Haunted Mansion Dooney & Bourke

Kidclarke

Earning My Ears
I wanted to share my nightmare trying to return my poor quality Haunted Mansion Dooney & Bourke Bag. I tried Dooney & Bourke, I sent in my bag into them for repair/replacement. I was told they couldn't repair/replace it and that I should return it to the Disney Store for full refund (Dooney won't even return my emails anymore about refund for shipment). I emailed Disney Store about it and they told me to return it to the parks. I went to the parks and they told me to call Guest Services. I talked to Guest Services yesterday and they told me too bad so sad, it's past 30 days and to try and call Dooney to get them to return it.

I don't know where to go from here anymore. I am so upset and angry both of these companies would do this. This bag is a lot of money so it shouldn't be falling apart, Dooney says they guarantee their bags for 1 year, but obviously not. Anyone have suggestions?

There is a whole thread on this bag. Started out as a fun thread but toward the end, all sorts of complaints. You might want to search as folks do share about their return experiences. I think some had success. Not sure what they did.

If you look at the thread, it's locked.

I have done everything suggested, I cannot discuss further with anyone on there so I am trying to get some help here. I am really frustrated and upset, I don't know what steps to take anymore.

Last edited:
Again, if anyone has any ideas/suggestions, I would really appreciate it. I've started asking them about it on all forms of social media. Dooney will not return my calls or emails. Disney won't help because it's past the 30 day return mark.

I noticed they shut down the thread. I'm at a loss too. Same letter, same song and dance, neither company will step up and do the right thing. Some people had luck at the parks but I;m not sure what the difference is. Maybe if you stand in front of the Dooney section and speak loudly about how crappy these bags are, bad customer service, not honoring warranty are no one should waste their money. I;m not a rude crazy person and hate to draw attention and not at all one to cause a scene but I've had it with these 2 companies. Maybe try a different store and person. I asked for mine back from Dooney and plan to take it with me in August. I'll be happy w a store credit since I'll be at the park anyway.

And the Disney personal shoppers have called me to help me with my situation (I havent called back but maybe this week I will) but I;ve heard from others that they got a pleasant person initially trying to help then later got calls back FROM DISNEY and a total B yelling at them saying no luck we can't help you. WTH??

If for whatever reason I can't get the credit from Dis I'm going to do the Angelus paints. I'll cont to blast on twitter.

Someone posted on the end of the last thread about how Dooney said they would not honor any future warranty if they requested their bag back :rotfl2: What a load of pooh:!! They're not honoring them in the first place!

Please forgive this question, but I'm confused. Do I understand that Disney is refusing a refund because it's been over 30 days? We returned a pricey ($75) shirt to the shop at OKW and it was well over 4 months after purchase. We received a store credit with no problem, which was fine with me. Is the refusal due to the purchase price (I know Dooneys are expensive)? That is outrageous.

This is very disappointing! I own 6 Dooney bags and I really wanted to add the HM bag to my collection...no way after these issues...

Please forgive this question, but I'm confused. Do I understand that Disney is refusing a refund because it's been over 30 days? We returned a pricey ($75) shirt to the shop at OKW and it was well over 4 months after purchase. We received a store credit with no problem, which was fine with me. Is the refusal due to the purchase price (I know Dooneys are expensive)? That is outrageous.

I'm not sure if the OP told the staff at the store (in park) that she got it online or not. Kidclarke is you could please tell us exactly how your exchange went it would help others know. But the parks and disneystore.com are 2 different entities I'm told. If bought online you have to go though DS.com for help. Parks Merch will not help you - I've tried several times.

How did you buy the bag? If it was a credit card, the card company may offer some kind of purchaser protection.

Bag was a gift, so that's probably why I am having a harder time then those with receipts (but it seems everyone is having no luck!). Still, I have the warranty card for the bag, so no receipt should not be a problem when it comes to warranty.

In the future I will definitely use my credit card for buying merchanise from Disney just in case.

Here's the whole process I have been trying to take to return the bag for credit:
I first sent the bag to Dooney because I figured it had been past the 30 days and it made more sense to use the 1 year warranty because it was just poorly made. I sent it into Dooney's address located on their website along with the needed info. I waited for 2 weeks after my bag arrived there (shipped it via tracking) and I never heard anything so I called. They told me that the bag was on the way back to me because they couldn't fix/replace it and that I would receive a letter in the mail. I get the bag back a few days later with no letter so I email them and tell them I haven't gotten a letter. They tell me the letter should be with the bag. It wasn't so they finally emailed me a copy of the letter. The letter says to return to the disney store for full credit. The group I'm apart of says Disney Store doesn't take back Dooneys (I know mine was bought in the park) so I figure I will go to World of Disney. Went there along with the Dooney letter and they all seemed confused and had never even heard of the HM bag chipping (or so they made it seem). They told me it was past the 30 days and they couldn't take it back because they never sold that bag to begin with (pretty sure I know people that bought the bag from there, but whatever). They told me to try and call Guest Services. I call Guest Services and the rudest CM you'll ever talk to answers (not just saying this because I was mad, she was super rude and I wasn't being rude at all even though I was mad). She tells me to send it to Dooney and I explain to her I already did. Then she tells me I better just enjoy the bag because there's nothing I can do. Wish I would have got her name to report her but I was so furious I hung up before I said some not so nice things. Anyways, I call again to try and talk to another CM. Thankfully I talk to someone else and explain to them what happened and he tells me they were told by management to refer guest to Dooney's Customer Service regarding the HM Bags. I called them but all they told me was to send my bag in even though I explained I already did that. So I email them and tell them Disney won't return for full credit. I never get emailed/called back, ever. After countless emails/calls, nothing. Finally I started blasting them on twitter, instagram, and facebook.

Most recent update (this happened Tuesday May 12th): They finally responded to a facebook comment with the "blah blah we're sorry" stuff and asked me to send them my contact info. About an hour after sending it, I get a call from Dooney's Guest Services. She tells me they're sorry and that they'll send me a shipping label for me to send my bag to them (I mentioned that I had sent it to them once before and never even got my money back for shipping). She says they are in the process of making new bags and will be able to send my replacement in 6 weeks. The next day I received a UPS shipping label from Dooney via email, I sent my bag out to them Friday (cost me $7.00 for the box from the UPS store when I could ship for less via USPS, but it's whatever at this point). According to the tracking, the bag should arrive there Thursday May 21st.

After everything they have put me through, I honestly don't know if I believe they will actually be sending a new bag in 6 weeks or if this is a way to get rid of a bag and force Dooney store credit on me like I've seen happen with some people.

Having to go through all of this just to get a warranty honored is ridiculous. Shame on Disney and Dooney, disappointment doesn't even begin to cover it.

Last edited:
I didn't take the time to read this whole thread but thought I'd report that I received my replacement bag today. The bottom has piping around it and the corners are reinforced with black leather (I think). Looks like it will hold up better. Although it was a hassle I'm happy to have the bag. I love it!

I'm not a Dooney & Burke fan but love the subtle design. (hidden mickey-esque) It was given to me as a gift for helping a friend plan a couple of trips. :sail:

I didn't take the time to read this whole thread but thought I'd report that I received my replacement bag today. The bottom has piping around it and the corners are reinforced with black leather (I think). Looks like it will hold up better. Although it was a hassle I'm happy to have the bag. I love it!

I'm not a Dooney & Burke fan but love the subtle design. (hidden mickey-esque) It was given to me as a gift for helping a friend plan a couple of trips. :sail:
Did you go through Disney or Dooney to get the replacement bag? I'm thinking about trying to just return it without the receipt since I obviously don't have it anymore on my trip in September and get a merchandise credit. I'd put it towards something else like the new princess Dooney.

Did you go through Disney or Dooney to get the replacement bag? I'm thinking about trying to just return it without the receipt since I obviously don't have it anymore on my trip in September and get a merchandise credit. I'd put it towards something else like the new princess Dooney.

It was a crazy process. 1st Dooney told me to send the bag in. After I sent it in they sent me a letter (A letter? Hello, its 2015 not 1975!) telling me that they couldn't fix it and asked what I'd like them to do with the bag. (Ummm... what are my choices?) I finally told them to ship it back to me so I could return it in October when we go back for a merchandise credit. After several week I receive another letter offering a Dooney & Burke merchandise credit. As I've said I'm not a fan of Dooney and Burke and based on this experience I doubt I will ever buy one again. So, I called them and told them this in a nice, tactful manner. The person I spoke to told me that they would send the bag back and I could then return it to any Disney Store. This didn't seem right so I called my local Disney Store. They said they couldn't return it because they don't sell Disney Park Merchandise. They gave me a Disney phone number to call. I called Disney was transferred 3 times and then was told they were putting my name on a list. When new bags arrived at Disney in the Fall they would contact me to make arrangements the send them the defective one and get a new one. (or I could just get a Disney merchandise credit now) After a few week of thinking about it I called Disney back for the merchandise credit. Of course, the person I spoke to didn't know anything about a list but said that Dooney would be shipping out replacement bags 6-10 weeks. I contacted Dooney and they confirmed this. (no notification about this change at all, I guess their letter writer was tired) I think there were a few more calls in there but I lost track.

I would never spend $198 on a purse in the first place and this just reinforces for me that there are very few situations where paying extra for a label is worth it. (Dansko, Born, Eddie Bauer....)

Good luck to those who are still trying to work this out. The new bag does look better. :bored:

Yes I'm waiting to get my new one too. I just sent my LC in last week. Same experience as above w/ numerous calls and emails back and forth, no one taking blame or action. I finally blasted on social media and got a few replies from Disney that never manifested inot anything but more "sorry" and being brushed off. I vocalized my extreme displeasure on the D&B facebook about poor product and customer service. I was told to message my complaints on their FB message option (mind you I'd already gotten several letters as above and the 'too bad so sad' attitudes but i did it anyway. I got a phone call the same day from a D&B supervisor and emailed me a ups label and I would be sent a new bag. I just mailed it last week.

Mine was purchased from DS.com and they have been the worst at getting through to anyone. Basically past the return time..here's a $10 gift card for your trouble...WTH. Seems people are now having good luck returning the defective bags at or through Disney Parks Merch if you purchased at the parks. I even heard several ladies say they got it as a gift and Parks Merch is helping them out.

This has only been for the LEtter Carrier style and maybe anything they have currently in the parks. No Smith or Satchel styles have been re-released. Just the updated corner styles of the LC, Pouchette, tote.

It was a crazy process. 1st Dooney told me to send the bag in. After I sent it in they sent me a letter (A letter? Hello, its 2015 not 1975!) telling me that they couldn't fix it and asked what I'd like them to do with the bag. (Ummm... what are my choices?) I finally told them to ship it back to me so I could return it in October when we go back for a merchandise credit. After several week I receive another letter offering a Dooney & Burke merchandise credit. As I've said I'm not a fan of Dooney and Burke and based on this experience I doubt I will ever buy one again. So, I called them and told them this in a nice, tactful manner. The person I spoke to told me that they would send the bag back and I could then return it to any Disney Store. This didn't seem right so I called my local Disney Store. They said they couldn't return it because they don't sell Disney Park Merchandise. They gave me a Disney phone number to call. I called Disney was transferred 3 times and then was told they were putting my name on a list. When new bags arrived at Disney in the Fall they would contact me to make arrangements the send them the defective one and get a new one. (or I could just get a Disney merchandise credit now) After a few week of thinking about it I called Disney back for the merchandise credit. Of course, the person I spoke to didn't know anything about a list but said that Dooney would be shipping out replacement bags 6-10 weeks. I contacted Dooney and they confirmed this. (no notification about this change at all, I guess their letter writer was tired) I think there were a few more calls in there but I lost track.

I would never spend $198 on a purse in the first place and this just reinforces for me that there are very few situations where paying extra for a label is worth it. (Dansko, Born, Eddie Bauer....)

Good luck to those who are still trying to work this out. The new bag does look better. :bored:
Oh jeez. I am so sorry to hear about that. This is not worth the run around. As long as they will give me merchandise credit in September, I'll just put it towards the new princess bag if it's there. I never buy designer bags because I too think they're not worth the money, but I love the Haunted Mansion so my husband bought it for me on our Disneymoon. It was our one big souvenir purchase. I'm glad you got the replacement though! I saw pictures and they look better! Which number did you call to get in touch with a Disney rep?

YAD&BBT.

(yet another dooney & burke bag thread)

I tend to skip threads that don't pertain to my interest. A lot of people had problems with a product Disney sold and was purchased at the parks. Just trying to share our experience.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Seems like the community board would be a more appropriate place to discuss faulty merchandise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter