• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone regretted becoming a DVC member?

sorry, I am not "buying" what your selling... it's an old argument without merit. the
way I se it.....it isn't for me, but a message to confuse dvc owners/ non rci owners.

the recent thread about a new member buying on the Disney cruise is one of the problems facing
owners...that understand the dvc system. I think most of the problems we have now,
had to do with trust...Disney needed timeshares managers dedicated toward their system,
and what we got, those to tempted by taking advantage & wanting to keep their secrets.

what I expressed, is just one area that could be improved on. if all owners took the
time & look @ the system.....let's say there are "all kinds of improvements begging
to be done." ( the ssr situation for one)

but for here....let's say, you are a dvc upper /level manager....you would have never
tolerated rci traders to be more than one. instead you would be trying for as many
as you can.....so they might buy dvc. the fact, that many other professional timeshares
proudly "stated" -- they wish they never own dvc, but instead using their cheap,
useless rci , while taking rooms that would be for other owners to switch for
......is strong evidenced how bad/shape ... our dvc ruling management is.

got to say, these boards have we taught me as an owner, things I never would have
seen on my own. then there's the e-bay market ... (that makes me anger, how many
illegal traders are being sub/rent.. & dvc has failed their owners ..for permitting
then stealing....rooms, utilities & all the other costs.)
Clearly you still don't understand the system you bought into, how it works or the variables involved. By this time I suspect you never will.

Bill, are you happy with your DVC purchases? We owned two contracts, 300 VWL points and 250 BCV points. We sold both contracts last year because we wanted the cash to purchase equipment for the small hobby farm we recently bought. We're now thinking of purchasing a resale, as we do go to WDW at least once a year, and I only like staying in deluxe resorts, specifically DVC resorts. On our trip this past September, I rented points at BWV for 8 nights, then we switched over to a regular resort room at Wilderness Lodge. I hated staying in that regular room! No mini kitchen, no couch, ugh. I was unhappy. I missed my DVC studio room! After reading your input though, it makes me second guess purchasing DVC again.

When we bought years ago IMO DVC was a different product, Disney seemed to care more about the DVC members. Now I feel that DVC is just another profit center and Disney doesn't spend time or money where they don't have to. They know that they have captured customers and again IMO, do not treat us well. What company puts restrictions on resale buyers to limit them on what they can use their points on? What company makes their customers wait 40 to 60 minutes on telephone hold waiting for service? What company doesn't fix their website? And what's really confusing is that owners pay for everything from cleaning the resort room to paying the wages of the MS CM's. If we pay for all of these things to the tune of millions of dollars per year, why not fix the issues?

If you love the DVC resorts/rooms and DVC will save you some money because no matter what you insist on taking your vacations at Disney and you are willing to put up with poor service then buying can make sense. Just be aware of the possible negatives that may come along with your purchase.

:earsboy: Bill

I was a one time SSR owner and regretted it only from the aspect of we "over bought" (too many points to use comfortably) and we ended up a bit strapped financially at the time. We sold our way out of that at a decent price and are now buying back in with a fully loaded AKV contract at basically the same price we sold SSR for a few years ago. This time we are getting a contract that is the "right size" for us and paying cash, so all should be good!

No regrets about buying. The only regret I'd have is that I didn't buy more a few years ago when resale prices were lower.

Owning DVC has enabled us to stay onsite in deluxe resorts for a lot more days than we ever did compared to booking at a moderate hotel.

When we bought years ago IMO DVC was a different product, Disney seemed to care more about the DVC members. Now I feel that DVC is just another profit center and Disney doesn't spend time or money where they don't have to. They know that they have captured customers and again IMO, do not treat us well. What company puts restrictions on resale buyers to limit them on what they can use their points on? What company makes their customers wait 40 to 60 minutes on telephone hold waiting for service? What company doesn't fix their website? And what's really confusing is that owners pay for everything from cleaning the resort room to paying the wages of the MS CM's. If we pay for all of these things to the tune of millions of dollars per year, why not fix the issues?

If you love the DVC resorts/rooms and DVC will save you some money because no matter what you insist on taking your vacations at Disney and you are willing to put up with poor service then buying can make sense. Just be aware of the possible negatives that may come along with your purchase.

I guess I was hoping you were going to tell me something different, lol. Everything you just stated is why I had no problem selling our DVC contracts. My husband had been after me for a few years to sell them, and I just couldn't do it, but recently I'd become very dissatisfied with many things, so finally agreed to sell. Guess I'll wait a while longer, and continue renting points, until I'm sure of what I'm doing. Thanks for your honest input.

I guess I was hoping you were going to tell me something different, lol. Everything you just stated is why I had no problem selling our DVC contracts. My husband had been after me for a few years to sell them, and I just couldn't do it, but recently I'd become very dissatisfied with many things, so finally agreed to sell. Guess I'll wait a while longer, and continue renting points, until I'm sure of what I'm doing. Thanks for your honest input.
In reality DVC was never as good as many thought it was and it isn't as bad as some thing it is now. But it is a business and a timeshare and people need to understand what that means considering the risks and benefits. I remember all the gnashing of teeth with the first OKW points reallocation because some bought to stay in cheap rooms as snowbirds and now they didn't have enough to do so. It was right there in the contract, any reasonable person should have known it was a risk.

I became a DVC member at the Grand Floridian a few months ago. After just going through the experience, I do have some take-aways. First, do NOT finance it. It's a luxury to pay for a bunch of vacations up front, and if you cannot afford the entire price either upfront or paid off within the first year, then just wait until you can afford it. Second, the annual dues (taxes) are BRUTAL. This was something that was not clearly explained to me. The annual passes for 4 people plus the annual dues for me are over $4,000.00 alone. That could be a vacation in itself! Third, you need to book your vacation at least 7 months in advance to make sure the availability is there for you (at your home resort) before the masses. Fourth, do not become a DVC member with the intent of using your points frequently outside of Disney property.

Remember, Disney is a VERY smart company. They are making money hand over fist off of the DVC members. However, if you can see yourself and your family going to Disney annually for the next 50 years or so and you can afford it, becoming a DVC member is worth the investment.

I don't have regrets, per say...I more miss the dwindling perks that used to be more commonplace.

One thing I always try to impress upon those considering purchasing is how much the dues may eventually cost, per point toward the end of the contract.

For example: BLT may well be $20 per point for the dues at the end of the contract...

I don't have regrets, per say...I more miss the dwindling perks that used to be more commonplace.

One thing I always try to impress upon those considering purchasing is how much the dues may eventually cost, per point toward the end of the contract.

For example: BLT may well be $20 per point for the dues at the end of the contract...
Historically I don't think there's been a decrease in perks long term, just an ebb and flow over the years.

Guys,
I think we all have different perspectives based on our own experiences. I think each one of us (and our variables like financial stability, vacation we can get from our jobs, kids, etc) will answer this question differently. I have worked for several public traded companies and will try to give a little perspective of that, which hopefully can marry up with your personal situation to give you an answer fit for you.
Disney, as a public company, has it's first and foremost loyalty to the shareholders. They will either find ways to generate more revenue and/or cut cost to maximize that value. It is also no surprise that C level execs have their comps tied to the market in terms of bonuses and options.
That said, DVC is a product that (I think) generates low to mid term value for them when compared to their main revenue stream (entertainment). Their revenue for DVC can at most have a linear growth or even flatline, so cutting cost would not be out of the question. If this has happened over the past few years, it may explain why the old timer DVC holders have a negative perspective now.
In today's world, if you go with the expectation that you will get a "good to excellent" room, with excellent service, some fringe benefits but with some capital locked in and yearly recurring expenses coming out of your pocket, I think you would (I do) love buying in. If your expectations are as they would have been a few years ago, or are buying points based on other people's old experiences, you may regret it.
P.S. Sorry for the long commentary. :thanks:

They've dwindled.
Historically I don't see it. I've owned since 1994 and they've gone up and down. Now if one happened to buy at a time when the AP special was available, they might see it that way but that would not be accurate generally speaking. The list of dining discounts is larger than it's ever been for example.

your opinion is not a good point, as in facts. i read here frequently but do not respond all
the time. you hold yourself as an expert but i think-nothing about a "cover". your timeshares
should be stop from booking dvc 4/5 times a year. the reasons for doing this is
self evident. it is liked you told another poster, you wished "not owning" even one dvc. nor
was it missed, about not giving direct answers to issues-like one reason for permitting
any more than one trade in per rci timeshares. for ex., when you take 4/5 rooms per
year....how bout sharing with the timeshares owners?

curious...where do you own? was it resale? and how many points? how many
rci timeshares do you own? and the main reason is for trading in for dvc
rooms. it like "this"..if you are going to wdw 5/6 times per year, does not
leave any time for any where else?...& what is the dvc benefit?/ ,based on
a previous posting... your reasons for using dvc rooms 4/5 times a year......& not wanting
to own dvc? how you been an dvc worker & how long ?

oh, i do ever expect dvc--to
set a restriction and/or a standard without being able to enforced it. dvc is able
to stop the stealing and they do not. but it isn't their $- but owners dues- so there is a
way to hold them accountable for wasting $. if they did this right, dues would drop
next year.

sloppy, sloppy management......i just listed a few. dvc needs a new direction,
because they are costing owners too much. what i added to this post, were the things
i am "regretting dvc"---it kills me to figure how this system is wasting true owners
$$$. but his "intent".....is understandable..."cos" the same waste is effecting your
personal goals/interests? however, i will make this point "clear"...this is a business &
nothing personal to you. furthermore, when i look at the waste...first, i ask
myself....are there actions/corrective measures within dvc power? then when i
sat back- to take in the whole picture "in"--- it is self evident..."why" dvc does
not even when the wrongful actions...are costing them too. ( esp.,
when i read, how the expert here, expressing that buying dvc was much
too costly instead using all his other timeshares. ) i believe you when you
posted that, and even made a copy. but i think it also reflected on being
an expert.

maybe just a tab off the subject, but it address the reason why you are failing.
it has to do with a principle to practice mental heath ,( what a great world
of knowledge that too many ignore..too bad. ) any hooter, no person has
the power to control another...but one can "influence" others to help you reach
your life goals. here's the catch....the best way to influence others..is a
" positive" action, not negative. give me positive reasons ....for paying dues
for others illegally staying @ dvc rooms. i can give many reasons about
the other issues too, & what i am expecting.

Guys,
I think we all have different perspectives based on our own experiences. I think each one of us (and our variables like financial stability, vacation we can get from our jobs, kids, etc) will answer this question differently. I have worked for several public traded companies and will try to give a little perspective of that, which hopefully can marry up with your personal situation to give you an answer fit for you.
Disney, as a public company, has it's first and foremost loyalty to the shareholders. They will either find ways to generate more revenue and/or cut cost to maximize that value. It is also no surprise that C level execs have their comps tied to the market in terms of bonuses and options.
That said, DVC is a product that (I think) generates low to mid term value for them when compared to their main revenue stream (entertainment). Their revenue for DVC can at most have a linear growth or even flatline, so cutting cost would not be out of the question. If this has happened over the past few years, it may explain why the old timer DVC holders have a negative perspective now.
In today's world, if you go with the expectation that you will get a "good to excellent" room, with excellent service, some fringe benefits but with some capital locked in and yearly recurring expenses coming out of your pocket, I think you would (I do) love buying in. If your expectations are as they would have been a few years ago, or are buying points based on other people's old experiences, you may regret it.
P.S. Sorry for the long commentary. :thanks:

IMO Disney makes more money on DVC than we think. They continue to convert cash rooms to DVC losing the cash revenue for Disney Resorts and instead making millions of dollars now selling DVC contracts.

What I still don't understand is if DVC owners are paying for all of the DVC operating and refurb costs, why not provide a better product and service?

rci timeshares do you own?

I know this rant was mainly directed at Dean, but it's a little insulting for someone to accuse anyone who understands the DVC and RCI system of being a secret DVC non-owner. For the record, I own four DVC contracts at three resorts, don't own a single RCI contract and travel to WDW three times a year. And I have a pretty thorough understanding of how the system works, and definitely enough of an understanding to know that the RCI "problems" you keep bringing up, aren't actually problems with the DVC or RCI systems at all.

We bought our BWV points resale about eight years ago. I think it's been a good thing for us….we were doing deluxe Disney vacations nearly every year even before kids. We paid cash. That year my husband got a very generous bonus at his job. We put some away for kids college, we paid off our cars and we used some for the DVC contract. Our dues are about $1500 per year these days. It's not a hardship to pay them. We don't mind planning in advance either. I've never been shut out of where I want to stay. The kids always want to go and we have done family vacations that just would not have happened (Grand villa with my parents and brother's family) otherwise.

That said, at this point I am wishing we had a slightly smaller contract (maybe 200 points instead of 250) because for our needs it would have been just fine. But whatever. Plus I am definitely getting the itch to do something else. But my kids are small and they picked Disney yet again this year, so VGF here we come.

Historically I don't see it. I've owned since 1994 and they've gone up and down. Now if one happened to buy at a time when the AP special was available, they might see it that way but that would not be accurate generally speaking. The list of dining discounts is larger than it's ever been for example.

Many of the same discounts are now given as "magical extras" to those booking a room with rack / discounted rates. So not really exclusive to DVC.

your opinion is not a good point, as in facts. i read here frequently but do not respond all
the time. you hold yourself as an expert but i think-nothing about a "cover". your timeshares
should be stop from booking dvc 4/5 times a year. the reasons for doing this is
self evident. it is liked you told another poster, you wished "not owning" even one dvc. nor
was it missed, about not giving direct answers to issues-like one reason for permitting
any more than one trade in per rci timeshares. for ex., when you take 4/5 rooms per
year....how bout sharing with the timeshares owners?

rci timeshares do you own? and the main reason is for trading in for dvc
rooms. it like "this"..if you are going to wdw 5/6 times per year, does not
leave any time for any where else?...& what is the dvc benefit?/ ,based on
a previous posting... your reasons for using dvc rooms 4/5 times a year......& not wanting
to own dvc? how you been an dvc worker & how long ?

oh, i do ever expect dvc--to
set a restriction and/or a standard without being able to enforced it. dvc is able
to stop the stealing and they do not. but it isn't their $- but owners dues- so there is a
way to hold them accountable for wasting $. if they did this right, dues would drop
next year.

sloppy, sloppy management......i just listed a few. dvc needs a new direction,
because they are costing owners too much. what i added to this post, were the things
i am "regretting dvc"---it kills me to figure how this system is wasting true owners
$$$. but his "intent".....is understandable..."cos" the same waste is effecting your
personal goals/interests? however, i will make this point "clear"...this is a business &
nothing personal to you. furthermore, when i look at the waste...first, i ask
myself....are there actions/corrective measures within dvc power? then when i
sat back- to take in the whole picture "in"--- it is self evident..."why" dvc does
not even when the wrongful actions...are costing them too. ( esp.,
when i read, how the expert here, expressing that buying dvc was much
too costly instead using all his other timeshares. ) i believe you when you
posted that, and even made a copy. but i think it also reflected on being
an expert.

maybe just a tab off the subject, but it address the reason why you are failing.
it has to do with a principle to practice mental heath ,( what a great world
of knowledge that too many ignore..too bad. ) any hooter, no person has
the power to control another...but one can "influence" others to help you reach
your life goals. here's the catch....the best way to influence others..is a
" positive" action, not negative. give me positive reasons ....for paying dues
for others illegally staying @ dvc rooms. i can give many reasons about
the other issues too, & what i am expecting.
You clearly don't understand the system, and your posts are difficult to impossible to read (this is better than most). You never engage in dialog, only keep posting the same vague accusations. You clearly ignore the fact that RCI only gets the units DVC gives to them, they are not available to DVC members directly no matter who gets them. I continue to wonder why you are a member since you accused dvc of lying to you on the buy and everything is a conspiracy in your view. If anyone wanted to contact me directly with specific questions, I'd be happy to discuss any of these issues. If it matters I was one of the first, if not the first non family, resale buyer back in 94.

Many of the same discounts are now given as "magical extras" to those booking a room with rack / discounted rates. So not really exclusive to DVC.
What other perks are there or what perks are you referring to. the only one that comes to mind that could be reference in such a way was the valet parking which had to go given the realities.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter