Has anyone switched a cabin in order to get the connecting cabin?

camtheriot

DIS Veteran
Ok, I'm not sure if this is even possible...but, I have 2 cabins that are only one cabin away from each other (7678 & 7674)... The connecting cabin (7676) has been booked by someone else. What are the odds of me finding the person who has the cabin, and would Disney do the switch IF they were willing? I know it's a longshot, but my dad is in the second cabin with 2 of my kids. He has some medical issues and I don't want him to be too stressed. My mom also just passed away a month ago... I want this to be a relaxing time for him.

I'm in the same situation OP. My TA says she put in a request with DCL to have the one room switched if at all possible. She says sometimes that happens and sometimes it doesn't. I have an 11A (now in GTY status) so I think it's at least possible that the room between could get upgraded. I am over a year out though so I hold out some hope that the other cabin could cancel, change category, etc. If I were you I would call DCL (or have your TA do it) and at least put in a request.

So I hope for the best, and at worst, apologize for the noise as our kids go back and forth!

I got joining rooms for our parties and that was a lucky one for us. I would suggest calling the day after when people can't cancel anymore and see if there is one available, you can also mention this upon check in or worst case scenerio when you check in ask them if they would mind switching. You never know they may not even need joining rooms.

We have the same issue...we have 2 non-adjoining cabins booked and actually one of the adjoining cabins was a person on our roll call! But I didn't want to just jump in first thing and ask them if they would be interested in switching, so I waited but now I haven't seen them on the roll call for quite some time. I'm wondering if they had to cancel their cruise or something - I should have just asked them...I called our travel agent the other day and she checked, but it is not showing as available. :sad:

We just did this same thing for our cruise in Oct '13. Our friends were several cabins away and I kept checking everyday. Finally 2 adjoining became available on portside. We had to upgrade one category but it was only like $51. Per stateroom so it was a no brainer for us. Also, I would expect staterooms to become available after final pmt is due, however, I would check ASAP after that date!

I still check almost everyday to see if 2 adj on starboard side became available in our category. I tend to be obsessive when planning our vacays or cruises so this is normal for me:). DH says by the time we go there are no surprises :confused3for me because I plan, read, and research everything before!:rolleyes1

camtheriot said:
There are no more OV in that category, and the cheapest upgrade would be too expensive.

What about going down a class to inside? Maybe you could find those adjoining?

What about going down a class to inside? Maybe you could find those adjoining?

Well, we could possibly do that... But we wanted the extra Space the 8C OV has and my dad actually requested an OV.

I think I may try calling DCL to see if anything is possible as Silly Little Pixie suggested..Guess it couldn't hurt to ask. :confused3

Ok, I'm not sure if this is even possible...but, I have 2 cabins that are only one cabin away from each other (7678 & 7674)... The connecting cabin (7676) has been booked by someone else. What are the odds of me finding the person who has the cabin, and would Disney do the switch IF they were willing? I know it's a longshot, but my dad is in the second cabin with 2 of my kids. He has some medical issues and I don't want him to be too stressed. My mom also just passed away a month ago... I want this to be a relaxing time for him.

This happened to us a couple years ago. I waited by the cabin and before the person next to us entered the room I asked if he would consider switching cabins with us because his was adjoining our relatives.

It was just one man, his girl friend and her family were in a cabin on a different deck.

We hadn't opened our room and he agreed, we went to the front desk and they made the switch without problem. We were lucky that the other person agreed and helped us out. I bought him a few drinks while on board.

There have been other reports of people doing what the PP suggested (asking on board), but I'm not sure anyone has had success doing so before the trip. If the other room happened to be taken by a DISer, you'd likely be set - but the odds are slim. Since the other travellers are clearly not connecting with travelling companions and moving over one cabin doesn't change much in terms of the area of the ship you are in (and assuming that the cabins are identical in terms of number of beds and layout), I would think that the odds were good that they'd be willing to change - if you only could ask them.

OP - glad to see that things worked out with moving the cruise date!

We booked just under a year out and were unable to get two connecting rooms in the category we wanted. We went ahead and booked our desired category. A few months later we were upgraded and now have connecting cabins w Verandah.

There have been other reports of people doing what the PP suggested (asking on board), but I'm not sure anyone has had success doing so before the trip. If the other room happened to be taken by a DISer, you'd likely be set - but the odds are slim. Since the other travellers are clearly not connecting with travelling companions and moving over one cabin doesn't change much in terms of the area of the ship you are in (and assuming that the cabins are identical in terms of number of beds and layout), I would think that the odds were good that they'd be willing to change - if you only could ask them.

OP - glad to see that things worked out with moving the cruise date!

I thought of doing that too!! If it comes to this, I'll give it a
Shot. I don't see why someone would mind moving only one cabin down. I won't get my hopes up though, just in case it doesn't happen.

Yes, it did work out in the end... But, we had to bite the bullet to the tune of $600 :scared1: oh well, I know Disney has done more than enough for me. I am grateful for that!!:thumbsup2

Just to clarify for people who may not know the correct terminology....or the difference.

Connecting cabins mean the cabins have the interior door that connects one cabin to the other.

Adjoining cabins only mean that they are next to each other.

If you call DCL and ask for adjoining cabins but really want the connecting you may not get what you want. Make sure you use the correct terminology so you get what you want (if available, of course).

MJ

We booked our cruise and paid upfront but would also like to get the connecting cabin to ours for my parents. They are currently 10 cabins away. How many days out is final payment day?

Thanks for the help

judy

We booked our cruise and paid upfront but would also like to get the connecting cabin to ours for my parents. They are currently 10 cabins away. How many days out is final payment day?

Thanks for the help

judy

This is taken from DCL website:

Your full and final payment depends on the length of your cruise, the embark and debark port, and if you are staying in a suite/concierge stateroom or a non-suite/non-concierge stateroom:

For cruises less than 10 days where the Embark or Debark is a U.S. Port, payment for Suites/Concierge staterooms must be made 90 days or more prior to departure and for Non-Suite/Non-Concierge staterooms payment must be made 75 days or more prior to departure.

For cruises of 10 days or more and cruises less than 10 days where the Embark or Debark is a non-U.S. Port, payment for Suites/Concierge staterooms must be made 150 days or more prior to departure and for Non-Suite/Non-Concierge staterooms payment must be made 120 days or more prior to departure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter