Has anyone thought of renting out their RV?

pocomom

Brr.....
We have some friends and family that borrow our RV from time to time. We don't let anyone drive it (insurance and just asking for trouble) but normally put it where it needs to go, set it up and then let them use it. My aunt is going to do this this year for Disney with her grandkids. We'll drive it down have our vacation, clean up and then let her have a week while we go visit other family. It got me thinking about actually renting it out for that purpose... Thoughts?

It would never work for us. My DH is grossed out by the thought of anyone else using the toilet in our motorhome. He would not consider buying a used MH because of the same reason. :rolleyes:

It would never work for us. My DH is grossed out by the thought of anyone else using the toilet in our motorhome. He would not consider buying a used MH because of the same reason. :rolleyes:

Oh Goodness! I hadn't even thought of that germaphobe that I am. And I'm the one that would have to dump it! Eek! - When we go down I normally spend a week or two with family and we have to store the rv, so I was thinking it would solve an issue as well as make a little money for the trip.

I might consider it for family or friends. For strangers, no thanks.

No way would we rent our MH for no amount of money. I am very particular about taking care of everything, and from the way I see a lot of people 'not' take care of their own property, I'm sure rentals would not fair well.

I can just see crumbs and sticky fingers on 'everything', where my children and g'children always had/have to eat at the table/snack bar. Then next there would be bugs :eek: I'm freaking my own self out LOL.

Then of course, the motor aspect of it - my dh is the same about it, very meticulous with the driving and maintenance.

So, again, would have to say, *no way*. It's our second home! :goodvibes

Also, because of above, we also would never rent an RV. No matter how clean it looks, I would never feel completely clean in it. ;)

Same here. We may not have the newest or most beautiful MH around, but it's ours for our use. We keep a lot of our stuff in it and cannot think of cleaning it out for someone else to use. Plus, it's our bathroom and our bedroom. I also agree that someone else would likely not take as good care of it as we try to do.

Another no here as well. DH is very picky about the camper. He is very careful about the black/gray water tanks being clean. Not to mention, someone else sleeping on the beds:scared: (we tried very hard not to think about it on our trip staying at ASMo)

There are numerous companies that do this so its something people want. Just an FYI I looked at a company that does WDW if that may help you.

Personally the issues I see would be insurance and a way to recover money should something happen. I believe you would need some sort of commercial policy.

And like said before I could not handle all the clean up that comes with it. I know you can put in the contract it must return clean and if it went to court a judge would say its clean but its not my clean.

Its probably not going to be worth it. Its one thing to rent out RV's you own as a business, its another to rent out a "personal" RV.

What if something happens to it the week before you have a big vacation planned and its now in the shop?

I vote NO too. I take care of my items but cant help but notice some people do not respect other peoples property. Even when I vacation with extended family and I see them letting their kids jump on the beds ect I could SO invision that if I were to let them use my future motor home. (In between rigs now.) Its just like loaning money to family - what happens if they mess it up? :surfweb: Also, this year I have heard about people actually getting banned from the fort for life. So lets say Aunt Ruth decides to whoop it up or whatever if the fort has issues with her you are probably still some how be liable since the reservation and rv are in your name. I would assume they would hold you responsible for any activites that go on at your site and they might not be too thrilled with the arrangment. I think the fort over looks the rv services that come in because they know many people want the camping experience and they probably behind the scenes check their insurance and stuff. Frankly we dealt with an rv service before at disney and it was a so so experience.
:offtopic:

We have done it, and will not do it again. We have a friend that runs a RV rental business and was put in a jam of not having enough units to go out the door. So we reluctantly let her use ours. As someone stated earlier... my clean and someone elses clean are two different things. It is a hassle to remove and restock the unit. I was always looking for what "they" did to our unit.

I rent mine out but not short term like vacations, but short term like three months. I bought and lived in mine for four years. I have it permenently set up in a resort. I was moved with my job and offered room and board as well as salary so my rv was sitting unattended for months before I could go for one night, plus I was paying for it to be there. Anyway it is near a nuclear plant that has work come in for three or four months and then gone. So I talk to the place and set it up with them, it is government contracted and I can say whom I want. I always choose an elder couple coming in for three or four months, I know they are working and making huge money, and I do backgrounds and also have the company to back me up. So it I rent it just twice a year for six months total out of the year, I usually make my space rent and rv payment for the year and when my job is done, I can go back and live my peaceful life. So far I have been very happy and have had wonderful people rent from me.

No way!

The reason we have our MH is that we want to sleep in OUR BED, not a bed that has been rented out.

John VN said:
No way!

The reason we have our MH is that we want to sleep in OUR BED, not a bed that has been rented out.

Bingo! My wife would always pack her own sheets and pillows, cost me half my vehicle storage space when we would vacation.

No, I don't think I would not want to rent my camper to strangers. If I had two, one to use and one to rent! LOL!

We do not care at all to set it up for family or friends and leave it a couple of extra days at the lake when we go for the family to use. Everyone has always taken very good care of our stuff and left everything very clean.

If I rented my camper I would be taking my things out and repacking all the time. LOL! I definetly wouldn't want them using my linens. I would be cleaning the camper all the time!:laundy::worried: LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter