Has Disney done anything to recognize Robin Williams' death?

RJP77

Mouseketeer
DVC Silver

In particular I know that when James Garner and Annette Funicello died they at least posted a note to that effect on the Disney Parks Blog. I haven't seen anything similar for Robin.

Did I miss it? Was it on another of their sites? Or are they just avoiding this situation because it was a suicide? If so, that is disappointing. He made significant contributions to the Disney company, and was the heart and soul behind an iconic Disney character.

In particular I know that when James Garner and Annette Funicello died they at least posted a note to that effect on the Disney Parks Blog. I haven't seen anything similar for Robin.

Did I miss it? Was it on another of their sites? Or are they just avoiding this situation because it was a suicide? If so, that is disappointing. He made significant contributions to the Disney company, and was the heart and soul behind an iconic Disney character.

He took his own life I relally don't understand why people want to turn him into some kind of Martry.

I saw a facebook post yesterday from one of their official pages... Maybe the Walt Disney Company? It was a quote from Bob Iger.

He took his own life I relally don't understand why people want to turn him into some kind of Martry.

The circumstances of his death have nothing to do with why he should be recognized. It's the merits of his work while he was alive.

Facebook post + homage from Disney's Aladdin on Broadway, if I recall. Not sure if anything else has been stated.

The flag at DHS was flown at half mast not sure for how long. There was a thread somewhere. I thought it was a nice thing to do. Here's also something else: Very unique and touching

http://www.fox23news.com/Photo.aspx?content_id=9dc8c7c0-7fb4-4d71-a6d7-d346c2df4e67

http://www.fox23news.com/mostpopula...-tribute-to-Robin/wMfInbR_cU2m19NGwt9OZw.cspx

Yes: https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/bl...-company-passing-disney-legend-robin-williams

They are not avoiding the issue because it was suicide.

Tozzie I don't know really know where you think you get off. Does the fact he killed himself make him a bad person? Did he do something wrong? Does that erase the dozens of movies and millions of fans? He didn't kill himself, depression killed him. Get it right.

Disney has announced they will show Aladdin in his honor this weekend on the Disney Channel and Disney XD.

Here's Bob Iger's statement:

"We're deeply saddened by the loss of Robin Williams, a wonderfully gifted man who touched our hearts and never failed to make us laugh. An incredible actor and a comedic genius, Robin will always be remembered for bringing some of the world's favorite characters to life, from his zany alien on ABC's Mork & Mindy to the irascible genie in Disney's Aladdin. He was a true Disney Legend, a beloved member of our family, and he will be sorely missed. We join Robin's friends and fans everywhere in mourning, and offer our thoughts and condolences to his family during this difficult time."

Am I being too sensitive or does it seem crass that he snuck in mentioning that Aladdin is a Disney film (like most people didn't already know?) and Mork and Mindy was on ABC (which Disney didn't even own back then)?

Here's Bob Iger's statement:

"We're deeply saddened by the loss of Robin Williams, a wonderfully gifted man who touched our hearts and never failed to make us laugh. An incredible actor and a comedic genius, Robin will always be remembered for bringing some of the world's favorite characters to life, from his zany alien on ABC's Mork & Mindy to the irascible genie in Disney's Aladdin. He was a true Disney Legend, a beloved member of our family, and he will be sorely missed. We join Robin's friends and fans everywhere in mourning, and offer our thoughts and condolences to his family during this difficult time."

Am I being too sensitive or does it seem crass that he snuck in mentioning that Aladdin is a Disney film (like most people didn't already know?) and Mork and Mindy was on ABC (which Disney didn't even own back then)?

Yes you are reading more into it. Robin was/is a member of the Disney family as a Disney Legend. Nothing sneaky or crass about his words.

Tozzie I don't know really know where you think you get off. Does the fact he killed himself make him a bad person? Did he do something wrong? Does that erase the dozens of movies and millions of fans? He didn't kill himself, depression killed him. Get it right.
This! :thumbsup2 Thank you for saying it so I didn't have to!

Yes you are reading more into it. Robin was/is a member of the Disney family as a Disney Legend. Nothing sneaky or crass about his words.
I agree with this also!

Yeah, when you put in context with the "Disney Legend" comment it makes more sense. Still, Disney had nothing to do with Mork and Mindy.

Yeah, when you put in context with the "Disney Legend" comment it makes more sense. Still, Disney had nothing to do with Mork and Mindy.
No, but it was the iconic role that launched his career, and fits in the context of Mr. Iger's statement. IMHO. ;)

When someone dies of cancer, we acknowledge that the disease took their life. Robin Williams died of depression, it was a disease that took his life.

When someone dies of cancer, we acknowledge that the disease took their life. Robin Williams died of depression, it was a disease that took his life.
THIS is the message that needs to be out there about Depression and Suicide. Thank you for understanding that, I wish more people did. :sad1: :hug:

Disney officially refers to many if not all of their movies as "Disney's X". It distinguishes it from other productions with the same or similar titles.

In addition, the ABC that aired Mork and Mindy is still the ABC that Disney owns today. Just because Disney didn't own it at the time, doesn't mean they can't recognize it. The history still applies.

Seems some just want to find fault with Disney no matter what they do.

I'm guessing you've never been truly depressed in the way he and many, many others have. Consider yourself lucky. You will never understand what sorts of thoughts and emotions, as irrational as they might seem, go through the heads of those who suffer from depression.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter