• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has tipping gone too far? Check this out.

AlexandNessa

<font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=green
Honestly, here I am just buying my new SIL some biking socks online for her Christmakuh stocking, and I'm already to check out and pay up when I see this:

"Tips for the Shipping Crew (The Shipping Crew Pick, Pack & Ship Orders) Tip Amt $5.00 Tip $3.00 Tip $1.00 Tip
Monica, one of the Shipping Crew (they're all Working Moms) suggested a tip cup on the Counter (or in this case the website). The owners said sure because THEY DO all the hard work...
If a Customer wants to tip Great!
[A few people do not understand the tip cup and call to complain but please if you don't want to tip THAT'S FINE. The tip cup is for the people who know what it's like to work hard and raise a family. It makes the shipping girls VERY HAPPY and IT HELPS THEM!]"

Now, I thought, since when are the shipping crew at on online agency a tipped position? I thought, would I get better biking socks if I tipped? But is it right to tip shippers? I mean, the website says I don't have to? But for real.... tip the shippers?

Don't get me wrong, we are generous tippers to those who we expect to tip -- mousekeeping, waitresses, bellhops. But shippers for an online agency? I appreciate that they're working moms, but DH and I work hard too to pay wicked high property taxes in NJ, and we don't have a tip cup out for our job.

What do you think? Am I the only one taken a little aback by this? Or, really, should we just tip everyone these days?

If I type an answer, will you tip me? I'm a SAHM, not working right now so I can raise my two year old. I'll send you my paypal address. :goodvibes

I tip waitresses, the lady who cuts my hair, cab drivers, people who handle my luggage ..... and the pizza delivery guy. That is it. EVERYBODY I know works pretty hard at their job, that doesn't make their job a "tipped position."

I won't even tip at the Starbucks window.

I don't tip at Dunkin Donuts for coffee since i discovered that they make way more that minimum wage ( at least at the one near me ) and I also don't tip at the local coffee shop same reason as above, They are not working for the same hourly wage that waitresses are.

Wow...I agree....that is going too far. I expect you all to tip me now, since I have spent the time to type this response to the thread. It is not mandatory...but will make me very happy :cool1:

I will now expect my kids to tip me everytime I wash their clothes, cook, drive them to a feinds.....you know what...I take that back....this tipping thing can really help me out with my finances now!!! :rotfl:

Thanks for the responses! Glad to hear I wasn't the only one a little taken by surprise on this one!

To take it a little further, would you have actually gone and ordered from this site? I was a little "weirded out," and didn't wind up ordering. I thought I'd get all the bum socks since the shippers were the ones who picked them.

I would write an email specifically mentioning that you did not order because of that. The owner of that place needs to hear that

The tip cup is for the people who know what it's like to work hard and raise a family. It makes the shipping girls VERY HAPPY and IT HELPS THEM! said:

Let's see... I'm a SAHM who has gone back to college and I'm raising 3 kids. I work dang hard everyday and I've yet to see a tip and I'm not holding my breath for one. :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: I think I'll have to stop by the closest "pack and ship" store and NOT give them a tip. Hey, maybe I'll tell them how hard I work, they will understand and give ME a tip. :rolleyes1

So, I guess this whole tip jar thing has become a way to supplement their income. :rolleyes: I'm soooooo tired of people thinking that because you have more $ than they do, then you should share it with them. One thing is to donate to charity, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about friends or family that will tell you that you should be the one paying for dinner since your income is higher than theirs. :badpc: :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

I think tipping has totally gotten out of control and this takes the cake. I know that it says you don't have to, but I think it is in poor taste to ask for tips for a position like that. When I tip I am generous as a rule, but it really irks me at some of the places that these tip jars (or in this case virtual tip jars) are appearing. But I suppose they keep cropping up because there are others out there who enable them.

Dang.. I should make one of those pop up on the DIS...enjoying our boards? Tip the webmasters!

There was poster a while back that wrote about her experience when she went to purchase a gift card at Friday's, I think that was the place. The cashier rang up the gc and then highlighted the tip area on the credit card receipt. :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Yeah, that's pathetic. And no, I wouldn't have ordered from them either.

WebmasterAlex said:
Dang.. I should make one of those pop up on the DIS...enjoying our boards? Tip the webmasters!
LOl, you should do it on April 1st!

Well if they can get a tip, how about teachers? I'll out a tip cup on my desk and see what happens. LOL!

mbw12 said:
.....you know what...I take that back....this tipping thing can really help me out with my finances now!!! :rotfl:
Yeah like paying your maint. fees for DVC!! :rotfl:

I agree too. I am so tired of seeing tip jars everywhere. And now that they are everywhere, people are adding their "sob story" to them to encourage you to tip or make you feel guilty if you don't. I was at a street fair recently and several of the venders had tip cups out with signs like "For our honeymoon"..."two kids in college"...unbelievable.

After college I worked as a waitress in a state where waiters were paid less than minimum wage. I don't remember the specifics anymore as it was 10 years ago but minimun wage was like $4.25 and a starting waitress could be paid $3.15. So, I am always a big tipper with wait staff that does at least a competent job and they'd have to be pretty bad to get less than 15%.

Yes, tipping has gotten out of control, but primarily because many people "reward" those who put out tip cups (or even buckets :confused3 ) by tossing in a "contribution." Maybe society will start to rein in this absurd practice when tip cups start appearing in McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's... especially at the drive-thru windows! As long as people continue to reward such behavior, it will continue to proliferate. :rolleyes:

WebmasterAlex said:
I would write an email specifically mentioning that you did not order because of that. The owner of that place needs to hear that

Alex beat me to it. These are my thoughts exactly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter