Has anyone played the Grocery Game?

http://www.thegrocerygame.com/

Has anyone done this? Does it really save you money? Or do you just end up stockpiling things you don't need?

I did this for a while and found I had a stock pile of products I would not ordinarily buy anyway. If your not picky about what you use/eat, then its great. I don't like clutter and stockpiling made me crazy. As far as saving money, my experience was that in the beginning you really didn't see much of a savings, but as time goes by you do. Still, it wasn't worth it for me with having a ton of products I just didn't want/need/use. I wound up giving a lot of stuff away just to get rid of it. I did try a while of just doing the game for things I KNEW I would use, but in the end it was more trouble than it was worth IMO.

I have been using couponmom.com and I like it. I simple take the information she has compiled for my store and buy what we need. I combine the store sales with the coupons on her site. It takes me about 5 minutes to go through the list and print the info and it is free. I am sure there are better ways to do it, but it works for me.

I've tried gg a couple of times and just can't do it. I don't like to stockpile a ton of stuff, either. They also didn't have a store close to me, so it wasn't the best. They don't have wal-mart on there, which seems crazy to me.

I use the grocery game, and I love it. I have been doing it for about a year and one half now and it has saved me tons. I used to pay almost $900/month on groceries and such and now I am down to around $400/month. We are a family of 5 and I could not be happier with it.

I love GG too! I have been doing it over a year and have almost cut our grocery bill in half.

We use it and love it. You just have to learn that just because cake mix is .30 you really don't need 12 boxes of it. It's easy to get carried away with the processed food because you can get it so cheaply. This morning my husband went to Publix with my GG list and stocked up on cereal, juice boxes, tea and a few other things. He got $80+ worth of stuff for under $30.

I love the Grocery game! I think the key is to stockpile things that your family will use. Just because something is on sale for a great price doesn't mean I buy it. I buy things that we use or things that we would like to try out. I have noticed that we aren't making emergency grocery trips because we don't have a specific ingredient. We have tons of things to choose from. Also, if you plan your meals around what is on sale you can really save a ton!

I've done the GG in the past but not for a very long time. I just moved to Atlanta and found a gal that blogs about the deals in our local grocery stores w/ coupons, etc. There's also another site that I look at called Be Cents Able (just google it to get the website) and they offer a lot of good couponing/shopping advice.

I have been doing the Grocery Game for 3 years now, and can't imagine shopping any other way. I plan menus out of my stockpile, and only buy things we will use. The trial is only $1 just remember to cancel if your not satisfied.

I forgot to mention that I'm the only picky eater out of my family of 5, and that makes GG a lot easier.

I love the Grocery game! I think the key is to stockpile things that your family will use. Just because something is on sale for a great price doesn't mean I buy it. I buy things that we use or things that we would like to try out. I have noticed that we aren't making emergency grocery trips because we don't have a specific ingredient. We have tons of things to choose from. Also, if you plan your meals around what is on sale you can really save a ton!

Your absolutely right. The mistake I made is thinking we would try some new things, but we are creatures of habit and pretty much stick with the same selection of items.

We hardly ever buy processed foods. DS is in culinary school and I think he'd die if brought something processed in the house, so we don't get caught in that trap. If you think about it, that itself cuts out about 90% of the grocery store right there. I think its been 8-10 years since I've eaten a stinking potato chip! Soda, canned goods, boxes of noodle mixes, frozen foods...all stuff we don't really use. Most of my money is spent at the butcher and farmer's market...so I guess that is why the savings was not really too abundant for me to make it worthwhile, but I realize we're probably the exception and not the norm with the way we eat,.

Ive tried it for a while, its easier for me to just find the coupons for products I use most

I signed up for the trial a couple weeks ago, but i am not sure if i will keep it. I may end up doing 1 store.. to see how it goes for a few months. I didn't really find out any info from my list that i wouldn't have figured out just on my own looking at the store sales flyer and my coupons.. plus we are also creatures of habit and tend to eat the same types of things..
But, i love to get a bargin, so i could see how i could get carried away and end up spending more money on things i wouldn't use..

Your absolutely right. The mistake I made is thinking we would try some new things, but we are creatures of habit and pretty much stick with the same selection of items.

We hardly ever buy processed foods. DS is in culinary school and I think he'd die if brought something processed in the house, so we don't get caught in that trap. If you think about it, that itself cuts out about 90% of the grocery store right there. I think its been 8-10 years since I've eaten a stinking potato chip! Soda, canned goods, boxes of noodle mixes, frozen foods...all stuff we don't really use. Most of my money is spent at the butcher and farmer's market...so I guess that is why the savings was not really too abundant for me to make it worthwhile, but I realize we're probably the exception and not the norm with the way we eat,.

I've gotten great deals on toilet paper, medicines, razors, cleaning supplies, meat, laundry detergent, paper towels, condiments, cheese, sour cream... so on and so forth. So it isn't all soda, canned goods or boxed things. In fact I have a cabinet full of toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner and mouth wash that I got for FREE. Of course if you are very brand loyal it would be harder to do. It lets me save money on those sorts of things so that I have more to spend on organic fruits/veggies, meats and milk.

I've gotten great deals on toilet paper, medicines, razors, cleaning supplies, meat, laundry detergent, paper towels, condiments, cheese, sour cream... so on and so forth. So it isn't all soda, canned goods or boxed things. In fact I have a cabinet full of toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner and mouth wash that I got for FREE. Of course if you are very brand loyal it would be harder to do. It lets me save money on those sorts of things so that I have more to spend on organic fruits/veggies, meats and milk.

Oh I know...and that is the stuff that I stockpiled too. I have so many razors, shampoos, body washes, toothpaste and all the other non-food items. I hate clutter though and having so much of these items that they clogged up my closets, pantry and medicine cabinets...made me crazy. I gave a lot of those things away when I just did a major clean out. My family and friends were very happy to be the recipients of my grocery game goodies. Like I said, works for some folks, but not for us with our food likes and just our lifestyle in general. As someone else said, it is easier for me just to clip coupons for the items I use. I would recommend other folks try it just to see for themselves and really its so cheap its silly not to, but for us it didn't really do much.

Hehe, yeah my family has gotten a number of "goodie bags". I've found it helpful for always having things on hand to donate to food pantries as well. :)

I donate my excess quantities too. My glucose meters that I get at CVS for free go to my local shelters and our local volunteer fire people and ambulance people. Also, all of my neighbors and friends know who to come to when they need something at the last minute that they forgot to get at the store!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter