Has Anyone Used DCL Transfers with Small Children?

mjaclyn

Currently in Wonderland
We're taking our first DCL cruise on the Dream this May and we've booked round trip transfers through Disney in order to use the luggage service. I know this bus ride is longer than the Magical Express ride to MCO, and that worries me. Both of my children are still in car seats and the last time we used DME my 1 1/2 year old son was HIDEOUS. He kept trying to get out of his seat and walk up the aisle, screaming at the top of his lungs when we finally had to physically hold him in his seat. This went on for 80% of the trip back to the airport. Since there are no restraints in the buses, he feels that he can get up and move around. Has anyone else had that problem? I'm also really scared that with all of the recent bus accidents with Disney transportation that if something did happen with our bus, the kids could get seriously injured because there are no seat belts or car seats. Has anyone used DCL transfers with young kids? (Ours will be 4 and 2) Any suggestions on how to make this trip better than the last one?

The bus ride to and from the airport and port is about an hour so he would be expected to be seated for a long time.

There were many young kids on our return bus trip from the ship to airport last month that seemed to be doing fine.

Good luck.

MJ

For the amount you're paying to use the transfers, you could use a towncar service. This is what I always do and most provide a booster or car seat :thumbsup2

We thought about using a Town Car but nothing beats being able to leave your luggage outside of your stateroom and not see it again until we land at our home airport. If there was a way we could use the airline check in and luggage service without using a DCL transfer we'd do it in a heartbeat. Honestly, with all the suitcases and extra stuff we have to bring for the kids, I don't know how we would even get it to the airport ourselves, not to mention having to check in and THEN go through security. It's just a huge time saver for us to use Disney's airline check in and we always do it when we stay on property.

We cruised when our son was 1 and then again when he was 4, turning 5. We got him up early & chose a seat with a good view of the TV screen. When he was 1, he slept after the first 10 minutes in my lap.

When he was 4-5 yr old, we did the same and got him up early so that he would sleep but also brought snacks and stickers to keep him occupied. He ate a little but this time had his own seat, to play and rest.

Good luck...I know it can be difficult! Have a magical trip!:grouphug:

A towncar service or a rental car could provide car seats. Will you be bringing your own to use on the plane? I understand the convenience of the luggage service, but if that won't work for your child then you might consider another alternative.

We've used DCL transfers many times and never had an issue with kids being out of their seats.

We just took the bus with our 16 month old. We brought along our ipad with our son's favourite video. He happily watched the video the whole trip. Do you have a portable DVD player?

We're taking our first DCL cruise on the Dream this May and we've booked round trip transfers through Disney in order to use the luggage service. I know this bus ride is longer than the Magical Express ride to MCO, and that worries me. Both of my children are still in car seats and the last time we used DME my 1 1/2 year old son was HIDEOUS. He kept trying to get out of his seat and walk up the aisle, screaming at the top of his lungs when we finally had to physically hold him in his seat. This went on for 80% of the trip back to the airport. Since there are no restraints in the buses, he feels that he can get up and move around. Has anyone else had that problem? I'm also really scared that with all of the recent bus accidents with Disney transportation that if something did happen with our bus, the kids could get seriously injured because there are no seat belts or car seats. Has anyone used DCL transfers with young kids? (Ours will be 4 and 2) Any suggestions on how to make this trip better than the last one?

I was very worried as well- traveling w/ a 5 yr old and a 16 month old. Well- I called Disney and of course, they said there was no way to use car seats on the bus. So- I said a prayer for a safe journey... We just got back today from the Magic Eastern caribbean- and it went fine. I put the baby next to the window and she didn't even try to get out of her seat. I also held her for quite a bit of the ride. She was so tired from all of the activity of the week. Even on the way she was pretty relaxed. I have never taken the ME to the resort- but on the DCL bus they had little movies with characters and cartoons playing- so that occupied both of my kids. I would do it again and not worry next time!

I think since he'll be a little older this time it might be better. I have movies on my iPhone and I'll be getting an iPad for DH as an anniversary gift before we go, so maybe a movie would work. Does anyone know why car seats aren't allowed on the buses? I know there aren't any seat belts to strap them in, but why were the buses designed without them? It's so much safer to ride in any vehicle with some kind of restraint.

I don't think that the issue is that car seats are not allowed; it is that there is no way to properly secure them in the bus. The buses comply with all Florida laws. They are not required to go beyond that, and have chosen not to.

I suppose that if enough parents made enough noise, they might add a few buses that could handle car seats...but then you'd see people complaining about needing to wait for one of the special buses.

There are no charter busses that I have ever seen that are designed for car seats. No charter busses have seat belts on them.

Charter busses and mass transportation (city busses, etc) are never designed for carseats.

Does anyone know why car seats aren't allowed on the buses? I know there aren't any seat belts to strap them in, but why were the buses designed without them? It's so much safer to ride in any vehicle with some kind of restraint.

When my DD started kindergarten, at orientation the bus driver brought this up. He said the buses are so heavy that if there is a crash, the bus will take very little of the impact. I suppose that is not true if it crashes with an 18 wheeler, but that is what I have been told.

A towncar service or a rental car could provide car seats. Will you be bringing your own to use on the plane? I understand the convenience of the luggage service, but if that won't work for your child then you might consider another alternative.

We've used DCL transfers many times and never had an issue with kids being out of their seats.

Any towncar services that you could recommend?

Would they allow you to put the carseat on the bus anyway? I would be tempted to take the carseat and set it on the seat and strap my kid into the seat even though it will not be fastened to the bus. This would at least make the child know they can't be roaming around on the bus.

This may be a really silly question but as I have never used DCL transport you will have to excuse me-Could my DD do the journey on my knee? I know this way I could get her to stay still.

Any towncar services that you could recommend?

We just booked with Spaceport Transport. They have a couple of threads on here with info. They provided such excellent customer service when I talked to them today.

Our DD will turn 5 on our trip this year and they provide your choice of safety seats as part of the price.

Good Luck!

Would they allow you to put the carseat on the bus anyway? I would be tempted to take the carseat and set it on the seat and strap my kid into the seat even though it will not be fastened to the bus. This would at least make the child know they can't be roaming around on the bus.

No, bus seats are designed to work in a specific way during a crash....having a child strapped into an unsecured car seat would just make the bus seats not work the way they were designed to in a crash situation which could lead to injury for the child and/or the other passengers.

OP- If you are concerned about your child's ability to sit properly in the bus seat for the length of the trip I would definitely look into another travel option that can accommodate a car seat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter