Has this happened to you?

little bob

Mouseketeer
Okay, the year was 1998 and my wife and I had been married for about 8 months. We were taking our 'honeymoon' to WDW. It was our first trip and we had a magical time (I won't go into details as this is not a trip review but we have been hooked ever since). One day when we were by the bus area at the TTC one of the pay phones started ringing. I decided to answer it. The guy on the phone introduced himself as a DJ of a local radio station and he sounded the part. He told me that they were working on some promos and that I would get two free CD's of my choice if I participated. He then introduced me to his producer that told me how it would work. The producer said that I just needed to give my hotel and room number and that they would deliver my CD's to my hotel the following day. All I had to do was scream at the top of my lungs, "Hey [insert DJ's name], I want two free CD's!" I looked around and saw tons of strangers and I said the the DJ "do you know where I am right now?" and he responded with "yes, you are at the TTC in WDW." I was a little embarrassed but I wanted the CD's so I screamed "HEY [DJ] I WANT TWO FREE CD'S". It was funny and embarrassing at the same time. My wife and all of the strangers around me looked at me like I was crazy and then the DJ yelled something (I forget exactly what he said) like "YOUVE BEEN PUNKED!" and hung up the phone.

Over the years I have wondered if this was something that was common or if I was the lucky 'winner'. Has anyone else experienced this or know of someone that has?

Sounds like a big ol' scam to find out your name, resort and room number.
It screams dodgy to me

Sounds like a big ol' scam to find out your name, resort and room number.
It screams dodgy to me
I've always thought the same thing. I was only 19 at the time and wasn't really on the lookout for things like this. Nothing happened and I can't figure out what one could do with that info.

You're lucky they didn't come to the hotel, find your room, and try to rob you, or something, knowing that you were from out of town, probably carrying some cash and/or valuables, and face it - gullible. Thank God it appears to have been a harmless prank, and nothing happened.

You're lucky they didn't come to the hotel, find your room, and try to rob you, or something, knowing that you were from out of town, probably carrying some cash and/or valuables, and face it - gullible. Thank God it appears to have been a harmless prank, and nothing happened.

Again, I'm not saying that this could not be a scam but I don't think a scenario like this is likely. If they wanted to rob someone why wait at a hotel room that belongs to someone at the TTA that may be coming back now or just starting a trip to a park. If one wanted to rob somebody simply scout out an area of a hotel that is 'hidden in the back' and wait for the first person. Almost all tourist have lots of cash on them.

Any other thoughts? Again, it doesn't really matter at this point but it has always been something that I think about.

I seem to remember hearing about a Tampa/Clearwater DJ who routinely pranked people back in thr 90s and may still be around today. Perhaps you were one of his victims?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter