Has anyone regretted becoming a DVC member?

I thought it was hard to trade in via RCI.... Am I mistaken? Just curious....
It's not that difficult iff you can travel any time of the year, are proactive, use their wait list and are OK with the lessor demand resorts. It also helps if one is OK with 1 BR units.

It's not that difficult iff you can travel any time of the year, are proactive, use their wait list and are OK with the lessor demand resorts. It also helps if one is OK with 1 BR units.

Oh ok. For us we need to schedule our vacations in advance, we prefer the winter months, we want to walk to the parks (high demand resorts).... But we do prefer one beds right now. Lol.

So we bought where we want to stay. BLT and BWV.

Was just curious about the Rci system. My friend was trying to get a dvc resort through Rci and said it was super $$ and couldn't get a 2bd in November through February.

Oh ok. For us we need to schedule our vacations in advance, we prefer the winter months, we want to walk to the parks (high demand resorts).... But we do prefer one beds right now. Lol.

Was just curious about the Rci system. My friend was trying to get a dvc resort through Rci and said it was super $$ and couldn't get a 2bd in November through February.
2 BR are more difficult but it sounds like they expected it to just be sitting there. Most units come online nowadays around 7 months out or just under and don't last very long. Most are actually matched to wait lists and never seen online. I rarely use my points directly any more other than as a supplement, we'd bought 100 points (4*25) at AKV a few years ago with the intent of selling off 50 or 75 as well as our BWV contract and just keeping the small amount for the perks. I've never gotten around to it partly because DVC was my first love in timeshares and the rental option has kept me from being forced to proceed.

We got an OKW 2 BR Dec 14-21, 2013 on an RCI exchange -- for about half what my OKW MFs would have been. In the last year or so, however, 2 BRS have been tougher to get.

The key for any RCI --> DVC exchange is to use an ongoing search (the "waitlist" Dean mentions above).

We got an OKW 2 BR Dec 14-21, 2013 on an RCI exchange -- for about half what my OKW MFs would have been. In the last year or so, however, 2 BRS have been tougher to get.

The key for any RCI --> DVC exchange is to use an ongoing search (the "waitlist" Dean mentions above).
I reviewed my RCI weeks and points accounts. Over the past 6 yrs I've had eleven 2 BR units. I didn't count the 1 BR but it should be about 60% 1BR. Last August we had two 2 BR units at SSR. Stayed at all then active WDW resorts except BLT and declined it in favor of something else.

There are some silly posts here on the subject of RCI exchanges into DVC. But for serious folk, the general concept of timeshare exchanges is not hard to understand -- for those who want to understand.

The ability to exchange out to other options through RCI is a highly-touted and important benefit of DVC. Regardless of anyone's estimate of the "perceived value," RCI exchanges are ONE option for DVC points use.

Basically, if you don't like the deal, don't exchange. And don't whine. If you DO like the exchange, great.

Timeshare exchanges are equal exchanges in the sense that the real value of a home is what a buyer is willing to pay and a seller is willing to accept. Any DISmember's estimate of the "value" of an exchange is totally irrelevant.

If the DVC member is happy with what they get, and the RCI exchanger is happy with what they get -- it's an EVEN exchange.

The allegation of "stealing rooms" is laughable on its face.

There is no intrinsic DVC/RCI inventory. DVC inventory goes into RCI ONLY when a DVC owner decides to exchange out -- which is their rightful option under their contract. Exchanging out is not only a permissible RIGHT of DVC ownership, it's a highly-valued sales point for DVC Sales.

Once a DVC owner chooses to exchange out, that corresponding inventory goes into RCI. That inventory no longer exists for booking with DVC points because it has already been used by a DVC owner in the exchange. And therefore, a person exchanging IN using RCI is NOT taking anything away from exalted DVC owners -- they are simply snagging what is rightfully theirs in RCI.

Personal agendas aside, this is really not that difficult.

Last edited:

There are some silly posts here on the subject of RCI exchanges into DVC. But for serious folk, the general concept of timeshare exchanges is not hard to understand -- for those who want to understand.

The ability to exchange out to other options through RCI is a highly-touted and important benefit of DVC. Regardless of anyone's estimate of the "perceived value," RCI exchanges are ONE option for DVC points use.

Basically, if you don't like the deal, don't exchange. And don't whine. If you DO like the exchange, great.

Timeshare exchanges are equal exchanges in the sense that the real value of a home is what a buyer is willing to pay and a seller is willing to accept. Any DISmember's estimate of the "value" of an exchange is totally irrelevant.

If the DVC member is happy with what they get, and the RCI exchanger is happy with what they get -- it's an EVEN exchange.

The allegation of "stealing rooms" is laughable on its face.

There is no intrinsic DVC/RCI inventory. DVC inventory goes into RCI ONLY when a DVC owner decides to exchange out -- which is their rightful option under their contract. Exchanging out is not only a permissible RIGHT of DVC ownership, it's a highly-valued sales point for DVC Sales.

Once a DVC owner chooses to exchange out, that corresponding inventory goes into RCI. That inventory no longer exists for booking using DVC points. And therefore, a person exchanging IN using RCI is NOT taking anything away from exalted DVC owners -- they are simply snagging what is rightfully theirs in RCI.

Personal agendas aside, this is really not that difficult.
Being unhappy with the existence of the system is basically saying the option shouldn't exist. Now one could certainly pick apart the system itself and I have over the years. IMO it is negative to the DVC owners that exchange out in almost every circumstance (a few exceptions but very few). It doesn't hurt those that chose not to in any way. As I've said a number of times, I think both DVD and the members would be better off if they expanded their own registered timeshare exchange company, the BVTC. An alliance for "direct" exchanges with say Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton and Starwood brings a value to DVC from a sales standpoint and to the members themselves. Bluegreen, Shell, Wyndham, Worldmark and the like are more difficult. Though they have many properties worthy of inclusion, not all are. To include them in such an alliance they would either have to accept the lessor properties or exclude a portion from some or all groups thus adding some limitations to members of those groups, both workable approaches IMO and c/w how the current BVTC system works.

Yes! But the only reason is because I have recently lost my job and have no way of affording it now :( The job loss was very unexpected and now I have to sell my contracts. I have had some AMAZING vacations over the years I was lucky enough to be a member and I hope that someday I will be in the position the purchase again.

this is an ongoing & "std" response, liked all the previous ones. personally- it lacks respect- in suggesting
...a lack of knowledge & then claiming a superior mind set. and liked the one poster question,
they are not as sneaky as one thinks. liked all the previous ones, waiting - for concrete analysis
that back up the reasoning...for x~ why should any rci trade be more than one? ( like the numbers? how many rci owners
compared to dvc owners)

for the record, this/rci issues, are just a tiny part of what i like to see dvc improving. the big picture is getting dvc to tighten
their belt so the "system" is consistent & efficient while reducing waste/costs. since you are not dvc high level manager---
i only measured your observations with all the other owners here--no more , or less. but it is't missed the rci
angles you are using & protecting...which i understand. so when you commented you would not own dvc if
you did it over again...i understood why you are saying "that" ( that you didn't mean not going to wdw but
using rci for all your trips--liked/4/5 this year )

the rci groupings here, are as predictable as they ever been. what dvc owners need is an educational group for owners
interest because "you" don't understand all the un-ethical issues within. nor is it missed , the down playing. fyi~ it isn't seeking approval
because i am sicken by all the extra $ we are losing because dvc is letting non/members rent rooms that are from rci
traders....and all the other wasting. and who knows what the locals having connections are doing by using their family
dvc worker--from laundry to staying in empty rooms & so forth. from parking on....what yo never recon , q thing/q observation-
were only the tip of what is a very big/& costly -to owners---"iceberg". all based on gathering accurate input , & not just our
experiences. i always been that way...a fact seeker over opinions. and i understand the feelings, plus friends- "why"
they are challenging these observations...rci owners too.

yeah, "guests" arriving to an empty room & it is already occupied. funny how often that happens? it just like "some here"
are answering /commenting...on almost every , single question here. must be very important for them to do so . but the pattern i see
to redirect frequently. a great x~ was about walking..."bump". i found it interesting that experts feel it needs to be "stop" for all things,
costs. but all the other issues like rci renting , people using/wearing dvc washers/ dryers, & so forth.....

i expect the only rooms rci trades , @ the least dvc be given double value---& only the rooms from the trader resort ( ssr points
should never be for a blt room. and never extra rooms added. ) while this will never be popular here, only because yuor
strong rci connections. if dvc had a vision --bye, bye to rci...& test the waters with it own /individual contacts , near
all the world disney destinations ..and let 's see if dvc can be disney world by itself.

sure hope the dvc monitor is reading this & the walking thread, "please!!!!"
....by the numbers, i am regretting the sloppiness /conflict of rci interests that are ongoing ..that iam paying extra hundreds /hundreds
of dues......when it could be stop. fyi~ i rather have my monies vs the approval of all the rci experts here. one time,
"show your work" why should any rci trader be more than once q 2years?

however, if we were friends interacting in person....fyi, how is it dvc mangers seek your input? ( why~based on
your point of views, i am concern with the rci connections & the poor conditions dvc owners are getting. see?
concrete facts as it is self evident....that is, there are things happening frequently that goes against dvc owners )

what i think is promising....is a potential owner...trying to understand dvc current dynamics.

oh, ps,.....i read your responses many times to others. above is just business, but....i also think you have strong
ethics. the problems i referred too are toward those not holding themselves to any stds...& using the info.
to cheat any ways they can. i think you go out of your way to help others and are very patience when
others are frustrating. i am old fashioned, meaning family values passed on from generations- are my
guide. & my comfort zone is being "set in my ways". but i don't post'em for review...i don't want/need
approval. fyi..i believe q thing being posting...until proven otherwise.

Regret is an interesting concept. We're bus adverse however we do enjoy our AK home but try to limit our park stays to walkable venues, using our AK when we're on a resort stay. It's like DTD - we enjoy it but we don't get there often.

Thanks for everyone's input so much it's really a huge decision to make before you that dotted line

For us, we were very happy with staying at moderates and couldn't justify the costs of staying in deluxe (apart from OKW and SSR when on offer), but when we looked at all the figures, buying in to DVC enabled us to stay in deluxe resorts (our home resort is BCV) for the price of a moderate.

Definitely no regrets here, and we are in the process of buying our second points package so we can visit more frequently, or go for a larger room option :)

We have not posted in awhile. We are 4 DVC trips in since buying at the Grand Foridian opening.

We love it.

Every circumstance is different. We traveled to WDW for 18 years. Only the last few as DVC members.

Since joining DVC, my wife and I are talking about spending 3-4 weeks during the winter at WDW and wondering if our older kids will be disappointed our points will be used for that :-)

DVC is becoming part of our retirement plan. That thought would never have happened without DVC.

Just wondering as my finger is itching on the pulse of it.
I'm sure that there is a certain level of impulse buying out there and if you've not done you homework on how a timeshare works, yes, even a Disney timeshare, regret may be the result. You have to fit within the parameters of the timeshare, not the other way around. Example: Plan ahead, know the booking and cancellation windows and more importantly, purchasing the resort where you love to stay the most, and if not, knowing that at the 7 1/2 months window or less, you'll have to take what you can get, if then nothing at all! For me it was a perfect fit, I love it today, more than when I purchased in 1998. AND THE MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, I didn't buy because I thought it would save me money!!!! To the contrary, I go more often, buy yearly passes ...... cha ching :charac2:

I am glad we bought into the "kool-aid" we have used our membership to to fullest. We own at 3 different resorts first being about 3 yrs ago.
First advice I give to possible new members is to research on how it works. I wish I did as I have learned so much more than the CM told us about, on this and other sites/forums. It is advantageous to learn ins n outs prior so you don't have regrets. We have couple family members that might be interested and hopefully they take this advice. Don't be impulsive since it could be costly. Consider resale!!
Second, it does cost $$ and will cost more $$$ to be members for the duration of contract. That's when research comes in again. Flying from Hawaii isn't cheap to go anywhere, then tix and other expenses come into play. You need to have some $$$ to do those things. Lucky for us, we can go to Aulani which is less than an hour away several times a year. Will we get tired of that resort? Don't know but we are enjoying it now. We take family and friends when we can and that makes a great time.
When we travel, we always get 1 bdrm, for convenience of the kitchen to cook simple meals and washer/dryer. It helps with not needing to bring so much luggage, or going out to do laundry. We probably wouldn't be able to acquire these accommodations if not for our DVC. My wife thinks it's is one of our best "investments!"

I too do not regret purchasing my DVC...in the cost of my DVC I have gone to WDW countless times, 3 cruises on points and to the most amazing Aulani (3rd trip coming up in 2 weeks) 3 times! All staying in Deluxe accommodations. I have been totally spoiled with these accommodations, and now refuse to stay at anything less than that...seems petty I know. I price out my rooms after I book them with my points with whatever special they have going at the time, my upcoming Aulani trip would have cost me $4k for the 10 day stay, and I paid only my yearly maintenance fee, which obviously was no where near as close to $4k. I have most definitely gotten my money's worth. Our daughter is away at college, and do not foresee selling the DVC, I just think I would use it less for WDW and more for other destinations. Our neighbors have recently sold their DVC, again like others have mentioned, not because they were unhappy with it, but because their financial situation had changed. They have rented points from other DVC members to be able to still stay at the Deluxe resorts without paying rack rate.

I have read about half of the posts on here and there are many great posts. Reasons to buy are an individual decision and can't really be answered here. There are a few posts that make me wonder why they would even think of buying.
If your spouse says no, then the answer is no.
If you are happy staying offsite, the answer is no.
If you are concerned with MF's, you need to really be honest about deciding your ability to afford DVC.
Don't rush into buying, we had decided to buy after 4 or 5 trips, then we waited another year before buying.
We bought into the BWV in 1998 and have used every point, which is hard for us coming from Washington state. We usually visit every 3 years and spend 14 nights each trip. Our kids and grandkids join us, both DD & DS have DVC memberships of their own, makes for a great vacation.
If we had to stay offsite, we wouldn't make the trip. We love the deluxe resorts and have a great time. The first trip for us in 1992 was fantastic and our kids ages 34 & 37 still love it. That's our story and shouldn't be a benchmark for anyone thinking of buying. Just take your time and think it all the way through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter