Has anyone with inner ear problems ridden Mission Space?

Jynohn

DIS Veteran
I have an inner ear condition called BPPV which sometimes causes pretty severe bouts of dizziness. It was so bad at one point, that I had to give up my career as a flight attendant :(

I have it pretty much under control now, but sometimes have reoccurences. I am dying to ride Mission Space, but I'm afraid that there's a possibility that it could cause another "episode," which would certainly put a damper on my trip. I'm not prone to motion sickness when the BPPV isn't acting up, but still don't know whether I should take the risk. I'd really hate to miss this ride though.

Is there anyone else with inner ear disorders that can share their experiences?

Thanks!

I'd like to know this myself. I suffer terribly from vertigo and will be bringing my meclizine, but as you know that can make you sleepy, so I don't want to take one unless I have to. I would love to try M:S.

Driving in the mountains of Yosemite this past May was just simply AWFUL and my dizziness/nausea could only be controlled by 2 meclizine plus a nap...

It sounds like you have something more serious than motion sickness. I hate to be negstive, but I don't know if any ride is worth potentially ruining the rest of your trip. I'd ask a doctor who is familiar with your case if the ride would bring on the bouts of dizziness. Or if you want to be brave, I'd wait til my last day of vacation and then go on it. That way if you get feeling bad, your trip is almost over.

I have motion sickness and one trip on Star Tours made me sick for a whole day so even though I loved it, I'd never go back on it-just not worth losing all the time on being sick.

I'm debating MS myself, but I do plan on doing it at the end of the trip if I decide to do it.

Good Luck

I have Meniere's - bouts of vertigo, dizzines, etc. Coasters do not seem to bother me but SIMs have in the past. If you decide to do it Cindymere let us know how you did :)

I'm going to give it a whirl :eek: and I'll let you folks know how it went.

See you there
:wave:

Oh, I get it lol. I get to be the guinea pig...:hyper:

O.K. as of this moment I do plan to ride it. I think it was a good suggestion to ride it at the end of the day or trip... will probably consider that.

My vertigo isn't acting up right now.. but as you all know, those crystals in the inner ear just seem to show up when they feel like it.

I'll let you all know how I did :crazy:

Thanks for volunteering to be the guinea pig LOL!

I did plan to save MS for the last ride of the night, but will probably follow the suggestion to save it for the last day too. Then I'll just have to worry about the plane ride home. :)

I have always had inner ear trouble. I have had many tests to figure problem out and finally ENT doctor found the answer. The balancing organ in my right inner ear only works about 50%. So left ear over compensates for the right, if anything disrupts left ear like a cold or ear infection I get extremely dizzy to the point of not being able to walk and vomiting. Also things moving fast all around me can set off some dizziness. The circle vision theaters will make me dizzy if I try and look around too much.
That being said I went on Mission Space in October and made sure I looked foward the whole time and was just fine! I really enjoyed the ride! Actually the Timekeeper made me more dizzy than Mission Space on this trip :confused:
Everyone is different so I can't tell you to go on it or not, but I knew if I didn't at least try it I would of regretted it once I got home. If my ear had been acting up before I went on
MS I probably would not have gone on it.
Good Luck and have fun no matter what you choose to do!!:D

Another Meniere's person here. I rode MS twice in August with no problems. Just keep focused to the front and don't swing your head around side to side!!!! I love this attraction.

o.k. I rode it. Bottom line: I'm glad I did it, but I *WON"T* be doing it again!

It took me about 20 minutes to recover-- no throwing up, but definitely disoriented.

I almost chickened out, but I thought of this thread and made myself go lol.

The biggest problemn for me was that rationally speaking, I couldn't tell I was spinning. But visually, something was off. they blow cold air in your face the whole time, so that kept me from hurling, but the visual picture on the screen would sometimes get distorted, even though I was looking forward and doing everything they tell you to do before it starts.

It was beautiful, but I will add that to the list of things I won't do again, which previously had mad tea cups and the rockin rollercoaster on it.

Glad to hear you survived Jennifer :bounce: And thanks for 'taking one for the team' :earseek:

I'll let you know how ours went in about 3 weeks. Hope you're having a great time :teeth:

:wave:

Have BPPV... I've riden MS 6 or 7 times now... no real problems... but I do feel "off' for the rest of the day... not really motion sick just kinda groggy... although from previous posters I don't think it just affects us BPPV suffers.. I enjoy it however I was expecting a little more from the ride which was hyped a bunch! Here's the kicker I got my BPPV from an accident I had at Blizzard Beach... but I still love Disney... :Pinkbounc

Can anyone tell me how long this ride is and about the cold air blowing in your face. Is it not that bad. I don't really like air blown in my face it makes me feel like I can't catch my breath. I would like to try this ride in January. Thanks for any info!

I spoke with a CM while waiting for my two sons to come off the ride. If I remember correctly she said the actual ride was just over 4 minutes.

I was the guinea pig the day before with my oldest son and daughter. It was really cool and I'm glad I did. I don't have any inner ear problems but I felt a little "wobbly" upon first standing and for a couple of minutes after. My poor daughter was very nauseous for about an hour. My oldest son was fine and went right back on. He and I felt "strange" for the rest of the day. I just couldn't walk fast. If my stomach "jiggled" much, on the inside I mean, it just felt strange towards the top and my son expressed the same strange sensation.

The next day, my oldest son rode again with my youngest son. Again, my oldest son was fine but my youngest was very sick and did "loose it" just outside. He was fine after that.

We rode on an empty stomach. In retrospect, I think maybe some crackers or pretzels shortly before riding would have helped with that "strange" feeling in our stomachs.

I really don't remember the cold air blowing at me. Just remember to keep your head back and look straight ahead at the screen and you should be OK. If you start looking around and talking to the person next to you, that's when problems start.

Personally, I think Mission Space is the best ride at WDW. While riding it the first time, I only had dizziness troubles when I looked sideways. As long as you don't move your head you should be fine.

The cold air isn't anything overwhelming IMHO... just a gentle flow of air on your face... seems some didn't even notice it, so that should give you an idea of how benign the air is...

I loved the MS ride and attraction and I looked forward, pressed the buttons, enjoyed the show etc. After I got out of the module I noticed I was quite sweaty and somewhat disoriented - not sick or dizzy mind you but sensory overwhelmed might be the best description. I had to walk at a very deliberate pace and could only stomach (it was lunch time after the attraction) simple fruits and veggies for about 1 hour - after that hour I felt fine again.

Tennismom, sounds like we may have had similar reactions....

thanks
jaysue

My DH has this problem too! We were actually worried about the flight to WDW (which he managed okay). However, the Astro Orbiter about did him in and after that he didn't ride anything else. My advice would be not to risk it, you'd had to miss the rest of your trip, spinning around in your room ;)

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter