Has anyone sent their xbox 360 out for repair?

ruadisneyfan2

DIS Veteran
Ds's hand-me-down xbox 360 (from older ds) just got the 'red ring of death' as they call it. When I look up on their support page what to do for 3 red rings, it says send it to Microsoft for repair. :scared1:
It's just over 5 yrs old so we're not sure if it's even worth getting repaired but older ds asked for a new one for his big Christmas gift which is how little ds got this one. Dh was going to just go out and buy another but I don't think that wouldn't be fair to older dh, who waited patiently til Christmas. We thought he was crazy to want another one but he said the new ones are better designed, better graphics, memory, etc.
btw, it was working fine until now.
Little ds has a birthday in May but we don't typically spend that much on birthday gifts.

What has your experience with xbox repairs been?:confused:

My DS had an Xbox that was two years old. We had the extended warranty from Best Buy, so when it died, we took it there -- they said Microsoft doesn't even repair them, just sends a refurbished replacement (it's a long story, but they ended up giving us a brand new one off the store's floor because everything had changed -- cords, inputs, etc). I'd imagine that it wouldn't be worth it at all to repair a 5-year-old console, especially if you have one of the smaller hard drives. Now, they only have the 250 gb and the 4 gb hard drives (our old one had been the 32 gb, so they gave us the big one rather than move us down to the smaller one). I think your best bet is to call Microsoft's help line and ask them. You may find that the cost to repair wouldn't be worth it.

We did it. It cost $100. Here is what we did:

1. Go their website.
2. Create an account.
3. Go to 'register a product'.
4. Go to 'request a repair'.
5. Choose the item you want to repair. Then pay.
6. They will mail you a shipping packet. It will have directions on how to box it up and ship it.

Took about 3 to 4 weeks to get it back. You can check the repair status of it on their website.

Ds's hand-me-down xbox 360 (from older ds) just got the 'red ring of death' as they call it. When I look up on their support page what to do for 3 red rings, it says send it to Microsoft for repair. :scared1:
It's just over 5 yrs old so we're not sure if it's even worth getting repaired but older ds asked for a new one for his big Christmas gift which is how little ds got this one. Dh was going to just go out and buy another but I don't think that wouldn't be fair to older dh, who waited patiently til Christmas. We thought he was crazy to want another one but he said the new ones are better designed, better graphics, memory, etc.
btw, it was working fine until now.
Little ds has a birthday in May but we don't typically spend that much on birthday gifts.

Yes, we've sent ours in twice and it was, I think, $89. Since the second repair was within a year of the first, it was free! It works great and was cheaper than buying a new one. It took three weeks each time.

we sent ours in the first year, it was under warranty. All worked out great but it didn't cost us anything. Turn around was quick. Ours is probably the same age as yours.

You might be able to find someone locally who can fix it. My son found a guy on craigslist to help him with one that his buddy gave him (RROD also). He got it working but he wants to jtag it (no idea what in the world that is) and is dragging his feet on doing that. I think it requires soldering and if he messes up, it's junk.

Yup just got ours back 2 weeks ago actually!

It was still under warranty (3 years) so we just payed for shipping which was $30...

Waaay better than buying a new one which my hubby almost conned me into...thank goodness i'm smart!:)

We've had ours fixed. Here's the thing it's $99 to have it fixed but it will extend your warranty for the rrod for another year but you can buy a used Xbox from Gamestop for the same price. So do you wanna pay to be a warranty or pay to get your product immediately?

We've had ours fixed. Here's the thing it's $99 to have it fixed but it will extend your warranty for the rrod for another year but you can buy a used Xbox from Gamestop for the same price. So do you wanna pay to be a warranty or pay to get your product immediately?

Wow, is that all they are at Gamestop? Do they offer any type of warranty for used consoles? We've bought used games before but never consoles. What if it dies in month? He has some store credit & some $ saved. Might be worth looking into.

:thanks:

:disrocks:

Wow, is that all they are at Gamestop? Do they offer any type of warranty for used consoles? We've bought used games before but never consoles. What if it dies in month? He has some store credit & some $ saved. Might be worth looking into.

:thanks:

:disrocks:

That's the price at our local Gamestops. Not sure about the warranties but usually find their staff very helpful. Good luck!

Check on Craigslist. We just got my son's repaired. His had the open tray error and the guy charged $20, but he also fixes RROD for a little more.

I believe Gamestop has a 90 day warranty on used symptoms, but you can pay extra for a longer warranty or get one through squaretrade.com.

They are very good about the repairs for the red ring of death.:thumbsup2

Once you call them, they will give you an authorization number. You send it to them via UPS and as soon as they get it, they send you a new one (you won't get yours back, they send you a refurbished one with something like a 30 or 60 day warranty, I can't remember which).

We have two XBox 360s (don't ask :rolleyes1) and both had the RROD. I think it took 2 1/2 or 3 weeks to get our 'new' one back from the repair facility.

Don't go buy a new one, they are good about doing the repair for this particular problem (dont' get me started about other problems, thats a whole different story).

Edit to add: Microsoft will repair the RROD for FREE, its not going to cost you anything beyond the shipping (I think that was about $10-12 via UPS)

Both my sons have XBOX. Over the years we have sent 3 back. Last time we sent my older sons back, it was around $100-waited 3-4 weeks to get it back and guess what? The refurbished one that took a month to get also had the red rings of death right out of the box! Another call to microsoft. They did send us the camera thing for free (for our trouble). It took another 3 weeks to get the second refurbished one from them...you don't actually get yours back...that's why you remove your hardrive before you send it. Oh, and it took 2 calls and 3 months to get a refund for the time we were unable to use XBOX live. Such a hassle.

So, when my older sons died again in November, we just bought a new one. This time we bought the insurance from Best Buy. Microsoft no longer has a 3 year warranty, I believe it's only 1 year. The new design runs much better and is way more quiet (according to my son). If you get new, make sure you get the bigger hard drive one. The 4 g can't run certain games like Fallout, Halo, etc. because they use too much memory...there is something tiny on the box letting you know this. Since my son was with me and the Best Buy guy was talking to him about the games he plays, he let us know that.

Much to my sons delight, they sell a cable for $19.99 that you can plug into your old hard drive and transfer everything to the new hard drives. No computer is needed, just the 2 hard drives and the cable. This was important to him because of his gamer tag, ranking, saved games, etc.

I have friends that have had XBOX 360s with the warranty from Best Buy. They claim they are way easier to deal with than calling Microsoft and waiting a month. Plus with Microsoft only doing a 1 yr warranty...I thought Best Buy was the way to go.

I'd get new and get a warranty from Best Buy and hope that Microsoft fixed the problem with the new design. :goodvibes

Ours suffered the RROD in the summer. I called and by the serial number they deemed it was less than 3 years old. They got for Christmas 3 years ago as a gift from grandma and grandpa. They told me they extended the warranty to 3 years for RROD and sent me a mailing label. We sent it back and it was returned about 3 or 4 weeks later with a gift card for a free month of xbox live service...since we already had it and couldn't use it.

My son was so excited to play until he couldn't find his favorite game....we searched and searched...a few days later an package came in the mail...It was the game with a note saying we sent it back with the xbox! LOL So, make sure you take the game out!!!!

They are very good about the repairs for the red ring of death.:thumbsup2

Once you call them, they will give you an authorization number. You send it to them via UPS and as soon as they get it, they send you a new one (you won't get yours back, they send you a refurbished one with something like a 30 or 60 day warranty, I can't remember which).

We have two XBox 360s (don't ask :rolleyes1) and both had the RROD. I think it took 2 1/2 or 3 weeks to get our 'new' one back from the repair facility.

Don't go buy a new one, they are good about doing the repair for this particular problem (dont' get me started about other problems, thats a whole different story).

Edit to add: Microsoft will repair the RROD for FREE, its not going to cost you anything beyond the shipping (I think that was about $10-12 via UPS)

I think OP said the system is 5 years old. The warranty for RROD is only for three years, so she would most likely have to pay for the repair.

My son is a freshman in college and decided he could not afford to buy a new one or send his old one anywhere for repairs, so he did an internet search and found out how to repair it on his own. He just had to buy a few dollars worth of supplies and he fixed it.

Just as a note, he is no more "tech savy" than your average 19 year old X-Box fan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter