• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone read Michener's Caribbean novel prior to sailing?

aboveH20

DIS Veteran
Last year prior to going to Aulani I read a post where someone recommended some pre-trip reading including "Hawaii" by James Michener. I read it (took forever!) but I'm sure it gave me a better appreciation for Hawaii and especially the people of Hawaii, and we visited Iolani Palace due to it.

I completely forgot that I also have "Caribbean" by Michener. No way I'll get through 660 pages in 11 days:dance3: and too big of a book to take with me, but since it's such an investment of time, just wondering . . . has anyone read it and did you like it?

I haven't read it, but I do enjoy his writing. I have 438 days until our next cruise so I should have plenty of time to read it. :) Thanks for the suggestion!

Just ordered it for my Kindle!!! Was looking for a good book to read before our cruise in March and this sounds like something I would like!! Thanks,pirate:

MJ

It's been awhile but I read it...and Alaska while on our cruise there!

I haven't read it, but I do enjoy his writing. I have 438 days until our next cruise so I should have plenty of time to read it. :) Thanks for the suggestion!

After reading "Hawaii" I read his biography (maybe autobiography, I forget) -- also an interesting read.

Just ordered it for my Kindle!!! Was looking for a good book to read before our cruise in March and this sounds like something I would like!! Thanks,pirate:

MJ

Good idea. I just checked to see if they have it for iPad, which I don't think is available. :sad:

It's been awhile but I read it...and Alaska while on our cruise there!

Wow. I'm impressed. A good book can be so satisfying. I guess I'll start "Caribbean" and see how far I get. Or I could go chip some ice off the driveway . . . tough choice.

Reading "Alaska" sounds like a good reason to go back, and if I start now I have hope of finishing.

Off topic, but I like playing Randy Newman's "The Great Nations of Europe" on my Ipod whenever we enter or leave a Caribbean port.

I haven't read the book, but Michner is a good writer and I will try to read it before our next cruise.

MUN

Off topic, but I like playing Randy Newman's "The Great Nations of Europe" on my Ipod whenever we enter or leave a Caribbean port.

I haven't read the book, but Michner is a good writer and I will try to read it before our next cruise.

MUN

I'll check it out. Being of the silver haired generation I'm always surprised when I can do anything technological, so I was quite pleased with myself when I treated my husband to "Rocky Mountain High" as we flew over Colorado once.

I lived in Bucks County PA for years, and visited the Museum there and read many of Michener's novels. His Poland gave me insights into my Polish heritage.

I lived in Bucks County PA for years, and visited the Museum there and read many of Michener's novels. His Poland gave me insights into my Polish heritage.

My in laws were from Philadelphia, but as an army brat my husband doesn't really consider Philadelphia his hometown. However, we went to Sesame Place many times when our sons were younger when we visited the grandparents. They loved it!

I read Leon Uris's "Trinity" after visiting Ireland and I always thought I would have appreciated the country more if I had read it ahead of time. Guess it's about time to reread it and plan another trip! :thumbsup2

Our string of below freezing days isn't conducive to much other than cracking open a book, so I took the plunge today and have only 650 more pages to go! :tilt: I studied the map of the Caribbean quite a bit before reading and am embarrassed to admit that had I been given a blank map I don't think I could have named too many of the countries correctly. No matter how much reading I finish, at the very least I've got some geography under my belt.

I started reading it on my Kindle and was a little daunted when it said I had 32 hours of book left to read. That is the longest I have ever seen on any books on my kindle. Usually they are about 5 or 6 hours long.:cold: Freezing here as well!!!

MJ

My in laws were from Philadelphia, but as an army brat my husband doesn't really consider Philadelphia his hometown. However, we went to Sesame Place many times when our sons were younger when we visited the grandparents. They loved it!

I read Leon Uris's "Trinity" after visiting Ireland and I always thought I would have appreciated the country more if I had read it ahead of time. Guess it's about time to reread it and plan another trip! :thumbsup2

Hi! My oldest son worked as a lifeguard in Sesame Place in the '90's!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter