Has anyone used AirTran?

squirrel

DIS Veteran<font color=deeppink>
Would you use AirTran again?

Did you purchase the trip protection?

What are the luggage requirements? I see on the website that you pay extra for more than one bag.

We flew Air tran home from Miami in March. No complaints about the flight. Same leg room as Southwest and the other charter airlines. The luggage did not make our flight and arrived on the next flight into Buffalo. Made me wonder since we checked in more than three hours before our flight took off!!! We ended up going to the mall and going back to retieve our luggage. I did not trust them that they would deal with customs and courier our luggage home:laughing: There are ear phone jacks to listen to radio stations and they hand out ear sets if you need them. I paid extra and picked our seats in advance. I wanted to be assured that I had a seat. (It was the end of spring break and yes they were over sold!!)
As of May 15th you are allowed 1 free checked bag with a max. wieght of 50lbs.per fare paying customer. A second checked bag will cost you $10.00 if you do this when using there online checkin. It will cost you $20.00 to add the second bag at the airport.
You can find all the new rules on there website under the travel info section.

Yes I would use them again. Actually we are in August!!! They are not any worse or any better than other airlines and we do alot of travelling!!! I do not purchase the insurance as my Amex has me covered.:thumbsup2

My sister used AirTran to fly down just a few weeks back actually.

The flights themselves were actually pretty good (BUF to MCO) however her flight down had mechanical problems before takeoff.

This was actually handled as best as it could have been on my sisters end. They got her out there asap (1am unstead of 6pm) and gave her vouchers for a free flight.

However the behind the scenes was maybe not so good.

My parents were already down there and were waiting for my sister at the airport. They had a lot of trouble getting information and when they finally did they were told the flight would not be in until the following late morning. Lo and behold as soon as they got back to the Pop Century they found out my sister was on her way and would be arriving at 1am.

So.... if everything goes well (mechanical problems should be rare on any airline) their great. If not... they'll deal with it as best they can and try to treat you right but anyone else trying to find you or any firm information will be a problem.

Probobly worth a shot though.

Thanks!

We booked last night. We ended up selecting the trip insurance and not selecting seats. I am now taking my niece so we have 3 children and 3 adults. Booking one way - we saved $10 per person with the discount code!

Hi there, ..since you are traveling with 3 kids and a party of 6 you may want to spend the extra to get your seats ahead of time. You sure wouldn't want to have to be seated apart, especially as you are going during free dining...just a thought....

Anyone know if a car seat or stroller counts as a check-in piece? For example, if I travel with my 3-year old, and check in two suitcases and one car seat or stroller, will I get charged for an extra bag?

Yes...the way I read there terms and conditions you will be charged for an extra piece of luggage. You can always call there reservation line and ask. The number is 1-800-247-8726. Then you will have a definte answer.:thumbsup2

Hi there, ..since you are traveling with 3 kids and a party of 6 you may want to spend the extra to get your seats ahead of time. You sure wouldn't want to have to be seated apart, especially as you are going during free dining...just a thought....

I totally agree. Just because there is a youth in your party doesnt mean they seat them with an adult. I had this problem last year when my son was 7 and they had to do some bouncing around since I did not select out seats prior to departure. Plus, there are restrictions since youths can't sit in the exit seats. Airtran sorted it out and we sat together but we were lucky other passengers were willing to change their seating.

I have flown the direct flight from BUF - MCO return for the past 3 years and this was the only issue. They leave on time, my luggage arrives with me, plus their prices are good. But they will hold you to the 50lb weight, so be prepared to carry a little extra in your carry-on if you are over - you would be suprised how much MNSSHP candy weighs!! :rotfl:

I need to book a flight and noticed the above post mentioned a discount code for $10, is this a public code and if so, would you mind sharing it?:goodvibes

The code was for a Mother's Day special. It gave you $25 off. We used $15 of it for the insurance. I guess we should have used it for the seat selections!

Were trying them for the first time this August. Flying from Buffalo to MCO.

Hopefully everything works out well, cause we want to go again in Dec.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter