Has this Mommy made an error??

mistybroussard

Earning My Ears
I am 171 days out from our trip..ADRs made...two rooms booked at the POFQ for me, my DH, DMIL and DD5 and DD3. We chose POFQ because we could not afford a deluxe - but I did not want a value stay for our first trip. I have been reading tips from a website I just found for first visits and they recommend either the Poly or the Pop for the first visit. They DO NOT recommend a moderate due to the lack of Kid friendly theming. Am I going to regret going with POFQ? Am I going to feel like my girls are missing out - or should I stop overthinking this?:confused3

Stop reading! Seriously, you're over thinking it. POFQ is a beautiful resort and one of our favorites. You don't have to either go value or deluxe. Your choice is perfect and you'll have a wonderful trip!

I am 171 days out from our trip..ADRs made...two rooms booked at the POFQ for me, my DH, DMIL and DD5 and DD3. We chose POFQ because we could not afford a deluxe - but I did not want a value stay for our first trip. I have been reading tips from a website I just found for first visits and they recommend either the Poly or the Pop for the first visit. They DO NOT recommend a moderate due to the lack of Kid friendly theming. Am I going to regret going with POFQ? Am I going to feel like my girls are missing out - or should I stop overthinking this?:confused3

IMO, you are probably over thinking it. I have never stayed at POFQ, but it's on the list of ones we want to try. I think it has a great theme. You could tell your girls that Ariel's dad is in the pool!! Those little alligators everywhere are so cute, I think it's great!!! FWIW, Pop is a great resort too, but if I were to chose a value for someone's first visit I would chose All Star Movies or AoA! Both are so in your face Disney, it's fantastic!! 2 rooms at the Poly will cost you a pretty penny, unless you want DMIL sharing a room with you...it does accommodate 5. I think you'll be fine with POFQ. :goodvibes

Stop reading! Seriously, you're over thinking it. POFQ is a beautiful resort and one of our favorites. You don't have to either go value or deluxe. You're choice is perfect and you'll have a wonderful trip!

Agree! and who are "they" you're speaking of? You picked my favorite moderate resort! It is a very lovely and quaint resort. The pool is very kid friendly. You said, "We chose POFQ because we could not afford a deluxe - but I did not want a value stay for our first trip." It's not value, nor deluxe. :)
Your family will have a wonderful time no matter where you stay.

We stayed at POFQ last year. It had games every day in the pool for kids that the life guard played, relays, disney trivia etc...., a giant movie screen each night in the lawn played Disney movies... I do not think you will be disappointed at all. My kids are older but each night would sit on the lawn with their father and watch the movie and have a blast!!!! So many young families stay there because it is a small resort so not a lot of walking to the room after a long day in the parks with little ones.

After several trips this is what I can share-

You are taking your kids to DISNEYWORLD! The happiest place on Earth! They are going to be excited about staying in a hotel- and swimming-even if you have a pool.

Everything does not have to be geared to them- POFQ is beautiful- as all the moderates are. Plus it has a pool slide.

We as parents enjoyed CBR so much more then Pop. Enjoy your vacation and do not feel guilty about doing some meals or activites for adults!

Stop reading! Seriously, you're over thinking it. POFQ is a beautiful resort and one of our favorites. You don't have to either go value or deluxe. Your choice is perfect and you'll have a wonderful trip!

:thumbsup2
perfectly said.
It is a beautiful resort, with great options too...a food court, great kids pool, the boat to Downtown Disney (a lovely ride for an evening to take everyone to either downtown or even to Port Orleans Riverside, sister resort where you can also use their main pool Great by the way). The themeing at POFQ is great IMHO, the pool area lends itself to great pix too....
You will have a great time and chose really well ...Have a great time making memories with your family...But be prepared......

You are going to want to return there again and again...:rotfl:

When I was growing up, we stayed in condos off property. There was no "kid-friendly theming" to speak of and I still caught the Disney bug.

There's a reason why Disney has created so many hotel options. If everyone liked the same thing, they could get away with a single theme throughout the entire property. It would save them a lot of time and money.

No, POFQ doesn't have blown up icons next to your door like Pop Century, or monorail access like the Polynesian, but I doubt your kids will care.
Remember, ignorance is bliss. They have no idea that the other places are even an option. Most kids are happy in any hotel as long as there's a pool. Pick the resort YOU want and your kids will love it as much as you do.

You are going to LOVE LOVE LOVE the POFQ! We took our nieces for their first WDW trip ever and stayed at the POFQ and the second time we took them we stayed at the Poly but this was different times of the year. For POFQ it was Oct and the deluxe rates were nuts but in January the rates were super cheap.

The first trip they could have cared less about the resort for many reasons. They had info overload with all there was to see and do and by the time we got back to the room at night they were too exhausted to swim. They were younger, 3 and 9, and they didnt care or know to care about themeing.

The second trip they were older, 6 and 12, and they were beyond excited about the Poly. Could be because we drove up late at night and the tiki torches were lit, they were greeted with many Aloha's and leis and the lobby was empty so they had the tv area to themselves while we checked in. The beach was a huge hit with them but as was the zero entry pool. Since it was so cold in January we spent alot more time at the resort. I thought they would think it cool to have the monorail right out front but they actually missed the buses!

The POFQ is our fave resort because of how small, quiet, relaxing and convenient it is. The food court is never a madhouse and has many great choices, the pool is never packed with people, your kids will love the slide, the buses are great and the location is perfect.

Do not worry about picking the "wrong" resort, you are in WDW for goodness sake!

Looking at the ages of your children you are going to have one MAJOR advantage by staying at POFQ: less walking for those little legs! You also only have one bus stop :thumbsup2, the pool is GREAT, you can take them on the boat to POR and use the pools there, they will see the horse and carriage around the resort (kids love this), there are movies in the evenings, games every day at the pool .....

We are going back to POFQ for the third time. My DD was 8 the first time we stayed there and it's the only place she wants to go just now! You will be fine!

POFQ is one of my favorites. My daughter loved the pool. It's smaller than the other resorts, but that's one of the reasons I love it so much. It just feels cozy and don't worry about the theming. With the fountains, the pool's slide, the "street" you walk on to get to your rooms, the horse-drawn carriages that come by periodically... the place just oozes of awesomeness.

I think it's perfect for your situation. Has all the magic but only a portion of the size so it's much less overwhelming for first time visit.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I 1000% agree....you are reading the opinions of a few people. We personally LOVE POFQ, it is our favorite moderate resort. Your kids will love the Serpent Slide at the pool, the ferry that takes you to DTD and back, there are also cute alligator statues going from the main building leading to the pool each with different instruments (makes for great photos). If you wanted to, you can take a very nice walk along the river over to POR and use their amenities too since POR and POFQ are sister resorts. I really don't think your kids are going to care one way or another where your family is staying just as long as they are in WDW :goodvibes. Have a wonderful first trip and please stop stressing over what others are saying.

Thank so much! Just needed to hear it from some Disney experts! I really wanted to do Poly - BUT since I'm springing for two rooms (cause DH and DMIL snore - and I need to make sure we all return ALIVE!!!) - I just could not justify the price of a small car for a trip. In my mind I keep saying "We will do Poly in a few years when the kids are older and we only need one room"....I love the though of sitting on the grass and watching a movie! We may even let MIL babysit that night...lol I appreciate the positive thoughts!

Our kids L.O.V.E.D. their first visit and staing at POFQ. My son does call the fc the "creepy" restaurant. But I'll tell you what made the difference, being at Disney World with their parents and grandparents. Don't worry about it

Are you kidding? This is not kid friendly?

fqpool.jpg

They have movies by the pool in the evenings, pool activities all day long, marshmallow roasting etc. If you hop over to POR you can watch Yehaa Bob, who everyone says is amazing (I'll find out in March). And the mods also have hot tubs in the pool area, a sit down restaurant and a little more space in the rooms. I wouldn't discourage anyone from staying in a value if that's what they like, but I love the mods and plan on staying at all of them before trying a value or a deluxe.

Are you kidding? This is not kid friendly?

fqpool.jpg

They have movies by the pool in the evenings, pool activities all day long, marshmallow roasting etc. If you hop over to POR you can watch Yehaa Bob, who everyone says is amazing (I'll find out in March). And the mods also have hot tubs in the pool area, a sit down restaurant and a little more space in the rooms. I wouldn't discourage anyone from staying in a value if that's what they like, but I love the mods and plan on staying at all of them before trying a value or a deluxe.

ahhhhh - you had me at "marshmallow roasting"! I heard they did this at WL - did not know they had it here! YUM! I'm feeling better and better about my resort pick! Thanks so much!

I'm pretty sure they do it at all the mods, and they do movies at every resort from what I understand. There are no shortage of kid activities anywhere you stay on property, really.

I started staying at POFQ when my youngest was 4 and have been with grandkids starting at age 2. I think it is the perfect choice!

First time ever stayed at POFQ was in 1997 on my honeymoon. I remember walking by the pool area and saying WOW - Look how awesome that pool is for kids, can't wait till we have our own to bring here!

and many years later, yes, my kids love POFQ. Their first time there they were 5, 5 and 7.
Theming of the resort is nice, grounds are so pretty.
And there is a really nice playground area, too, and arcade.
But certainly can't beat the convenience of the resort and how everything is laid out and a small resort!
Only thing I dislike... I think the rooms are ugly!

My son loves it. We took him at age 6 and 8 and he was extremely happy with the pool, the boat to DTD, everything. I think you will find that your family is very happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter