• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone rearranged furnitures in the stateroom?

dreamlover

Earning My Ears
I have a stupid question. Has anyone rearranged furnitures in the stateroom to make the room bigger to walk around? I found the category 11 room a bit small to accomodate 4 people. I was thinking of maybe rearranging the furniture. Is this allowed at all? Do you have any pictures?

Personally, we're not in our room often enough to want to make those types of changes. We're usually there to either change or sleep.

What were you thinking of moving? My gut reaction is that only the bed and the nightstands could be moved, but I've never tried the remaining furniture. I don't think you would have much to gain by moving either of these. The couch and closets are definitely fixed. I guess that would only leave the drawers/mirror area. I'm pretty sure that would be secured in place, even if it could be moved, where would you put it? When my DS was an infant, our room steward removed the coffee table for the duration of one of our cruises. Maybe that would help? I don't think I'm creative enough to redesign the cat 11 stateroom.

Good luck,
Jennifer

I can't imagine how you could re-arrange the Cat 11. There is nowhere else to put the couch other than where it is.

Here is what we did, with a family of 4 in a Cat 11:

Everyone knows that if you are the first one walking in to the room, you keep walking to the back (the bed) and sit down there.
You sit down somewhere if there isn't something urgent that you need to do (i.e. use the bathroom)
Only one person tries to move around in the stateroom at any one time.
In general, kids sit on the couch, and Mom and Dad sit on the bed.
NEVER leave anything on the floor in the walkway area between the couch and the table.
Put everything away as it's your turn to walk around - shoes in the closet, KTTW card, sunglasses etc. in the storage holder, etc.

We found our stateroom cosy and welcoming, as long as we followed these simple rules and kept things relatively tidy. It seemed like every time we came back to it (which was only a few times a day) it was always transformed due to the expert care of the room steward, which always made it seem fresh and new all over again. It's hard to get frustrated with the size when you are distracted by the latest towel animal and pleased that the bunk bed has been magically put away or brought back down again.

Won't help with a cat 11, but for those with a verandah, you can ask them to remove the little table on the deck. Esp if you are worried about kids climbing and/or want a little extra space out there. But then where would you put your little umbrella drink?:confused3 :laughing:

What my sister and I did was seperate the beds into twins. Move both of the nightstands between the beds. (Might not be very romantic, but in a room that small...) Move the coffee table between the end of the dresser and bed. That made it feel like we had more room. And when we needed the coffee table for room service, we just pullled the table back out.

I was wondering if they could put BOTH nightstands between the beds? I'd seen photos with only one between and that space seemed so tight. Did you do this in a cat 11, where the head of the bed is on the back wall? Did this put the beds up against a wall on each side with the 'doublewide nightstand' space in between? I think that's a great idea, though it might make making up the beds a little more difficult for the steward (a little extra tip might be in order then).

We have a Cat 5 for our trip in four weeks and my sister in law decided to join little sister and I. I was thinking about splitting the queen (even though my sister and I would have no problem sharing it) and wondered how it would make the space feel with the two nightstands in the middle for that catagory configuration. :confused3

I was wondering if they could put BOTH nightstands between the beds? I'd seen photos with only one between and that space seemed so tight. Did you do this in a cat 11, where the head of the bed is on the back wall? Did this put the beds up against a wall on each side with the 'doublewide nightstand' space in between? I think that's a great idea, though it might make making up the beds a little more difficult for the steward (a little extra tip might be in order then).

We have a Cat 5 for our trip in four weeks and my sister in law decided to join little sister and I. I was thinking about splitting the queen (even though my sister and I would have no problem sharing it) and wondered how it would make the space feel with the two nightstands in the middle for that catagory configuration. :confused3

We always book a Category 11 for my two DD's and this is how they have the room set up. Both twins on the walls and the two nightstands in the middle between them. Works nicely...more room to walk and get dressed.

That is exactly what we did. Push the beds up to the walls and night stands in between. The room steward did not have any issues with this, we asked her. Lots of room that way. You could walk around with bumping into each other or the furniture.

Thanks kids! I have a Cat 11 for the Westbound PC cruise solo and I thought I might end up having to share to defray some of the cost. So it's good to know I can get better 'separation' between the beds!

The best way to get more space in a cat 11 is to request one of the SIDEWAYS ones on Deck 5 or Deck 6 forward. They are rotated 90 degrees so you enter in the "couch' area rather than between the bathroom and closet. It's the type we've had on both our cruises and was the hit of the stateroom tour on our recent cruise. The Sideways Cat 11s really seem more spacious and you have a steamer trunk for storage. You also have space between the closet and bath to store luggage (or a wheelchair) out of the way. I think these are definitely the best value on the ship. Don't know if they have the bunk bed though so they may only sleep three.

We just got off the DVC cruise last week and had a sideways room - 5013. We loved it. The extra room was very nice. We've booked a sideways room again for our 10/08 cruise.

Acourtwdw: Glad you posted. We enjoyed talking to you and your sister.

Jan

What my sister and I did was seperate the beds into twins. Move both of the nightstands between the beds. (Might not be very romantic, but in a room that small...) Move the coffee table between the end of the dresser and bed. That made it feel like we had more room. And when we needed the coffee table for room service, we just pullled the table back out.

ITA - this florr plan really opens up the Cat 11. Makes it feel extremely spacious, but not very romantic. You just have to decide which is more important; romance or open space.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter