Has the weather ever been too cold to swim at Castaway Cay?

This chart will give you a sense of water and air temperatures on average in the Bahamas. Obviously an individual day can be warmer or cooler than this, Ocean temperatures tend to be more stable than air temps. Many people find water less than 78° too chilly for comfortable swimming.

http://aquacatcruises.com/bahamas-temperatures/

We have gone in November and December and it was too cold for our family. Last year in December, there was real cold weather in the U.S. and I thought it would not affect CC. But all of the shore excursions were cancelled except the sting ray adventure. It was cold and rainy and no one was in the water. I was surprised at how many people were on bikes or were back on the ship.

On our cruise in Jan 2013, it was too cool to be on the beach all day. We had towels over our legs (but no jackets) and only stayed about half the day. Wasn't fun anymore. We went back on the ship and went down the AquaDuck once and shivered ourselves silly. But that WAS fun.

BTW, we're from NH.

we cruised the Fantasy on Jan 12 2013. CC was Day 6 - Jan 18th and the temp ranged from cloud cover all morning low-mid 60's to partly sunny mid afternoon low 70's that day.

Here are a few pics. We live in Jersey and this was great for January.
We were very thankful that our ship docked and really enjoyed the day.

Serenity Bay was breezy. No need for umbrellas. There were 6 people who braved the water.

Family Beach was a little warmer and more active, but if you aren't used to these temps, you'd probably dress similar to this lifeguard.

here's what we wore for our day at the beach! I had my suit on but didn't go for a swim.

Thanksgiving 2013 had pretty crummy weather at Castaway Cay. A storm blew in within 20 minutes of disembarking and it stormed (with probably 30-40 mph winds) for about an hour. After the storm passed, it was still cloudy and windy. I doubt the temperature got above 70 that day. The water temperature actually felt warmer than the air temperature, but I wasn't about to get in the warm water only to freeze when I got out. My son was fine, though... swam in the water and didn't complain a bit. My point is, while the water temperature may be ok for swimming, if the air temperature is cold or the weather is dreary, it might be uncomfortable once you get out of the water.

I didn't do any research on the water temps before we booked our 1st cruise last year. We went in September and the water was very nice and warm. It was almost too warm in the very shallow spots at Serenity. We have two cruises coming up. One in September and one the following April. I'm not worried about the September temp, but a little concerned about the April temp. Can anyone recall the temp of the water in early April?

I went in January 2000 (so long ago!!) and it was FREEZING and windy! We were all wearing clothes,and wrapped ourselves up in multiple towels just to be able to lay out on the beach... we didn't go near the water!

We were there at the end of January this year. Air temp as about 70 and sunny. It was nice to sit out at the beach but the water was too cold for me. Lots of people in the water though. I think it all just depends that time of year. I had packed sweats to wear to the beach just in case it was cold.

If you look on the map Castaway Cay is actually fairly far north. The temperatures are closer to Ft Lauderdale than the Bahamas.

Any weather is better than the weather at home!

A couple of times it has been too cold for me. I am a native Floridian. I don't like anything below 80 for my swimming pleasure!!!

Like pp said, I think it's just relational. When we were there in November last year, it was too chilly for me, but the beach was hot enough to sit out and be perfectly comfortable (we all got some sun that day). There were LOTS of people in the water, though. I'm thinking they may not be from a warmer climate like we are.

I couldn't imagine swimming there in January. We were there in early September and the air was very hot, above 90, but the water was very chilly and refreshing. Not at all what I was expecting!

Having done 3 of 8 DCL cruises in Jan/Feb, twice it has been too cold to even get in the water, and once it was cool but once you got in and got use to the temperature, it was fine.

Well I guess it is what you are used to. We went first of May and to us the water was still cold. We got used to it pretty quickly but when you first get in... Burrr!

We went on our first disney cruise in the beginning of January 2013 and the water was chilly but it was hot. Just to give you an idea of how you can't predict the weather and how quickly it can go from cold to hot.
castaway by cbettua, on Flickr

Oh, my this is a surprise. I thought the water temp at CC is warm all year round!. How is the temps in November? When the water is too cold to enjoy, is it worth it to reserve a cabana? My family is going to CC on Thanksgiving, and we plan to get a cabana.
We went on the Fantasy for Thanksgiving 2013 and it was a nice day, but too cold to get in the water for me or DH. Both kids were in, but it took them a while! FYI we had terrible weather the entire cruise and couldn't even enjoy the pools on deck for 4 out of 7 days.

We went the December after the slides opened and while it was freezing I wasn't going to miss the opportunity to check them out. There were 3 kids and one other adult out there and the life guard laughed at us the whole time. You eventually got used to it but it was rough getting in and back out.

We were there in the first 2 weeks of January this year. The first week we were sunbathing, nice warm weather. But the water was too cold for us to swim, even for our teenagers who love swimming. The second week it was cold, windy, & cold. First time we have left early to go back to the ship. So far too cold to swim then too.

We've found that CC's water temp is always much cooler than the other ports. Our last cruise was the beginning of Oct and while at all of our other ports we happily enjoyed water activities, CC's was too chilly for my taste & that was in Oct! I've only ever been on Oct/Nov DCL cruises & this is always the case for us. I can't imagine it in Jan/Feb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter