Has Anyone Used Costco for Booking?

After doing tons of research for "the Best price" Costco hands down was the winner. We will receive a 450.00 gift card a week after our trip.
* they do say every time you make changes to your reservation they will charge 25.00 but not sure how true that is since I have already done it twice with no charges:)
Also booked the Best Western the night before the cruise leaves thru Costco for the best price.
Found our ins on mousesavers- I used Allianz ins.

That's good to know! I have a former classmate who works for Costco travel, so I think I am going to book through her. I told DH and he thought getting a Costco card to spend after we get back (in mid-Nov) would be perfect!

After doing tons of research for "the Best price" Costco hands down was the winner. We will receive a 450.00 gift card a week after our trip.
* they do say every time you make changes to your reservation they will charge 25.00 but not sure how true that is since I have already done it twice with no charges:)
Also booked the Best Western the night before the cruise leaves thru Costco for the best price.

That $25 charge is only if the price drops and you call in to take advantage of it.

That $25 charge is only if the price drops and you call in to take advantage of it.

The $25 fee is if you make a chance that results in the cruise fare lowering. This can happen if you switch cruises from a 7 night to a 3 night, lower the cabin category, etc. You can change cruises and as long as the price stays the same or it's higher there won't be a $25 fee. I think the $25 fee is fairly new (perhaps this year?) but it's worth it in the long run with their nice cash card :thumbsup2

Heather

Tomorrow will be one week since we got off the Dream. :sad1:
I received our Costco Cash cards in the mail today! $380 and $310 for our two cabins. That $690 was more than any OBC we would have received, and we can make better use of it at Costco over the next year... until our next cruise.

I was surprised how quickly the cards came in the mail. It reminds me to make sure Costco is listed as the TA for next summer's cruise, which we booked on board.

It is my understanding (and someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong ;)) that the costco card that comes in the mail after the cruise is not a gift card, but considered a "cash card" which you can take to customer service at costco and exchange for the cash amount. What a great way to pay for any extra trip expenses!!

It is my understanding (and someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong ;)) that the costco card that comes in the mail after the cruise is not a gift card, but considered a "cash card" which you can take to customer service at costco and exchange for the cash amount. What a great way to pay for any extra trip expenses!!

No, it's a gift card to Costco - that's just what they call their gift cards.

I got a cash card from Costco one week after our cruise last month. Perhaps this only pertains to here in California, but I took it to Costco and they gave me a check! No problem. For larger amounts they evidently issue you a check instead of cash. Lots of people refer to them as Gift Cards, but it is a Cash Card. Love it!

I got a cash card from Costco one week after our cruise last month. Perhaps this only pertains to here in California, but I took it to Costco and they gave me a check! No problem. For larger amounts they evidently issue you a check instead of cash. Lots of people refer to them as Gift Cards, but it is a Cash Card. Love it!

The two that I received yesterday specifically state on the back, "Gift card balances cannot be applied as payments to any account or redeemed for cash, unless required by law."

Perhaps that is the law in California. I may try it here (Georgia), but I'll be shocked if they offer to cut me a check or give me cash for it.

We traded the Costco Cash Card for cash in VA, and it was a good sum.
I was surprised it was so easy. :)

They are listed as Costco *Cash* Cards. I have read and known many people that have traded in their cards at customer service in Costco for cash (and I don't live in CA). I have received two so far but since we shop at Costco we easily spent the card there in one trip! :lmao:

I'm not sure they are required to cash them out over a certain amount but I've known Costco's customer service to be really good and customer focused.

Heather

We are new to cruising... So I have a question. Are we able to switch from our current TA to Costco without a penalty? I realize we lose our OBC with them, but is that it? Also...just to clarify, you can pay off your cruise through Costco with Disney gift cards?

Same question I have seen...

So then if we book a dummy date on our upcoming cruise to take advantage of the 10% off, Lower Deposit and OBC and then transfer it to Costco within 30 days would we still then receive the DCL perks for the onboard booking and also then receive the Costco GC after as well?

I'm new to booking thru Costco, but did have our ressies transferred from DCL to Costco. One, I did it waaaay after this 30 day mark the PPs have mentioned. I then just bought insurance thru Costco last week (a whole year after I first booked) and they covered "preexisting conditions" (although I think this is a limited special). Next, unlike TAs where you have to go thru them to book Palo, excursions, and whatnot, you can go back to DCL website and do it on your own. The only thing you must do thru Costco (phone or Costco website) is make payment, change staterooms, make or change dining times.

I don't know about having booked onboard though and the 10% discount...if you keep that or not. But I thought you generally lose offers from one TA to the next TA/Costco when you transfer ressies, right?

Last, my pay off date was a day or two off from the original reservation.

Also, just to be clear...you have to have a Costco membership. Actually, we just used them for our Playa Del Carmen vacation in Mexico earlier this summer and everything went very smoothly.

Same question I have seen...

So then if we book a dummy date on our upcoming cruise to take advantage of the 10% off, Lower Deposit and OBC and then transfer it to Costco within 30 days would we still then receive the DCL perks for the onboard booking and also then receive the Costco GC after as well?

Yes. You can also name Costco as your TA while booking onboard. Then when home just call Costco and make sure they "got it." :)

We are new to cruising... So I have a question. Are we able to switch from our current TA to Costco without a penalty? I realize we lose our OBC with them, but is that it? Also...just to clarify, you can pay off your cruise through Costco with Disney gift cards?

I'm not sure your current TA has to transfer the ressie to another TA. :confused3

Yes you can pay with DCL gifts cards. You would call Costco and they will apply them.

... unlike TAs where you have to go thru them to book Palo, excursions, and whatnot, you can go back to DCL website and do it on your own....

My understanding is no matter what TA has your ressie, YOU must go online and book your adult dining, excursions, etc. and check in.

Normally the traveler checks in and books ressie online when it opens.. Perhaps a few exceptional TA's have done this for their best customers if they were unable for some reason. But this is not the norm.

My understanding is no matter what TA has your ressie, YOU must go online and book your adult dining, excursions, etc. and check in.

Normally the traveler checks in and books ressie online when it opens.. Perhaps a few exceptional TA's have done this for their best customers if they were unable for some reason. But this is not the norm.

Ohhh. My bad.

Ohhh. My bad.

No problem :). But remember, ... details. :lmao:

Regarding the Costco insurance, that is the normal deal with Costco. You can purchase their insurance basically up to the PIF date and get the PEC.
Many feel it's actually because WA requires travel insurance to cover PEC. That's why you can't but DCL insurance if you live in WA.
Costco is headquartered in WA.

We booked our 9/8 cruise through Costco & they are giving us the Costco Card& $100 OBC. I am not sure if they so the OBC all the time, but we lucked out :)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter