Has anyone out there rented their points on the board and/or bought a re-sale?!!

Debs Hill

DIS Veteran
We are looking to do two things and need some help!
1) we want to buy some more points and are looking at re-sale
2) we may want to rent some of our points on the board.

I would love to hear from anyone who has done either one! When you rented, how did you get the money from the people that were renting your points?! Was the re-sale add on as easy as buying from Disney?

Please help! Many thanks

Can't help with the renting points part I afraid, although I would be interested to know myself.

I can be more help with the resale part. We bought our initial contract resale, but I'm sure an add-on is no different. It isn't quite as easy as buying straight from Disney, but it isn't difficult either. So if it will end up saving some money, it's worth considering. The main problems are that the brokers may not accept a credit card payment, so you have to transfer the money over to them from your bank account. Unfortunately, though this is very easy to do - just requires a form to filled in, both your bank and the US bank receiving the money will charge you about £25 each for the priviledge! And if you pay the deposit and balance separately, this does add up. :( Or you can send a dollar cheque through the post!!

The other thing is you pay to send any documents back by post, but I managed to find a good postal rate through the Post Office, which didn't cost too much, about £5 and offered decent insurance. Access to a fax machine is very useful and being able to use email is a great help if you've got any questions.

HTH

I've rented out points to people who I've become friends with after meeting them through the boards, but I haven't "cold rented" to someone I didn't know personally. I don't think I'd rent to anyone from the US, again unless I knew them personally, because there are a number of difficulties in "accounting" the transaction and IMHO the risk of them cancelling last minute is greater than a Brit. I'd be a little more happy to rent to people from the UK, because we have to plan ahead a great deal more and if you have a photocopy of their flight tickets, IMHO unless there is a major problem, they are unlikely to back out. I know that either you would have a deposit ( or even a payment) and that at worst your points would go back into a "holding account" but personally if someone had a tragedy ( and the synical part of me says that any late cancelation would come with an explaination of some type of tragedy, real or not) I would try to repay them any money they had given me. I'm then left with the agg of having to cancel a booking, organise the points and use them with whatever restrictions would go on them. Potentially it's a lot of work.

I do tend to be fairly well organised , so I know if I'm likely to have spare points ( not very often LOL). As there is ALWAYS someone I know planning a trip I've been able to keep it to people I know. It's unlikely that you're going to have enough points to rent out to someone for a 2 week holiday, but as a lot of people like the idea of spending just a little time on site, it's a cheap way for them to get a top quality hotel ( if you book for them a Sunday to Thursday stay) and it's unlikely to use up too many of your points. I've also rented points out for people to stay at Vero Beach for a couple of nights, again this works well if they want a few days at the beach at a really nice resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter