Haunted mansion do they ever use the 'ageing portrait' room

littlelaura

If theres no chocolate in heaven, i aint going!
in all the times i've been on HM, i can only ever remember seeing the ageing portrait room used once (the one before the stretching room). i know you can see the portrait age (quickly) as you walk past on your way into the stretching room, but in the past, i remember being locked in the room as a creepy voice told a story, and the man (mr Gracy?) slowly aged before your eyes. Do they ever still use it in this way?

I've never been and NOT seen it. Perhaps you have a habit of coming in at the back of the group and just don't get to see it all?

I've never been and NOT seen it. Perhaps you have a habit of coming in at the back of the group and just don't get to see it all?

i dont know if its because we usually go during slower periods. when we've been locked outside of the big doors, by the statue with moving eyes, we've always gone straight through to the streching room when the doors open, and just end up walking by the portrait (on many occasions).

in all the times i've been on HM, i can only ever remember seeing the ageing portrait room used once (the one before the stretching room). i know you can see the portrait age (quickly) as you walk past on your way into the stretching room, but in the past, i remember being locked in the room as a creepy voice told a story, and the man (mr Gracy?) slowly aged before your eyes. Do they ever still use it in this way?

I have seen it when using the handicapped entrance. Sometimes they use it and sometimes they don't.

I've experienced both with and without the aging portrait over the years. I could be wrong but my perception was that, when it's more crowded, they don't wait until everyone's in to close the door and begin the aging process. In fact, there are times when I think they omitted the portrait (along with the narration) altogether and just herded everyone into the stretching room.

I have no idea what you are talking about! I thought the stretching room was the first thing that you came to. Guess I'll have to pay better attention next time. What exactly am I looking for? :rolleyes:

I've seen it many times but, unfortunately, I don't remember exactly where it's located. My first thought is that it is in the waiting area after the "shrinking room" while you wait to ride the Doombuggy.

I've seen it many times but, unfortunately, I don't remember exactly where it's located. My first thought is that it is in the waiting area after the "shrinking room" while you wait to ride the Doombuggy.

It's the very first inside-the-house room that you enter from outside the building.

It has a "burning" fireplace and, above the mantle, an aging "Dorian Gray-type" painting.

It's been years since I"ve seen this. I haven't seen it since the last time I went at Christmas time. I forgot it was there. During my most recent visits mid October, very early May, and early February it hasn't been shown.

I have no idea what you are talking about! I thought the stretching room was the first thing that you came to. Guess I'll have to pay better attention next time. What exactly am I looking for? :rolleyes:
It's actually the pre-show, in the foyer before you enter the stretching room. It's the introduction to the back story, beginning with the famous lines, "Welcome, foolish mortals. I am your host ... your ghost host!" During it, the portrait over the fireplace ages.

The spiel in the stretching room starts with, "Our tour begins here ..." What tour? Who's talking? IMO, cutting the pre-show seriously compromises the flow of the story.

I was told once that it was due to reduced staffing, but eliminating it probably also increases the throughput of the attraction, since the entrance doors would need to remain closed longer between cycles.

In all my years going, I do NOT remember this! The first place we walked into was always just the stretch room. :confused3 hmmm... it'd be interesting to see if they bring it back now that they've refurbed the queue. Does anyone have pics or a youtube vid they can show?

in all the times i've been on HM, i can only ever remember seeing the ageing portrait room used once (the one before the stretching room). What do you mean? It's always used. You probably get into the back, so it's already aged. I have had times where it was already aged i know you can see the portrait age (quickly) as you walk past on your way into the stretching room, but in the past, i remember being locked in the room as a creepy voice told a story You're thinking of the portrait chamber. The foyer is actually the preshow. The only HM where the story "starts" is in the Disneyland Paris version., and the man (mr Gracy?Actually, he's the Ghost Host. He is also the man hanging from the rafters in the portrait chamber.) slowly aged before your eyes. Do they ever still use it in this way? As far as I know, it's only been changed in the 2007 update from still images to becoming a digital effect. What do you mean?

My comments are in bold.

I know what your talking about and I have seen this though I can't recall if they did it last time I was there just that during the past three trips I recall seeing this intro with the aging painting when you first walk in and yes they do start moving you quickly into the stretching room so I don't think alot of ppl are aware it has even happened;)

I was told there are other secrets about the HM to check out. Something about pictures singing after you leave the stretching room. Is that true?

Are you referring to the portrait that changes from a man into a skeleton?

yes thats the one, in the foyer before the stretching room. whilst i have seen the picture ageing as you walk past into the stretching room, i have only seen it used once as a pre-show with both sets of doors closed and the narration running

huh...I don't think I've ever remember seeing this...I think I just only go in the slow season because we've been the first group to enter that room but after maybe a minute as they keep bringing people in the doors to the stretching room open and we just go in there. Sometimes we're the first people through and the stretching room doors are already open

I have seen it MANY times.We did see it 2x on our trip the week before Christmas, but before that I hadn't seen it in awhile

thanks for all the replies. DH has never seen it (and he's been coming to WDW with me since 2000), so i wanted to know if that part of the attraction had been retired or was just used during busy times,

They must only use the room every now and again. On our last visit my mum and dad got the stay in that room before the Stretching Room - I was gutted that I missed it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter