Have a favourite hotel in Port Canaveral you'd recommend?

FigmentSpark

DIS Veteran
We're looking to stay overnight in the Port Canaveral area just before our cruise. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Our cruise is our luxury, so the hotel doesn't have to be, but I don't want a dump, either, much less a high priced dump.

I've sailed out of Port Canaveral multiple times and tried a bunch of the hotels. A lot of them that are still recommended, I won't do anymore (Resort at the Port). My favorite for an overnight is the Holiday Inn Express. It's renovated, clean, and I've dealt with some nice people there. It's also walkable to Publix for last minute necessities. It's not on the beach, but that doesn't matter to me.

Have fun on your cruise.

If 20 people respond you will probably get 20 different hotel favorites which may not help much given there are only 25 or so hotels in the area located in 4 clusters all within 6 miles from the Port!

The good news is none of the top 20 are "dumps" and folks are generally happy with the hotels here - BUT it depends on expectations and what you are looking for and your budget.

You have kids who want exciting pools with waterfalls, etc (not the square variety)? Or hotels near minigolf and other kid-friendly attractions?
You want to see the ocean or the cruise ships, or walk on the beach?
You want to be within walking distance of restaurants/bars or do you have a car and can drive every where?
You want a newer hotel?
You want one of the cheaper hotels?
You want a hotel that offers a 40% ship-side parking discount?

The new Homewood Suites seem to tick most people's check marks, but there are other great places. The options are too much to list here but you can read it here http://cruiseportcanaveral.us/hotels/

Last edited:
Your decision may be made in part based on availability. I've had the experience of not being able to book rooms at a given PC hotel even a year in advance. Of the 20 or so hotels, you'll find a room!

We need a clean and comfortable place to sleep. We're doing Kennedy the day before the cruise. But good point, some people might like oceanfront or ocean accessible, etc. We will have a car, but again, others might not, so good questions.

OK since you have wheels and can drive around, the new Homewood Suites gets my vote. If you get a top floor room on the east side you can see Terminal 1 and the ships coming and going.
They seem to offer mid-range rates, they have a nice pool and tiki bar area and you can choose between parking onsite or shipside using a 40% discount. It is one of the hotels closest to the Disney terminal 8.
Some pictures here - http://cruiseportcanaveral.us/homewoodsuites/

We need a clean and comfortable place to sleep. We're doing Kennedy the day before the cruise. But good point, some people might like oceanfront or ocean accessible, etc. We will have a car, but again, others might not, so good questions.
When we had a car, we chose the Hampton Inn....clean, cheap, good breakfast, water view.

We like Four Points Sheraton, which right next to the Ron Jon surf shop. It is close to the beach. There is a Walgreens across the street and there are plenty of restaurants near by. It also has a good restaurant on site.

I saw the Four Points... right next to the Comfort Inn? Do you know if you can walk to the beach from there?

OK since you have wheels and can drive around, the new Homewood Suites gets my vote. If you get a top floor room on the east side you can see Terminal 1 and the ships coming and going.
They seem to offer mid-range rates, they have a nice pool and tiki bar area and you can choose between parking onsite or shipside using a 40% discount. It is one of the hotels closest to the Disney terminal 8.
Some pictures here - http://cruiseportcanaveral.us/homewoodsuites/

Thanks for that link. We were already booked at the Homewood Suites (I think it opens this month) for August pre cruise stay and I am happy to see they have been added to the 40% off port parking voucher program. We have stayed at the Radisson, MRI, CI&S, 4 Points Sheraton and Doubletree before so looking forward to a new hotel! Our favorite up to date has been the Marriott Residence Inn (MRI).

MJ

We have always stayed at the Radisson, at the port and enjoyed it. We did the drive park cruise package which made the room (with a really fun pool area) just about $100 for the night. When we went with a group of Family members half our rooms were upgraded to suites.)

Anyone stayed in the Hyatt at MCO?

We stayed there this trip pre-cruise and really liked it. My son loved that he could watch the planes come and go. Clean and quiet. At the port we like the Residence Inn. Nice staff, great pool area and good breakfast included with your stay. Wasn't crazy about the time we stayed at the Hilton, even though it was on the beach. Dark, older, room in need of a renovation. It was just ok.

Just stayed at the Residence Inn for our last cruise. Clean and comfortable.

Bonus: large enough, well lit parking spaces to change a flat tire on a minivan after sunset and pool bar open late.

When we had a car, we chose the Hampton Inn....clean, cheap, good breakfast, water view.

We stayed at Hampton Inn in Port Canaveral as well and would stay there again. Rooms were very clean and comfortable. I could see the beach from our balcony. It had a decent pool area, nothing fancy but larger than most. There's a short walkway straight to the beach and the hotel even had a bin with beach toys you could use. It had a hot breakfast included in the price. We drove somewhere else for dinner, but I want to say there was a grill on site and the hotel right next door also has a restaurant in it.

Just stayed at the Residence Inn for our last cruise. Clean and comfortable.

Bonus: large enough, well lit parking spaces to change a flat tire on a minivan after sunset and pool bar open late.

Very thorough of you to test out that possibility. ;) I hope it was your van and not a rental.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter