Have a Photopass Question? Ask me!

ChanaC

DIS Veteran
Hi guys! I'm a Photopass Photographer at WDW. I have noticed a LOT of guests who seem really confused by Photopass, Memory Maker, etc. so I thought it might actually help me in the park if I can help you here! So if you have any questions about Photopass or related topics (Magic Bands, characters, etc.) ask away.

Just some guidelines:
- Not giving away my real name for obvious reasons
- Also not giving out any personal info
- I can try to answer any question possible, but as a warning I never worked at Magic Kingdom or the water parks so my info on stuff there is a bit limited.

I hope this is allowed by the DIS board. I promise, I'm not trying to sell anything, just get as much info out there as possible.

Also, let me know if you want the "real" answer or the "magical" answer. It's up to you!

Is there a photo pass photographer at Pirates and Pals? The CM I talked to on the phone when I booked said no, but some reviews I've read lead me to believe there is.

How many pics do I need to have taken to make the memory maker "worth it?" As in, cheaper than buying individual pics rights?

This is kind of a strange question, but do you scan your band before or after the photos are taken?

Also, we love the magic shots! I have three children and is it ok to ask for individual pics of each child, or do the photographers get annoyed with that. Last time, we didn't ask for individual pics and regretted it.

Thank you for offering to answer questions!

This is kind of a strange question, but do you scan your band before or after the photos are taken?

Also, we love the magic shots! I have three children and is it ok to ask for individual pics of each child, or do the photographers get annoyed with that. Last time, we didn't ask for individual pics and regretted it.

On our trip I handed my card to the photographer before they took the pics, and they scanned it afterward. Having the card was nice because they could start the scan stuff while I was walking back to them, it saved a little time of just standing around.

We did individual shots with Tink in our hands, then a group shot of all of us holding her. If there's a line (like the people right at the entrance at rope drop), I wouldn't ask for individual pics, but they'll do it if you ask. It just backs up the rest of the people in line.

Is there a photo pass photographer at Pirates and Pals? The CM I talked to on the phone when I booked said no, but some reviews I've read lead me to believe there is.

How many pics do I need to have taken to make the memory maker "worth it?" As in, cheaper than buying individual pics rights?

Are you talking about the fireworks cruise? As of the last I know there is a photographer with the kids at Contemporary before and after the cruise. Before the kids get cute pirate poses and after they get pictures with Peter Pan. I used to work at Chef Mickeys and some of the people (not me) would do that but that was about a year ago so I'm not sure if anything changed since then. I am also not positive if the photos are included in the package or not. Sorry I can't help more!

As for memory maker, it really depends. If you don't do a lot of the rides, if you are not into characters, if you don't do the character dining, and if you don't usually stop for photos than maybe not. It's all up to how much you use it. Think about it this way - if you take at least 100 photos (which can be easier than it seems) than you just paid $2 a photo, which is pretty good.

Many people are surprised by how many photos they take. If you have a good photographer at a character location and you really interact with the character you can easily walk away with 6 photos a character. That being said, sometimes we just snap away and some photos do tend to be people's back or unflattering.

Here are some times if you get memory maker and want to get the most out of it:

- Meet lots of characters and really interact with them. Don't just go up, stand next to them and smile. The characters actually like when people interact with them. It's the difference between "meeting" a character and "just taking a picture" with the character.

-Ask for magic shots (note: photographer can't be with a character, on a tripod, or at night)

- Stop nearly every time you see a photographer. I say nearly because there will always be a member of your group who will say "not another photo!". Remember, for every park there are primary and secondary icon locations. Don't just get Spaceship Earth at Epcot, look for a photographer by the Eiffel Tower in France. Don't just get the Sorcerer Mickey hat at Studios, get one by the Tower of Tower. Don't just get the Tree of Life at Animal Kingdom, get one by Everest.

- Get photos at different times of the day. Everyone wants a photo of an icon as soon as they get into the park, but consider how beautiful Spaceship Earth looks at sunset and night.

Some people just get a few photos and print/download them, which is fine. But I hate when people come up to me at one of the view stations with 50 photos on their memory maker. It's a bit of work, but it's worth it.

Does that help?

AFTER! So many people come up to me holding out there wrist!

Of course it's ok to ask for individuals! It's our job. I'll be honest, some people get annoyed. Just be really nice and make sure to ASK. It makes the whole interaction so much better when someone asks, "May we please get individual shots of the kids? Thank you so much!" than "We want to get individual pictures." We hate it when people demand us around. Make sure to ask about the magic shots because some people don't do it automatically and too many people leave without anything. Also, magic shots can't be done if the photographer is with a character or on a tripod (usually). They can't be done at night either. Also, please make sure there isn't a huge crowd behind you. We want to make sure everyone gets something done and it can be frustrating when there is a huge crowd waiting because a family of 15 insists on getting every combination of photos possible... Just be reasonable!

Big note: I HATE being on a tripod (not that I have a choice). Why? Because sooo many people come up and say "we want a photo!" Sometimes, they see me, turn to their family, ask the family if they want a photo, than just walk right up without asking me! Worse, they just stand in front of the camera without saying anything! Please please please just ask! It literally makes my day when someone comes up and politely ask for their photo. Remember, we are humans, not a photo booth. The other day I was on a tripod for about six hours and I think only two people actually said please.

Tips with magic shots - I don't like to tell kids what they will have because I like it when they are surprised. Make sure to mention if it feels like you are doing the same thing twice because you want to get as many different ones as possible. Also, don't ask for one if your child isn't old enough to do it. There is nothing more frustrating to get a 2 year old to do something they physically can't do. If you have a small child as if there is something you both can be in.

Also, every park has some specialties. We have some brand new magic shots that just came out so let me know if you want to know what everything is. Like I said, I like seeing people surprised but if you want I can let you know to the best of my ability what is currently going on.

Oh, forgot to mention that I've also worked at Universal Studios and SeaWorld (not in photos) so I can try to answer your questions about them too!

Hi I have a trip comming up it will be our second trip first trip with mm package and trying to learn all I can about it an plan for it... So what are magic shots?? Are they at all 4 parks??? Are they only in certain parts of the parks??? Oh and how do you go about getting the ride photos added to the card? Band? Thanks for the info

Is there any way to get like a checklist of Magic Shots? Even if you don't want to tell what they are, a list of pose instructions or something similar would be awesome. I have Stitch popping out of the ground 3 different times, even after telling the photographer that I already have that shot.

Thanks!!

Hi I have a trip coming up it will be our second trip first trip with mm package and trying to learn all I can about it an plan for it... So what are magic shots?? Are they at all 4 parks??? Are they only in certain parts of the parks???

Is there any way to get like a checklist of Magic Shots? Even if you don't want to tell what they are, a list of pose instructions or something similar would be awesome. I have Stitch popping out of the ground 3 different times, even after telling the photographer that I already have that shot.

Thanks!!

This site hasn't been updated in a long time, but I would assume that it's still pretty accurate with regards to what magic shots are available:

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disneysphotopass/#magic

AFTER! So many people come up to me holding out there wrist!

Of course it's ok to ask for individuals! It's our job. I'll be honest, some people get annoyed. Just be really nice and make sure to ASK. It makes the whole interaction so much better when someone asks, "May we please get individual shots of the kids? Thank you so much!" than "We want to get individual pictures." We hate it when people demand us around. Make sure to ask about the magic shots because some people don't do it automatically and too many people leave without anything. Also, magic shots can't be done if the photographer is with a character or on a tripod (usually). They can't be done at night either. Also, please make sure there isn't a huge crowd behind you. We want to make sure everyone gets something done and it can be frustrating when there is a huge crowd waiting because a family of 15 insists on getting every combination of photos possible... Just be reasonable!

Big note: I HATE being on a tripod (not that I have a choice). Why? Because sooo many people come up and say "we want a photo!" Sometimes, they see me, turn to their family, ask the family if they want a photo, than just walk right up without asking me! Worse, they just stand in front of the camera without saying anything! Please please please just ask! It literally makes my day when someone comes up and politely ask for their photo. Remember, we are humans, not a photo booth. The other day I was on a tripod for about six hours and I think only two people actually said please.

Tips with magic shots - I don't like to tell kids what they will have because I like it when they are surprised. Make sure to mention if it feels like you are doing the same thing twice because you want to get as many different ones as possible. Also, don't ask for one if your child isn't old enough to do it. There is nothing more frustrating to get a 2 year old to do something they physically can't do. If you have a small child as if there is something you both can be in.

Also, every park has some specialties. We have some brand new magic shots that just came out so let me know if you want to know what everything is. Like I said, I like seeing people surprised but if you want I can let you know to the best of my ability what is currently going on.

Thanks so much! I am surprised that people would just come up and not say anything or demand things....how rude!! In the past, we always asked for pictures and they did their thing, then we always thanked them. Later after we had gotten home, we wished we would have gotten some individuals for the kids to display in their bedrooms. The kids are 12, 8 and 7 and would have been proud to have their own pics on display. It's good to know we can ask if there isn't a line.

We would LOVE to know what the new magic shots are!

I ordered memory maker at christmas over the phone but live in Canada and they never shipped me a slipped to trade in for a card (we are staying off site). I can't get someone to give me a straight answer! One person told me just to go to will call when I get there and they will give me one because I ordered over the phone? Help!

Thanks!!

I'm making a list right now (with pictures)! I should have it done by tonight.

This site hasn't been updated in a long time, but I would assume that it's still pretty accurate with regards to what magic shots are available:

This isn't very up to date or accurate. I will have a better list up later tonight.

Hi I have a trip comming up it will be our second trip first trip with mm package and trying to learn all I can about it an plan for it... So what are magic shots?? Are they at all 4 parks??? Are they only in certain parts of the parks??? Oh and how do you go about getting the ride photos added to the card? Band? Thanks for the info

Hi there! Let's answer your questions in order:

-Magic shots are "magical" picture where something special appears in your photo.

-Yes, they are done in all four parks.

-Yes and no. Usually any photographer who is not with a character or on a tripod cannot take one. They usually can't be taken at night also. There are certain spots where only certain pictures can be taken. It's a little confusing but look for a post coming up tonight. I'm going to list everything that can be done and in what parks/specific locations.

-Ride photos can ONLY be added once you get off the attraction at the photo station. We DO NOT have access to them in the front of the parks. There are two totally separate systems - one that does regular photopass photos and one that does ride photos. That being said, sometimes, but only sometimes, a ride photo may be automatically added to your band. This is a test so it doesn't happen with everyone. So, to repeat, make sure to stop by the photo station at the end of the ride to get your photo. If you don't, you might not see it again.

-After we take photos we can automatically scan them to your band. Then you can look them up online or at the view stations in the front of the park. I recommend stopping by at least once just to make sure all of your photos are there. Sometimes they don't appear but a quick and easy search will pull them up.

BIG NOTE TO EVERYONE: Photos do NOT show up on the My Disney Experience app on Apple products (iPhones and iPads). They do not carry Flash which is required to see the photos. I don't think the app was even built to view photos. So please, don't panic when you don't see your photos on the app. You will when you go home and open the site on your browser.

I ordered memory maker at christmas over the phone but live in Canada and they never shipped me a slipped to trade in for a card (we are staying off site). I can't get someone to give me a straight answer! One person told me just to go to will call when I get there and they will give me one because I ordered over the phone? Help!

I'm sorry but I don't have a 100% accurate answer for you either, since that is handled by guest relations and vacation planning. From the best of my knowledge go to will call and they will give you the card, then go to guest relations or one of the My Disney Experience kiosks to activate it. Then make sure to keep the card with you so you can get it scanned after you get your pictures and so you can get your attraction photos. Sorry I couldn't help better!

Ok, here are all the magic shots I know of. If anyone is reading this and wants to be surprised, here is your warning to skip this post. Also, all the photos posted are not mine, just images I found on a Google image search.

There are certain magic shots that can be taken at every park. They are:

Stitch ground - Stitch pops out of the ground while you point and look surprised. The photographer gets the people to point to the ground and look surprised. Sometimes he pops out of a prop box the photographer will give you.
magic_2.jpg

Tinkerbell - Tink can be done almost anywhere and is one of the most popular. The position is to either hold one hand or both hands out. In every park Tink will have a slightly different pose. For example, in Animal Kingdom she sits in a hand and in Magic Kingdom she hovers.
34861220015.jpg

Balloons - You hold a fist or thumbs up above your head or to the side and they put colorful Mickey balloons in your hand.
Photo2239FourBySix.jpg

Now for park specific shots...

Magic Kingdom - I don't work here so this is to the best of my knowledge:
Sebastian - You hold out your hand and Sebastian (the crab from Little Mermaid) is in it. It is only done by the Little Mermaid ride in Fantasyland
sebastian-cynthia.jpg

Prince Naveen - You put out your hand and frog Prince Naveen (Tiana's prince in Princess and the Frog) is there, making a kissy face.
Photo0040FourBySix.jpg

Chip - You put out your hand and Chip (the teacup from Beauty and the Beast) is there. Only done by the Beauty and the Beast area in Fantasyland
pp_chip1.jpg

Hitchhiking ghosts - you put a thumb out like you are hitchhiking and the ghost from Haunted Mansion stand next to you. Done ONLY during Halloween and in front of the mansion
Photo0313FourBySix.jpg

Epcot:
*Most Epcot Magic shots are done around World Showcase
Chip (done in France)

Butterfly release - you sort of cup your hands and a set of four butterflies comes out. This example is not the best.
pp_butterfly.jpg

Butterfly single - you put your hand palm down and a single butterfly lands on it. I can't find an example of it online.

Wings - you slightly turn around with your shoulder towards the photographer and they put fairy wings on you. I can't find an example and it isn't done much.

Stitch bench - you sit on a bench or curb and Stitch sits next to you eating an ice cream cone. I usually make the kids cross the arms and look angry at stitch as if he ate their cone or if he is just being rude.
aac57c7687e3263e4afdd9285d465fc4.jpg

Animal Kingdom:
Now with both butterfly poises!

Simba - You hold your arms like there is a baby and baby Simba is there. Note that this is hard to get looking right and I usually only do it with kids 7 or up.
magic_5.jpg

Brand new! Jiminy Cricket: Now you put your hand palm up above your head and Jiminy Cricket will float in on his umbrella! No images of it made it online yet.

Hollywood Studio:
The fun magic shot park!

Chip - By the Beauty and the Beast show

Stitch Bench

Mike: This was out during the summer to promote Monter's U, went away, and is back again. You make a "monster" pose and Mike "photobombs" with his pose. This uses to be only out in front of the park but now I think it can be done everywhere.
94be4c8426dc9df60a3634fda8d17bb4.jpg

Darth Vader: You get a prop lightsaber and fight Darth Vader. Done by the Star Wars area. I swear that is a magic shot, not a real person.
vader1.jpg

Announcing a brand new shot! It's still in testing so I wouldn't give much away *drumrolls*

OLAF! You will stand next to Olaf from Frozen as he dances under his snow cloud.

So that is everything I remember. I'll edit this if I think of anything else. I will leave with a list of magic shots no longer done:

Mickey sitting (I miss this)
Minnie sitting (This too)
Lilo sitting
Soarin' flying over
Princess Tiana as a frog

Also, I see some Captain Hook shots similar to the Darth Vader ones online. I haven't seen them here so I think it might be a CA thing only.

Just a note when asking about magic shots - not every photographer can do everything. Also, don't just pose. We have to "tag" the shot into our equipment. Also, it'll look better if we help you into the position. Please just be nice when asking. If something looks familiar, just say you've done it and they will probably (not always) so something else. Remember many things can go in the palm of your hand so even if you think you are taking three Tink shots you could be doing a bunch of different things.

Hope that helps! I also hope I don't get in trouble for revealing too much. After all, most of it is online and easy access to the general public. Just remember, you didn't hear it from me (not that my profile name is my real name anyway).

This is one of the best threads I've seen in a long time. Thank you sooooo much for the wonderful info. I really appreciate it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter