• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone sean the teal pumpkin pledge

At the risk of sounding like a crabby old lady, this is a nice reminder, but not something I plan on doing.

I am mindful of trying to buy one treat that may not be chocolate, and one that doesn't have nuts and I realize that may not be good enough for some.

Again, I am wondering how we ever survived!

That sounds nice, but I think it would be hard to be prepared with age-appropriate non-food treats. Most years, I get kids of all ages from babies and teens. Some years, I do try to grab a few baby-friendly candies rather than all good chocolate.

I think that if I had a child with allergies, I would allow them to trick or treat and then I would "exchange" the candy for candy that the child can eat.

As a parent of someone with a food allergy, it kind of bugs me. I just wish people would leave it alone because it bugs some non-allergy people to have to feel like they are catering.

My son loved Halloween for the sake of Halloween. He went trick or treating and took whatever was offered. When we got home at night, his sister got all his "nutty" candy while he made due with the Tootsie Rolls, Peppermint Patties, Jolly Ranchers, Sweet Tarts, Blow Pops, etc.

I grew up with an allergy (long since outgrown). My parents just switched out what I couldn't have with stuff that was safe.

While it's nice to offer a variety of treats (we do because I love buying all kinds of treats), I don't think it needs to be a "pledge" type of thing. It's not like kids are actually going to choose whether or not to go to a house based on the color of some little pumpkin in the dark.

Is there a kind of candy is 100% safe for all children?

There isn't one. Instead you buy small toys and such. Not always the best solution as some parents can't stand the cheap toys that most people opt for.

There is no pleasing everyone to be honest. The best we can do is try but someone will end up upset.

I hadn't heard of it til now. In all honestly, I think it borders on ridiculous. And yes, I am a mom...to a son who had food allergies as a child

I hung a teal pumpkin on my door last year. I had some non-nut (i.e., pure sugar) treats and some non-candy treats (pencils, fake tattoos). I have only a couple people ask for the allergy friendly candy and NO ONE wanted my non-candy treats. I did foist the pencils off on a few kids anyway. LOL.

I try to be respectful of the most obvious nut and chocolate allergies by having a couple of choices, but beyond that I'm done. It's Hershey's milk chocolate bars or Skittles in my treat bowls. I'm not signing a pledge. I'm counting on parents to perform due diligence once the kiddos get home.

There isn't one. Instead you buy small toys and such. Not always the best solution as some parents can't stand the cheap toys that most people opt for.

There is no pleasing everyone to be honest. The best we can do is try but someone will end up upset.

Small toys=choking hazard!!!

We usually buy the variety pack of candy-some plain chocolate, some with peanut butter, there might be Smarties or lollipops, I can't remember....

Halloween always seems to have something to get upset over. When I was a kid, it was my mom scouring my candy for razor blades. Now its allergies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter