has anyone used a Moby wrap

Moby isn't meant for a child that large. It won't be very supportive and will be quite uncomfortable. I used one a lot when my youngest was a baby...but after about 12-15 lbs it's really not meant to be used anymore.

I'd look into an ergo or something like that...you'll wear it a lot longer. Be careful though! There are a lot of fake ergo's out there and you can easily get ripped off. You are better to buy one used if you are looking for a deal.

Not trying to be a thread stealer, but I am kind've stressing now that I have read this thread!!!! My son will be almost 16 months old when we go. Due to a genetic disorder he doesn't hold him self up for long periods of time in a stroller(because of low muscle tone) so I will be holding him alot. I dont feel comfortable with him on my back because of the low muscle tone. I was planning on using my moby wrap, like I do now. Obviously I don't wear it for hours on end here, and didn't even think about being uncomfortable or even the heat!!!!:eek: Soooo, that being said, anyone have any ideas??? Please, and thank you!!!! :)

Haven't read all the replies, just wanted to comment. I loved my Moby, and wore my son in it until he was about 3. I didn't wear him facing out, but on my hip, in the same position as if I were holding him on my hip. He loved it, I loved it, and I totally recommend it.

We go to WDW the first week of Sept every year, so it's still quite hot, but I didn't find the Moby made me any hotter than I would have been just holding him.

Not trying to be a thread stealer, but I am kind've stressing now that I have read this thread!!!! My son will be almost 16 months old when we go. Due to a genetic disorder he doesn't hold him self up for long periods of time in a stroller(because of low muscle tone) so I will be holding him alot. I dont feel comfortable with him on my back because of the low muscle tone. I was planning on using my moby wrap, like I do now. Obviously I don't wear it for hours on end here, and didn't even think about being uncomfortable or even the heat!!!!:eek: Soooo, that being said, anyone have any ideas??? Please, and thank you!!!! :)

K'Tan makes a Breeze carrier that is kind of like the Moby, but its two loops of fabric instead (so you skip the first few wrapping steps and its very breathable. Maybe look into that? You can order it from Amazon and return it for free if you don't like it!

My son will be 7 months when we go next month. I have a linen ring sling that I use all the time that I will be taking. I love, love, love my ring sling. I have a Moby that I used the first few months, but I wanted something cooler and quicker to use. The ring sling is perfect for that. I got mine from Sleeping Baby Productions. Her store is closed for the week, but will reopen next week and her turnaround time is great. After looking at mine, my mom thinks she can make me another one with Mickey on it for our trip!

I also ordered a Beco Gemini to use on our trip for longer carries and just to have an option. It is very similar to the Ergo but will face out also. I know that it is best to face in, but I want my son to be able to face out on rides and such. I can't imagine damaging anything in that small of an amount of time!

butterflygirl3 - Since you are obviously experienced with wrapping, you should consider getting a woven wrap. The stretchy wraps, like the Moby, are ideal for smaller children, but woven wraps are supposed to be more comfortable with larger children. I've never tried one, but I have heard they are trickier to get adjusted just right, but are much better when your child is larger.

I just remembered I am also planning on taking a water mesh ring sling for the pool and water parks.

(Can you tell I'm into this babywearing thing? :))

I am typing from my iPhone, but couldn't wait to share my experience with our youngest in our Ergo. She was about 19 months on the trip. We had our stroller and kept the Ergo in the basket underneath the stroller at all times. Every time we would get in line I would put her in the Ergo. I had her on my hip when she was awake and in front when she seemed sleepy. She loved it!!! I kept her in it during all of the rides. There were many times she didn't want to go back in the stroller and there was one night we didn't even take the stroller. It made it so easy! It was also perfect for getting on and off the buses. It also came in handy when we watched fireworks. She could not see in the stroller, so holding her was the only way. In the Ergo I was still able to take pictures and help my other children while she watched the show. I got mine at a resale shop for $30!!!! It was so worth it.

That's just my 2 cents.

I definitely wouldnt use a moby in a child that large. they are awesome the first few months but after about 20 lbs just not supportive enough. And as others have mentioned, forward facing out in carriers is also not a very good option... I know people do it, but it is hard on your spine, and pulls you off balance increases the risk of falling. Forward facing towards you or on the back is really the safest.

Woven wraps are really awesome things if you like wrapping, much more supportive with toddlers, can be used on the front and back. There is a bit of a learning curve but can be done. I love the two I have but at somewhere like WDW it can be a challenge to be wrapping a lot with a toddler. Younger babies you can put them in a "poppable" front carry where you can take them in and out.

I personally love having a soft structured carrier at somewhere like disney. I havent tried an ergo or boba but I know lots love them. I have a TMD buckle tai (two actually, one the stays in the car) that I use every day. So comfortable! I can use it on my back or front facing in.

If finances are an issue, I would look at one of the babwearing swap boards. There is one on babycenter.com and another on thebabywearer.com. You can buy gently used carriers for much less. I have bought and sold with great success at both places.

If your little one likes to be held a lot, having a carrier is a lifesaver. If they are content in a stroller you may be ok.

What about looking on Etsy for a carrier- like a Mei tai? Those provide great support for lengthy wearing-times and are really cute! They aren't as expensive as the SSCs, like the Ergo and Boba.

After reading some of these replies, I am now going to start a thread about wearing babies on rides. I was wondering about that!

Thank you all for your wonderful help we leave tonight and I looked on eBay but they would not have gotten here on time so my husband said last night that if I need one we will finde a babies r use down there we will have are car so it is a good solution

Thank you all for your wonderful help we leave tonight and I looked on eBay but they would not have gotten here on time so my husband said last night that if I need one we will finde a babies r use down there we will have are car so it is a good solution

Babies R Us sells the Ergo so you should be all set if necessary:thumbsup2

Stretchy wraps (Moby and the like) tend to get much more uncomfortable as the weight goes up. If you love wrapping and don't have much money, then you can get a gauze wrap which is fairly thin but much more supportive (Wrapsody Bali Breeze is the one I have). If you think you'll be using it a ton and have the money to spend, I highly suggest getting a good quality woven wrap like a Didymos, Girasol, BBSlen. Those things are incredibly well made and will be infinitely more comfortable than a Moby at that age!

If you don't love wrapping, then try an Ergo or the like, they're much easier to pop the kid in and out of. I have both, and I use both for different situations for my 16mo. Ergo for going out, Wrap for helping him get to sleep.

I know the OP is all set, but in case anyone else is looking at this thread for inspiration I thought I would post a suggestion. A ring sling is awesome for hip carries and if you are looking for something that functions like a Moby but isn't nearly as hot and is much more supportive check out a guaze wrap.
I have carriers by each of these makers and they are great. I generally have my 32lb son wrapped for about 2 hours each day with no issues.

http://www.lilpeeperkeepers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=292

http://babyette.net/product/gauze-wraps-2-2-2

These are cheap, but it does take some getting used to.

We love our Babyhawk for the first year and then when they get tall enough, the Toddlerhawk. We only really use the Moby for the first few weeks, and that's only if they're not a fan of the high back carry with the Mei Tai.

Wraps become handy again once the kids are preschool age. There are some awesome wrap carries for older kids - but they're not the type where you can just up-down them, they're for longer trips.

So I just went to babies r us in Daytona were we are spending the first 2 days here And I got the infantino mie tie have not tryed it yet but got to use my 20% coupon I will Try it out after nap we just got back from the beach

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter