"Have a Disney Day!"

ValpoCory

DIS Veteran
Has anyone ever heard that phrase used by a CM, or is that a myth/urban legend?

If you haven't heard of it, you can google the phrase or look it up on Urban Dictionary.

If you haven't heard of it, you can google the phrase or look it up on Urban Dictionary.

I'm not sure I have heard a CM say it, but growing up in SoCal I remember a DL commercial which aired in the mid 80's or so which had a song with the lyrics,"The Disney way to spend a Disney day, here at Disneyland." I'm not sure exactly when those commercials aired, but it seem like midd to late 80's.

EDIT- I just looked at urban dictionary, and I have never heard of that definition of the phrase "Disney day." I'm sure that is not what the commercials were telling people.

ValpoCory said:

Yes, some say it. And, no, I don't think they mean it the way it is rumored on Urban Dictionary.

- Dreams

Never heard it nor used it in the workplace, but I remember the cast member teaching our Traditions orientation saying it a lot. He sounded so patronizing. I can barely tolerate "have a magical day!" Those canned phrases sound so insincere.

Really? I don't even work for Disney and I say "Have a Magical Day" all the time....

It's part of the "training", also always point with two fingers apparently one is a bad sign in some cultures, never tell a customer "no" it's yes but.....son got his first "point" the other day he was 10 seconds late punching.....

I definitely know it was used in Florida, as I had CM friends tell me about it and I saw it in action. I was chatting with one of my friends who worked at a shop in Pleasure Island. A real jerk of a guest came in, and I mean this guy was so pompous I almost couldn't believe he was for real. Anyway, as the guy was leaving the shop my friend stepped out and said in a rather loud voice, "Have a Disney day!" He told me to follow behind the guy for a little bit to see what would happen.

Basically, all the CMs in the vicinity looked over at the "Have a Disney day!" signal and saw which guest was being targeted. The first place he came to was a bar on the side of the road, where the guest didn't even stop, but the CM said in another loud voice "Have a Disney day!" That mantra followed this guy all the way out of Pleasure Island, and it was like a signal to other CMs to watch out for this guest because he was a jerk

Nothing bad came of it, but I found it fascinating that the CMs had their very stealthy way of watching out for one another and tipping each other off that a nasty guest was in their midst.

At WDW we use it all the time, not sure about the CMs in DLR. You probably hear it more at the front desk or guest services than around the parks - one of those things ingrained in you from day one ;).

At WDW we use it all the time, not sure about the CMs in DLR. You probably hear it more at the front desk or guest services than around the parks - one of those things ingrained in you from day one ;).

What I find sad is that CMs should have to "use it all the time". The behavior of my fellow guests is so disappointing sometimes...

What I find sad is that CMs should have to "use it all the time". The behavior of my fellow guests is so disappointing sometimes...

And I see people being polite--tomato, tomato. Right? I worked in customer service for years, and now am in education (sorry, but it is more similar than you can imagine!) and I never felt to the need to tell someone to do something rude to themselves. Once you start thinking that, it is time to find another profession. People, as a whole, are good. Don't let a few bad apples make you think everyone are acting in a "disappointing" way. It just isn't so.

When it's said insincerely, it's insincere. I've heard plenty of cast say it thinking they sound like Ned Flanders but come across more like David Spade. That's all I meant. It wasn't a comment about you.

The same thing can be said for "Have a nice day" - the phrase it is not the problem if people do not mean it.

I don't think tzeitel meant that WDW CMs use it all the time to mean something mean or bad. I think tzeitel just meant that it is an expression that is used all the time and means exactly what it says.

Tzeitel, of course correct me if I am wrong. :goodvibes

- Dreams

I don't think tzeitel meant that WDW CMs use it all the time to mean something mean or bad. I think tzeitel just meant that it is an expression that is used all the time and means exactly what it says.

Tzeitel, of course correct me if I am wrong. :goodvibes

- Dreams

Yep, not used to mean anything other than have a nice day :thumbsup2

Haven't heard "disney day" but have heard "have a magical day" a lot when dealing with Disney folks.

A google search of the term does bring up urban dictionary in the #1 slot, but a 2009 dis thread comes up second. :rotfl:

I think anyone with the "right" inflection can turn an otherwise innocuous phrase into an insult. Heck, I bet there are a few emoticons/smilies floating around on internet forums/boards that most take at phase value but others might use/see as an insult.

It's amusing, though. No doubt if/when next someone tells me to have a Disney Day, it will give me pause ;)

I have read on a reddit AMA from a Disney cast member that it is in fact meant to be ironic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter