has anyone used Tampa airport

julie.uk

Mouseketeer
Has anyone flown into and out of Tampa, if so how was it, how does it compare to MCO?

We are thinking of doing this in the future as we would like to start our holiday in clearwater then move to WDW.
Also has anyone done into Tampa out of MCO ? if so does the car hire cost extra to drop off at a different airport?
Thankyou
Julie

I have flown BA direct into Tampa several times as my Dad lived in Clearwater. Its a really nice airport and its very easy to get to Clearwater from there. It has been a few years since ew've done it but I know they had some nice restaurants - I believe there is (or was) a TGI Fridays just before the departure lounge.

I haven't done it as a combination with Orlando though. It is an easy drive from Orlando to tampa airport though if you do need to go back there for the return flight.

Hope that helps a little!!:thumbsup2

Kevin Stringer did this year if you want to check out his trip report.

I think most on the car hire firms don't charge extra for a one way hire within Florida but check it out when you book.:thumbsup2

We are doing it in August, if you can wait a few week will let you know how it went. fly 6th come home 31st, will have internet access while there but don't know how much time I will get to post.
We have rented with USrentacar/Budget, from Tampa to Port Canaveral, cruise 7 nights then collect another car from the port back to Tampa, no extra charge for this. Saved me approx £200 in parking fees and rental while its stood at the port.

I always fly to Tampa as my parents' house is in Bradenton. Its a good airport - easy to get to I4. Most of the car rental companies are opposite the terminal building, although for Alamo you have to get a shuttle bus which is a bit annoying as it took us a while to find the bus the only time we used them.

Once you are through security on the way back there isn't much to do - a little duty free, a newsagents and a couple of restaurants (including Chillis and maybe Starbucks).

My family once did into MCO and out of Miami with Virgin and I don't think it cost extra to have a one way rental.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter