Have any of you been to Disney Tokyo?

Torontogal

Mouseketeer & Disney Vacation Club Member
Hello fellow DVC members! Welcome home! Don't you just love that? :)

I was wondering whether any DVC members have been to Disney Tokyo and what you thought of it? We are thinking of changing our 2009 Disney Florida plans to Tokyo. I spoke with a DVC Member Services person today who raved about it. They could not say enough good things about it. They said it was incredible and the best Disney park. They basically got me really excited and considering it for next year....possibly in July. I would love to know what you thought of it, what hotel did you stay at, how expensive was it, what was the flight like? ETC. I would be travelling with 2 seniors and 2 children - am I nuts?

Thanks for sharing...

I've heard nothing but great things about Tokyo Disneyland Resort, and I plan on visiting there within the next few years!

I was stationed near Atsugi Navy Base, thats where Oswald was stationed for you history buffs, so yes, we did visit. I wasn't a squid, but a jarhead.

If you can imagine WDW on the most crowded, packed, superbusy day of the year you're getting the picture. WHen you are up high looking down on the park, I was reminded of what an ant hill looks like.

It is kinda cool being over there in the park and actually hearing English though. For the talking shows, you can sit in the rear and pick up a headset to hear the translated English version of whats being said. The coolest part of having been, is saying that you've actually done it. Not very many from the USA I imagine have ever been.

Tokyo is mlore expensive than you can ever even imagine!! I was there for two years back in the early 1990s.

Canned Bud beer sold about $5.00 per can, and lunch at the Hardrock Tokyo, two burgers and two teas was about $40.00. Remember this was about 10+ years ago too. One kinda cool thing was Shakey's Pizza, they had that there. There haven't been any Shakey's Pizza in New Orleans for many years.

Pizza in Japan is prety much the same BUT they add strange toppings like, tuna, squid, eel, corn, and others that I can't remember. The corn wasn't really that bad.

If you're flying over just for DL, I would be pretty dissapointed. Its like going to Cali after you've been to WDW, pretty much the same, just much less and more people. With that being said we did have to visit DL also!

Probably the coolest part about actually going would being able to wear the shirt!

I rather have a much longer, all the frills, WDW trip though.

Ask me what you want and I'll try to remember.

We were there years ago when it was only the Magic Kingdom. Of course now there are two parks, MK and Disney Sea.

We were there more off season and the crowds wern't bad at all. You'll find that the Japanese are the most polite and courteous people you'll ever encounter.

We stayed downtown and took the subway out to the park.

You'll be fine with the language as there are plenty who can speak conversational English.

Go for it. You won't be disappointed.

I tried to use points this year for my daughter to stay the end of July, but no go. That is prime vacation time in Japan.
She absolutely loved DisneySeas.
Good luck. Hope you go whether you can use points or not.

Deb

We went in Dec. 2005 when DS was 2. We went to Tokyo for a friend's wedding and did both Tokyo DL and DisneySea. We stayed in an affordable hotel in Tokyo (the Shinagawa Prince Hotel, not near Disney). The most striking thing about the hotel was when I entered the room, I felt like I was entering a very small cruise ship cabin - I almost felt claustrophobic. Our hotel was right across the street from a major train/subway station which was great. We took the train to DL and it wasn't bad at all. The flight was fine with DH, myself and DS (we flew from So Cal to Tokyo). We flew Japan Airlines and had a really good experience.

We went to Disneyland the first day and it felt like a mix between DL in CA and MK, except it was more spread out. Main Street is covered. They even have a Blue Bayou, which is our favorite restaurant at DL. Since DL in CA no longer has Country Bear Jamboree, I had to see that - it was quite an experience hearing it in Japanese!

The second day we went to DisneySea. It was very impressive. There was a lot to see - I wish we were able to have more time there. We made the mistake of going to the Mermaid Lagoon area in the afternoon. This is a kids area which is all indoors (maybe even underground - very dark). DS liked it so much and we stayed so long that when we finally came out, it was dark! There is so much to see in all of the "themed ports" that we wished we had seen more during the daylight hours.

All in all we really enjoyed going to Tokyo Disney. As I recall, everything is quite expensive. One thing I found interesting was shopping for souvenirs. We waited until the end of the night to do our shopping, as did everyone else. That was one experience I will never forget. My main experiences have been at DL in CA (we have APs), where shopping gets crowded, but not crazy. The shopping there was crazy - wall to wall people everywhere. We definitely needed a lot of time to allocate to shopping. The other nice thing about Disney was that it was non-smoking. We are non-smokers so this was really nice. Everywhere else in Tokyo, there is a lot of smoking, A LOT.

For us, Disney was an added perk to our trip. We did a lot of other sightseeing and only spent 2 of 10 total days at Disney. DH has family in Tokyo so I know we will go back someday, but I'm sure we will again do more than just Disney. :)

I leave next week for Tokyo! We'll be at the Tokyo Disneyland Resort for three days. I absolutely cannot wait. DisneySea looks incredible!

Now if I can only stand being on the plane that long...:scared1:

-- Dave

My sister-in-law is moving to Japan soon (her husband will be stationed in Atsugi) so we are planning a trip out there next year. UrsulaDave - I'd be interested in reading your trip report if you end up writing one!

I leave next week for Tokyo! We'll be at the Tokyo Disneyland Resort for three days. I absolutely cannot wait. DisneySea looks incredible!

Now if I can only stand being on the plane that long...:scared1:

-- Dave

Were you able to use points or did you do a cash stay? When did you make your reservation?

Deb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter