
I highly recommend a photography vest, cheaper than a new camera and a lot more comfortable than a camera bag..., I just did 6 days at WDW myself, hardly knew the vest was there...

Mickey88, be careful, she might bite your head off because she does NOT want a vest. What she wants is a camera that is smaller but uses the exact same CF card AND batteries.

Since you're in the "attack-Kelly" mode

A G5 in a fanny pack is too much? A lot of people on this board uses Canon S1IS, Canon S2IS, Kodak P850, Kodak P880 (which are basically the same size as you G5), dSLR, dSLR with tripod and additional lenses, or in my case dSLR,tripod,A95 pocket camera, A345 pocket camera, a prosumer video camera + outboard mic and light and I carry those all over for 15 days from 8am to 10pm.

Kelly Grannell said:
3. you want it smaller.

IT DOES NOT EXIST !!!!

You do not understand the law of physics. Smaller cameras means smaller optics means smaller sensor means worse picture quality.

your own G5,
Rebel 300D (not XT)
10D
20D
30D
5D

Again, what you want based on your parameters (same battery, same memory card but smaller) DOES NOT EXIST.

Maybe your initial reply should have simply stated some of these facts, Except without the CAPS. But you chose to question her seriousness instead.

Now that she knows that no smaller camera would use the same batteries, she maybe open to some of the other advice in this thread.

Kelly Grannell said:
3. you want it smaller.

IT DOES NOT EXIST !!!!

your own G5,
Rebel 300D (not XT)
10D
20D
30D
5D

My goodness, I never said I was an expert when it came to cameras or photography. Which would explain why I asked the question! My college degree was not in photography.
I've been checking cameras on the internet and I've called a local camera store so I know a little bit about this, but I thought since everyone else I've encountered on these boards have been so nice I would ask here. You could have said all that this in a much nicer way - in fact the first post you put on this thread was not even necessary. You are a very rude woman and I'll thank you to keep your negative comments to yourself.
In the future I'll get my advice from those who know what they are talking about and don't have anger & superiority issues - you really should see someone about that.

Anewman said:
Maybe your initial reply should have simply stated some of these facts, Except without the CAPS. But you chose to question her seriousness instead.

Now that she knows that no smaller camera would use the same batteries, she maybe open to some of the other advice in this thread.

Thank you! And you are very right, I am open to different cameras as long as I know all the facts.

may I suggest this?

COCAME0003_F.jpg

I actually have one. Seriously!

Back to topic. How small and light would it be considered as comfortable by you? Only then I can help you search what you need.

What I have in mind right now is:

A620_240x240.gif

Canon A620 (same quality as the G5, swivel lens, AA batteries for
convenience, but uses SD cards).

570b681f.jpg

or I can get you from Canon Canada, a brand new Canon A95, same quality as the G5, swivel lens, AA batteries too AND uses CF cards. It's an older model but I'll try calling Canon on Monday (if you want to) for availability and pricing. (on eBay, the refurbished version including shipping will cost you around US$250)

Fies4 said:
Thank you! And you are very right, I am open to different cameras as long as I know all the facts.

If you want to go Canon, they've been switching their point-and-shoot models over to SD. I would look for a camera that takes CF cards and AA batteries, regardless of manufacturer, since you really won't get a smaller camera if you have to use the proprietary Canon batteries. You can get nice rechargeable AAs and use them in all kinds of things. I have the Canon A620, and it's really great for what I need (I'm not a pro and I don't want to haul around a heavy camera on vacation), but the SD/CF thing could be a deal-breaker for some. I certainly wouldn't want to buy all new memory!

You can do a features search here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp
You can search by Compact Flash storage type and weight of the camera as well as including discontinued models. You'll want to specify more than that, or you'll get too many cameras to list.

I see that that's a 6MP camera. I think Canon will release something else with 7MP (to equal the 620) and also with swivel lens.

Kelly Grannell said:
I see that that's a 6MP camera. I think Canon will release something else with 7MP (to equal the 620) and also with swivel lens.

Well, if they're planning that, they're keeping it to themselves. The Canon website has all the new cameras announced last month, and there's nothing like that. (Though for the first time, I see, they have added IS to a pocketable digital camera...!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter