Has disney crossed the price threshold for most families?

Congrats on the new one on the way!

You have some excellent points here. People always talk about cost and value when it comes to Disney. But that can be said for many decisions we make in our lives. For you, college was expensive, but you took out loans to pay for it, knowing the value down the road would be great. You don't spend $50K every few years on a new car, because you don't see the value in it. The list goes on for all of us. For us, DIsney is still magical and holds great value. Things are currently cut back at Disney (and everywhere) due to the unpredictable world pandemic. We're giving DIsney a little slack at this point in time due to that pandemic - hoping, and and expecting their offerings will get back to more "normal" in the next year or two. If that doesn't happen, we'll evaluate then. For now, we're still planning for and enjoying Disney entertainment at WDW and DL because it makes sense for us.

Thank you so much! Speaking of value, we're hoping to do his first trip before he turns two, so we can take advantage of free tickets AND free flights for him. And its all about the choices you choose to make, right? We don't live large and instead focus on what it is we really want out of our lives (which includes Disney lol).

And I know so many Disboarders only want to stay in deluxe. We do too, but we rent DVC points to be able to do it. (In 2020, DVC points for a standard AKL room was less than CSR and only $200 more than POP.) Part of the fun for us if being able to see how much money we can save and get the most out of it.

Honestly, we've agreed that our 2020 trip was the best one yet. The lines were shorter; the park hours were shorter, so we spent more time in our room, etc. Of course, we want traditional meet-and-greets to come back, but I'm sure they will soon enough!

Eh... so, I think there are two major shifts going on.

The first is how much disposable income a family has. Factor in childcare costs, medical costs, student loan debt, mortgages, home repairs, groceries, cars, cell phone bills, internet bills... Is the income of the average family going up enough to cover these costs increases?

The second is a Disney vacation value relative to another vacation. This depends on vacation styles, family size, and location.

I live in Tennessee. No kids. We’re planning a trip to the Grand Canyon area for one week. The cost is only around $500 less than it would have been to go to Disney World for a week (even without any hotel discounts, but excluding food purchases). The reason? We can drive to Florida. Can’t really say the same for Arizona (not without spending a lot more time in a car). Add in flight and car rental, and even though the activities are nearly free, the cost difference tightens immensely.

So it’s not just if Disney has crossed the price threshold for families, but if other vacations have crossed a price threshold.

I just don't know where the price increases are going to stop. It's getting way out of hand and I don't think this is what Walt intended. I understand it's a business but let's be fair about it. I'm a DVC member and my yearly dues are going up 6 - 10 % every year. It's getting ridiculous. Ready to sell my points.

It has always been expensive. I was fortunate enough to go many times growing up, but my husband’s family could not afford to go when he was a kid. He works hard (we both do) and he takes pride in the fact that we can take our kids to Disney, stay onsite and the whole shebang. We have made many wonderful family memories there.

But I agree with others that the value for the price is just not there. Covid has caused a lot of things to go away that will probably never come back, yet prices keep increasing. It’s losing some magic for me. We have a trip planned next year and we are staying onsite, but we’ll see what it’s like. I am open to staying off-site in the future, even though my H isn’t into that idea. I would personally rather go and stay elsewhere than not go at all.

Ju
We are not planning another trip. When we add in the new fees, the price increases, and the lack of amenities, it doesn't make sense for us anymore. For the same budget we're planning a trip to Paris for our family.

We have loved Disney for over 40 years, but I think we're done going. The systematic stripping the parks/resorts of all the details have created an overpriced atmosphere that leaves us feeling nickeled and dimed.
We do have reservations made months ago and we will keep them. However, I just talked to a Disney "fanatic" friend and they have decided to go to Hawaii instead of Disney next spring. I was shocked. but certainly understand. They have been Dinsey regulars for 15 years.

It is expensive to go every year but I pick and choose what I splurge on. Before I had kids it was New Coach bags, Gucci loafers, hair nail eyebrows, clubs, vegas, ect Once I had kids I fell in Love with WDW and most of my extra income went to yearly August trips and we always looked for good deals and every penny was worth it. Now even though our income has grew into the six digits since we first started going. We are finding it harder to continue to go every year simply because I dont find it worth it to pay what they are asking for. If we do go back I will never do Disney the way I use too with the current price increases.

This is how we feel. Every time we decide to do something else, or stay offsite, I start pricing it out and get close enough to Disney prices to decide I’d still rather do Disney. We are looking at going 10/2022 and I priced air B&B houses A few weeks ago. $100/night sounded great until all the cleaning fees and stuff were added and I realized I could stay at POP for $200 more and that’s without any discounts. We generally spend $5/6k for our family of 4 for 5/7 nights at Disney. Hubby and I taking a cruise in April (I hope) and with shore excursions, we are looking at close to $3500 and that’s just for the 2 of us.
Exactly, everywhere I look the average is 100 a day each... food is always expensive in tourist places.
Hotels have a wide range that central Florida definitely has.
If you are looking for a budget vacation every state or nearby state has some attraction that people go to.

. We’re planning a trip to the Grand Canyon area for one week. The cost is only around $500 less than it would have been to go to Disney World for a week (even without any hotel discounts, but excluding food purchases). The reason? We can drive to Florida. Can’t really say the same for Arizona (not without spending a lot more time in a car). Add in flight and car rental, and even though the activities are nearly free, the cost difference tightens immensely.

So it’s not just if Disney has crossed the price threshold for families, but if other vacations have crossed a price threshold.

You cant compare the 2. If the choices are GC vs Disney at $500 more for a week, Disney is a MUCH better value. For $500 you have many fun things to do and look at. Saving $500 to look a rocks for a week doesnt sound amazing. Maybe a day or 2, but I'd be jumping of one of the cliffs if I was there for a week :rotfl2:

I compare Disney to a cruise or all inclusive resort. Something with activities all day/night and meals included (dining plan). Disney used to be superior for slightly more $$. Now you have to wait an hour+ for 1 good 3 minute ride, flat iron steaks have replaced filet mignon, there is a detour every place you turn adding many miles to your daily walking, resort rooms now resemble your local Marriott Courtyard. New rides replacing classics that are just a bunch of TV screens. CMs that are counting the minutes until they can go home, limited night entertainment (or for $1000 extra dollars your family can stay at the park past 7/9pm. etc...etc..etc... Id rather go on a cruise or to an AI.

You cant compare the 2. If the choices are GC vs Disney at $500 more for a week, Disney is a MUCH better value. For $500 you have many fun things to do and look at. Saving $500 to look a rocks for a week doesnt sound amazing. Maybe a day or 2, but I'd be jumping of one of the cliffs if I was there for a week :rotfl2:

I compare Disney to a cruise or all inclusive resort. Something with activities all day/night and meals included (dining plan). Disney used to be superior for slightly more $$. Now you have to wait an hour+ for 1 good 3 minute ride, flat iron steaks have replaced filet mignon, there is a detour every place you turn adding many miles to your daily walking, resort rooms now resemble your local Marriott Courtyard. New rides replacing classics that are just a bunch of TV screens. CMs that are counting the minutes until they can go home, limited night entertainment (or for $1000 extra dollars your family can stay at the park past 7/9pm. etc...etc..etc... Id rather go on a cruise or to an AI.
Yeah, I guess the important part I left out was that my husband kept pushing it as much cheaper trip compared to Disney, and once I laid it out to him he got pretty quiet. 😂

I’m ok with this trip- I’ve never been, it’s a bucket list item for him, we like trying new things, and besides we already went to Disney World this year so it made sense. (I’m calling it the “Grand Canyon Trip” but there are a few other sites we’re planning to hit up.) Curious how many miles I’ll get in per day. I average 10 miles a day on a theme park trip. The terrain will be much different, so not sure I’ll make it that many miles each day!

I just left my hairdresser who is also a big disney fan. Her family normally goes every year. She just told me that tDisney is crossed off their family list as it has gotten too expensive. I wonder how many others feel the same way. Will Universal Studios be the likely landing place for those who feel disney has become too expensive?
It keeps going up yet people still find a way. The attendance isn’t decreasing, so will they keep increasing prices? I do feel for those who have to make sacrifices to make it work. I hear what you’re saying. Where’s the threshold?

It keeps going up yet people still find a way. The attendance isn’t decreasing, so will they keep increasing prices? I do feel for those who have to make sacrifices to make it work. I hear what you’re saying. Where’s the threshold?
Is this actually true, though? For the first time I can remember, WDW has made headlines for pretty much being a ghost town at the beginning of September.
Whether it's a trend that continues after people get their fill of the 50th anniversary will remain to be seen.

Ghost town 3 weeks ago....

Walked on to Soarin' 3x in a row at 2pm on a Monday. Walked on to everything else in Epcot except Frozen too, including Test Track.

10 minute wait for Splash Mountain at 9:30am on a Friday. 15 for Space Mountain at 11. Parks were DEAD.

Had spaceship earth to myself!

Soarin with maybe 5 other people! This was my 3rd time in a row leaving alone. Other guests stayed on

5pm coming into Epcot from BC....all by myself!

Funny you mentioned a cruise. We are going on a cruise in a few weeks instead of going to WDW.

We had a 10-day trip planned for 12/26-10/6 at BWV on our DVC points. The reservation took 157 points and the dues on that reservation was $1225. We had 2 10-day park passes from an outside company for $1315. We budget about $150 per day on food and beverages or $1500 for the 10 days. Our total cost would have been $4040 for the 10 days including food and beverages, or $404 per day.

Our cruise is $2930 for a club balcony cabin on NCL, or $414 per day. That includes all food and beverages onboard (including alcohol), our prepaid gratuities and excursions at 4 ports. But ... I sold 2 DVC reservations (total of 9 days) and ended up with $2030 after subtracting my dues. So, my week on my cruise will actually cost me $125 per day.

We'll pay, but we'll be looking to save wherever possible. Unless they start piling on amenities, I think the days of staying on-property are gone.

I wouldn't consider Universal as an alternative. I don't just want to be on rides, I can do that at Six Flags or Busch Gardens. I want Disney.

We are also DVC members and we paid cash for our contracts, one over 20 years ago. Our only resort expense is our dues and we can stay at WDW for less than $1,000 per week in a studio in a deluxe resort. We rub elbows with people who are paying $2500+ a week for a smaller room. We don't buy souvenirs and we rarely eat at TS restaurants. As a general rule, we don't pay for extra upcharges. We don't do after hour parties or dessert parties (with the exception on the MK on 12/30) or tours or specialty dinners (like Fantasmic! and Candlelight Processional) or anything extra. Our wallet is firmly closed to the extra 4-fingered Mouse grab.

Disney is very good at making people spend more money so their vacation can be extra-supercalifragilistic-magical. Many longtime DVCers are immune to that, although it's obvious that we fell prey to it at one time :smickey: .

You are one of the people I think of when I tell people "you might save money with DVC if you are disciplined about it." I truly believe that 1) it is completely possible for DVC - especially DVC bought 20 years ago - to come out a bargain and 2) most people lack that discipline and are going to end up with the Mouse's hand firmly in their wallet removing cash (or like me, never bought intending to exercise discipline - we bought for bigger rooms and bringing friends and family knowing full well we'd end up giving more to the mouse.)

(We've never done upcharge events, but we will put a small fortune into overpriced dining at Disney - one of the reasons we haven't been to WDW for a long time and have been using points at places where its easier to eat at actually decent restaurants)

I'm definitely hearing reports of ghost town in several parks mid week. That can't keep up. If crowds decrease, the stock holders will be unhappy and they will have to make changes. Resort prices will suddenly go on sale, dining plans, something to suck everybody back in.

"The power of free' has been proven by consumer behavorists for years and I suspect they will be employing some of those tactics.

This was such a depressing read. We went once before as a family back in 2018 but my parents, brothers family and sisters family all came and I had to plan everything. I really felt I mastered it but it was so hard when we had to constantly divert for bathroom breaks or people being tired-parents are too needy to just leave to their own activities for even two minutes without drama. So, we were excited to do it with just the four of us, and now every single thing I mastered has been thrown out and it sure is depressing seeing the value/cost ratio tank so hard. I think the biggest problem at this moment is that there hasn’t been a good time to plan international travel with many regions requiring quarantines and unknowns of international shutdowns or dealing with healthcare abroad if something happens, so there isn’t a world of options and Disney is milking it for all they can. Hopefully the value to cost improves again or this will be a one and done for me, but it I am definitely going to have to just smile and nod so as not to bring down everyone with me during the trip.

I don't know if it's so much as outpricing as not being worth the money it costs.
Our last vacations we have stayed on property for a week or so at a deluxe hotel, did dessert parties and table service most meals.
BUT, when I look at the hassles now included in a previously 'taken care of from door to door' vacation, it's not going to entice me to go. Now I have to arrange transportation to and from the airport. I have to wait for my bags. I have to spend half my vacation arranging things on my phone and using it to keep us on track. I have to pay for park entrance and then pay for fast passes. I have to pay for the "ticket" (Magic Band) that should be included in my overall park cost. I have to do a lot more for a vacation that I should be able to just enjoy, but I can't even do that part because Disney refuses to pay maintenance staff what they're worth and the parks are trashy now. Forget trying to get a park bus in a timely manner because they just don't run them enough. Our last trip we waited over an hour to get one to Disney Springs.
And those are the big things. The little things, like the variety of shops that used to be there and the date night we could have because there were kids' clubs, the little newsletter and welcome pack from the hotel and and a front desk that welcomed you...the opening ceremony with rope drop..

I feel like, yeah, we could do it, but why do we want to? It's a shell of what it was and they just want more money from us in exchange for less. And it's a trickle down effect. They don't pay their staff well which translates to lackluster effort and more stress for them. There's no magic to be found, only cattle calls. There are less little surprises or the idea that there is something for everyone.

We did Disney specifically because it offered an experience. I've always gone to Disney, every year when I was little and less frequently when I got older, but it's a hard question to answer why I should any more. I don't relax, my phone battery is used on checking on the app, I can't be present and just be in the moment.

If I was paying less, it would offset the growing discomfort, but we will have more fun and unwind more doing something else now.

1000% this. I think you nailed it with the concept that Disney offered an experience that was unique from other venues. We were willing to pay more because the experience included excellent quality and service. Now it seems like these are much diminished. The amenities associated with staying on site are now either completely gone or drastically reduced, so it is truly difficult to justify the high cost of the resorts.

It is one of the slowest times of the year for Disney traditionally - late August until October - when F&W kicks in and the weather cools off. Late August has some of the worst weather, and school starts in much of the country.

I think the problem with attendance is bigger than Disney. I have no desire to go anywhere near Florida right now due to everything from Covid numbers to politics I find abhorrent. Disney can't do much about politics in Florida. But it isn't just Florida - those who have felt save travelling and have felt a pent up need have gotten their trips in. They'll probably put some distance between themselves and their next trip. A lot of the rest of the world is still just hunkered down - avoiding crowds and unnecessary travel. We are travelling shortly, to an area where Covid is high, but also an area where we won't be facing huge crowds and standing in lines without adequate spacing. I think a lot of people are making similar calculations.

You are right that specials may be coming in order to entice attendance. I suspect a "stay and play" promotion - book the hotel room at full price, get a substantial discount on park tickets for the length or your stay. I don't expect a dining promotion, since they still don't want the Disney elbow to elbow full restaurant dining experience during a pandemic.

The idea of a wonderful discount or dining promotion is the only chance they would have of our family visiting right now - and we are annual passholders.

We've been there in September before, and although it was slower than our usual visit times (Spring Break, June, July), it wasn't anything like what I've been reading about. That sound like last July during Covid. Not a good look for Disney.

If the parks are that dead, I'm guessing the resorts are even more so. It is so telling for me that I can get $29 RT airfare, have free tickets, and still have no interest in visiting right now. It would seriously take a 50% minimum resort special and/or significantly discounted room rates with free dining to even make it worthwhile. Simply not worth the hassle.

I did just spend some of the money "budgeted" for a couple weekend getaway Disney trips on some bedroom decor for one kid; and on some extra dorm items for the other. Plenty of other places to spend money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter