Haunted Mansion

ozbrooke

Earning My Ears
Can someone give me a run down of what to expect from this ride. I can't really remember most of it, just the room at the start and then the mirrors. DS says he wants to go on this ride but he's quite timid so I want to prepare him beforehand.

A basic outline of the ride:

A big group of people enter into a large elevator. The elevator descends while the "ghost host" narrates. The doors open and you walk down a hall with changing pictures and other illusions. You board the "doom buggies" and are taken on the ride.

Tell your DS that the ghosts are fake or make it sound like it's a "funny" ride. To quote from the Unofficial guide, tell him that it is only "Mickey Mouse magic" and that "Mickey would never hurt anyone" Also maybe rent the Haunted Mansion movie before you go and see how he does.

I have taken my oldest son on it sense he was 10 months old and this last trip was my youngest sons first time at 19 months. He sat on my lap facing me and if he didn't want to look he just buried his head in my chest or shoulder. My oldest is timid and he loves it! He takes his buzz gun or this pirate sword and scares the ghosts back. He loves it!

The part that always scares DD is in the beginning, after the room sinks it all goes black, and then there is a flash of lightening at the top (with a skeleton or something - forgive me - the last 2x it has been the halloween version - I am bad I know). I would always warn her that the beginning would be fun like an elevator and we would sink down, and then the dark and the lightning - and then after that we get to see what friendly ghost decides to ride with us in the buggy and see ourselves in the mirror.

I LOVE THAT RIDE... :) only part that scares me is with the bride :scared1: before you get to the graveyard..

Definitley have your son watch the video. My kids were nervous the first time they went on it at age 4 & 8. It turned out to be one of their favorite rides. Also, when the elevator goes dark, sometimes you will be with a group that like to scream. I think that is the worst part for the little ones. After that, the ride is just plain fun.

Thanks everyone :)

I found a video on youtube so I'll show him that, then he'll at least know what to expect. I just don't want him to freak out when he's on the ride. Some things he's really timid with and others he's really brave, it's just hard to know how he'll react.

Yes, you can find lots of DL rides on youtube. :surfweb:

If it makes you feel any better (this did for me) I read in the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland, that generally speaking, if you take your kids on POTC first, they should do just fine on HM which is right next door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter