• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have any CM's ever WALKED IN ON YOU in your room?

mindy327

DIS Veteran
After reading several posts, it got me thinking... Now that were going on a 7 night cruise I assume we will be spending some time in our cabin. I understand the door sign, but isnt it the SRH job to clean and do turn down service etc? Will he just come in or give us time to prepare?;) I can only imagine that families have been walked in on, during family time and HAPPY time. :laughing:

After reading several posts, it got me thinking... Now that were going on a 7 night cruise I assume we will be spending some time in our cabin. I understand the door sign, but isnt it the SRH job to clean and do turn down service etc? Will he just come in or give us time to prepare?;) I can only imagine that families have been walked in on, during family time and HAPPY time. :laughing:

Like in a hotel, there is a bolt you can throw that prevents anyone from just walking in the room. If the sign is on the door, they honor that. Also, I don't think they ever let themselves in without knocking and announcing themselves - even if the security bolt isn't thrown.

And I think you'll be surprised - even on the 7 nights, there always seems to be alot to do that keeps you out and about!

I've only cruised with DCL once and I was alone in my stateroom, so no 'happy time' for me.

I do know that I would put the do not disturb sign on the door at night and one morning I forgot to remove it. I was out all day until around 4 in the afternoon. There was a card pushed through the door stating they respected my wishes and had not entered the room, and to call if I needed towels etc. I was fine with all that and my room was cleaned and the bed turned down when i went for dinner.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded, I guess what I'm saying is, in my experience the SRH didn't enter when I had the sign on the door :goodvibes

You'll be surprised at how good they are at keeping track of who has come in and out of their cabin in the mornings, as well as in the evenings. We never had an issue on our previous cruise (not on DCL, but I'm sure this is the same everywhere) and it was just the two of us.

I believe the ship has sensors in every room to tell if there are people in them or not. These sensors are fed to the SRH, so he / she knows when they can clean your room. (not really, but it really seems like it)

On our last trip, we had some mornings when we were lazy and stayed in the room. SRH never bothered us even if we did not put the card out. But when we did leave, the room was clean when we got back. Other mornings, we went to Topsiders for breakfast, and when we came back, the room was cleaned. It really was comical (in a good way) how the SRH always knew when it was appropriate to clean the room.

On prior trips, if we were still in the room in the morning, there was always a knock on the door. I have also watched SRH from the hallways going to other rooms, where they open the door slowly to give time for someone inside to react if they need to.

Dh and I were walked in on our honeymoon back in 2000! :rotfl2: He had time to duck behind a curtain, me not so much. Our room had already been cleaned for the day, so it never occured to us that we needed to have the sign out. I tried to avoid our SRH for the rest of the trip, but I'm sure she got a good laugh out of it.

We were in our room getting ready for dinner. My friend was getting dressed and in walked our stateroom host. We did not think to put the do not disturb up because we figured he knew when we had been in the room each night. But boy were we wrong. He was super embarrassed and pretty much avoided us the rest of the trip.

hi
I agree with the notion they must have sensors in the cabins,:lmao: as we were only out of our cabin for moments before it was cleaned etc.....awesome experience, our cabin attendant was fantastic, can't wait to cruise again in september on the Wonder.

Although I am always totally paranoid about being sprung during "happy time" so definatley lock the door, put luggage in front of it and attach bells to handle..:rotfl2:also hang a sock from the door [isnt that the universal sign of Occupied??].:confused3

Yes - because my DH put out the "please make up room sign" instead of the "do not disturb sign"

He was in the shower. I was buck naked in the middle of the stateroom getting dressed.

Yes - because my DH put out the "please make up room sign" instead of the "do not disturb sign"

He was in the shower. I was buck naked in the middle of the stateroom getting dressed.

And a valuable lesson was learnt.....:rotfl: talk about my worse nightmare coming true.....

So what you're saying is....I should NOT let my DH do the hanging of the sign! :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

Harrowgirl......we feel your pain [and thank god it wasn't us]:rotfl2:

so ladies, remember.........if in doubt, do it yourself :thumbsup2

I walked out of the stateroom just ahead of DH while he was finishing on the "throne". DH thought it was me coming back in so he didn't say anything when the door opened, because I had just left and bam...there was the SRH. He was so glad he was sitting down and we never saw our SRH again either. :confused3

We had two incidents. The first one was not the SRH's fault. We had the Do Not Disturb sign up -- put it out the night before as we were planning on sleeping in. But somewhere through the night some jokers turned the sign around (never understood why the DND and Please Make up our Room are on the same sign). Luckily we also used the deadbolt that night so all we lost was some sleep when our SRH was knocking on the door at 7am, trying to open the door and startled us.

Second time was on embarkation day. It was definately after 1:30 when we were allowed to be in our cabins -- closer to 2. We were settling in -- luckily we were still pulling out the bathing suits from our daybag. Without a knock or warning of any kind our SRH who we had not even met yet, just walked in. He was startled to see us there but proceeded to spray the whole cabin with Lysol without a word, apology or introduction. His housekeeping supervisor got a call but we had lousy service all week -- guess he was afraid to enter our cabin at all.

Dh and I were walked in on our honeymoon back in 2000! :rotfl2: He had time to duck behind a curtain, me not so much. Our room had already been cleaned for the day, so it never occured to us that we needed to have the sign out. I tried to avoid our SRH for the rest of the trip, but I'm sure she got a good laugh out of it.

Thanks for sharing that!! I needed a good laugh tonite...

I had a slightly different situation happen...
DD had come back to the room to get ready for dinner. I had all of the suitcases out of the closet in that narrow walkway area (between the closet and the bathroom) and the walkway was completely blocked. When DD tried to open the door, I told her she was going to have to come back in about 5 min because there was just no way for her to enter the room right then... So I am rummaging thru the various suitcases looking for the top I desired. It's only been about a minute or so since DD was at the door and I hear another knock. I open the door, thinking it was DD being impatient, only to find out that it was our state room host (male). Good thing I couldn't get the door open very far (because of the suitcases) as I was not dressed suitably for company! :eek: I was terribly apologetic to the poor guy as I was sure it was DD and had quite the 'tone' when I opened the door saying something about "being patient and I told you not to come back for at least 5 minutes..." :rotfl2: Poor guy...now I don't feel so bad. I guess they have been exposed to worse!! :lmao:

You'll be surprised at how good they are at keeping track of who has come in and out of their cabin in the mornings, as well as in the evenings. We never had an issue on our previous cruise (not on DCL, but I'm sure this is the same everywhere) and it was just the two of us.

This is true. It is almost freaky. We could go out for just a short time and the lovely steward would have come and gone when we came back. Almost like a 'steward fairy." Made me wonder if they had some sign of detection system to know if the room was occupied or not...

The Dream is supposed to have card "holders" right inside the door that will turn on the electric in the stateroom, I would imagine this would have a sensor in it to tell the hosts that the room is occupied?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter