• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hate rollercoaster but I am ok on Star Tours will I like Spiderman?

discorsner

DIS Veteran
Absolutely hate rollercoasters, even mild one like Big Thunder Mountain scare me. I hate the dropping motion.

I do ok on things like Star Tours or Soarin becuase even though on Star Tours it mimics dropping I'm ok with it because I know we aren't.

I don't even like the little drop on Pirates of the Caribbean but I go on it and I'm ok.

How will I survive Spiderman? Is there any physical rollercoaster movements with the vehicles are the simulated drops more convincing and scarier than something like star tours?

Thanks for any advice.

Absolutely hate rollercoasters, even mild one like Big Thunder Mountain scare me. I hate the dropping motion.

I do ok on things like Star Tours or Soarin becuase even though on Star Tours it mimics dropping I'm ok with it because I know we aren't.

I don't even like the little drop on Pirates of the Caribbean but I go on it and I'm ok.

How will I survive Spiderman? Is there any physical rollercoaster movements with the vehicles are the simulated drops more convincing and scarier than something like star tours?

Thanks for any advice.

Spiderman combines motion with simulation, and although it doesn't move fast, the movement does increase the sensation. There is one simulated drop that, from what you're describing, might be a little much for you. Just my opinion.

I agree with pp, the Spiderman ride's drop really gets you. I felt a little woozy on it just from the disorientation. And it's revamped in hi-def, I don't know if that would make it better or worse. Ask an attendant when you get there what their opinion is, maybe they can give you a little more insight.

If I may same I am exactly like you. Im have a hard time with the drop at PoC, but Spiderman I quite enjoy. It is a simulated drop but I'm good with it and prefer it over Star Tours.

The simulated drop on Spiderman is MUCH more convincing than a simulated drop you get on Star Tours. (It's probably the fact it's not just a single screen in front of you, but multiple buildings surrounding you).

That being said.... I say go ride it. If the simulated drop starts to become too much for you, close your eyes. With the removal of the visual input, you'll probably be able to adjust enough to realize you aren't falling but moving horizontally.

Basically, Spiderman is a dark ride that moves across a level track moving you from scene to scene. The ride vehicle has the ability to rock and tilt a bit on it's platform (and swivel) as it moves around the track.

I also do not like roller coasters, but i love Spiderman. It is a simulated drop, so all you have to do is close your eyes. The vehicle isn't actually dropping, so I think you can do it and will be fine.:cheer2:

As the pp said, just close your eyes, the ride itself is not bad all.

I get motion sickness but I'm fine on Spiderman (its a favorite) I just close my eyes on some of the screens if I haven't taken anything for the ms.

The simulated drop doesn't give you that feeling in the pit of your stomach like I think you are not fond of. I think you'll be fine.

I am also like you and hate all coasters. I ride star tours but not Soarin, but I really like Spiderman and can't wait to see the hi def upgrades next month. Give it a try. The worst you have to do is close your eyes.

If you survived Star Tours you'll be fine on Spidey. In fact, Star Tours is more ntense IMO.

Its got some spinning so if your prone to that be aware. Drops a little bit more, but not like a Doom Drop at all. Great ride!!!!
I recommend Dramamine for the entire day. Most rides at Universal have a little spin component. So don't let that ruin an otherwise world class state of the art park:-)

Its got some spinning so if your prone to that be aware. Drops a little bit more, but not like a Doom Drop at all. Great ride!!!!
I recommend Dramamine for the entire day. Most rides at Universal have a little spin component. So don't let that ruin an otherwise world class state of the art park:-)

The actual Drop on Spiderman would be the equivalent of you raising your chair at your desk to it's highest point, and then hitting the release valve to drop it back it it's lowest point.

The Spiderman vehicles don't have a lot of upward movement on their own, and I believe the ride layout itself is relatively flat. (I can't say for certain, but I THINK there may be a slight incline around the statue of liberty scene, but it's no steeper than most wheelchair ramps and not taken at any sort of speed.)

The actual Drop on Spiderman would be the equivalent of you raising your chair at your desk to it's highest point, and then hitting the release valve to drop it back it it's lowest point.

The Spiderman vehicles don't have a lot of upward movement on their own, and I believe the ride layout itself is relatively flat. (I can't say for certain, but I THINK there may be a slight incline around the statue of liberty scene, but it's no steeper than most wheelchair ramps and not taken at any sort of speed.)

The track is all flat.

I just got back from USF/IOA with an Aspie who can't handle roller coasters and quizzed me mercilessly on what each ride did as we were in line (TG for smartphones with kindle apps).

He LOVED Spiderman. In his words "I don't like the going fast part Mom. The ride part is what's fun." If this is you, you definitely want to ride Spidie.

Go for it! I hate the losing your stomach feeling on rollercoasters, but Spiderman doesn't give me that feeling, its all simulated, but simulated very well.

This sounds right up DS' alley. He too hates the drops on coasters. I'm talking him into Rock n Roller Coaster on our next trip because I don't recall much in the way of a drop. We watched lots of videos of the ride and he's willing to give it a shot. He does love Big Thunder, so can tolerate mild drops.

I'm curious - is Forbidden Journey like Spidey too with no drops?

To take this topic a step further, would someone who hates rollercoasters but likes Star Tours be okay on the Mummy, or does that one cross the line into coaster territory?

This sounds right up DS' alley. He too hates the drops on coasters. I'm talking him into Rock n Roller Coaster on our next trip because I don't recall much in the way of a drop. We watched lots of videos of the ride and he's willing to give it a shot. He does love Big Thunder, so can tolerate mild drops.

I thought FJ was more intense and I felt the drops even though I had my eyes closed through a good part of it. No way my Aspie could have handled FJ.

To take this topic a step further, would someone who hates rollercoasters but likes Star Tours be okay on the Mummy, or does that one cross the line into coaster territory?
Well...the Mummy is part coaster but there are no inversions on the coaster part. Only speed and some small hills. There is one drop towards the end that might be a little scary for someone who doesn't like coasters but nothing bad at all. Revenge of the Mummy is an amazing attraction so if you think you could do it I strongly recommend it.

There is quite a big drop in the RNRC.... and it's hard to miss it when you are looking at it. As you leave the station, You pretty much go straight up, over a hill, and then down into the loop. Even though you don't get inverted on the loop since you swing to the outside and top of the loop, You still have the big drop to get to the top of the loop, and then another from the top of the loop back down into the rest of the coaster.

Oh... and as for FJ.... it is much more intense than Spidey. While the ride track itself is still flat like Spidey, the vehicle itself has a LOT more freedom of movement. If you've seen the "sum of all thrills" rollercoaster sim at Innoventions at EPCOT, Picture one of those robot arms, moving along the track, with a 4 seater bench attached... and you've pretty much got the ride vehicle of FJ. It will throw you around a bit during the ride.

The Mummy is definately part coaster. It's not a simulator like Star Tours or Spiderman.

that being said, From a coaster standpoint, it's not much worse than Big Thunder. There is one spot with a quick drop before going in some turns that I've occasionally felt a quick "left my stomach up there" feeling, but ultimately isn't not that scary or intense of a coaster and is probably worth experiencing at least once due to the really awesome theming and dark-ride elements. (Honestly, I usually feel more "thrown around" by the coaster when it makes the stops in the mid-ride show scene and at the end than during the actual ride itself.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter