Has anyone on here had a baby as the result of failed "permanent" birth control?

LoveBWVVBR

DIS Veteran
I'm mostly curious about how common failed vasectomies are in reality. I'm still trying to decide if I should go through with a tubal ligation during my planned c-section with this baby. DH will also be having a vasectomy. I absolutely know that we do NOT want more children after #2 is born. I seem to be very fertile, and I'm terrified of "just" going with a vasectomy. I just want to see how many first-hand stories of "permanent" birth control failure are out there...maybe that will help me make up my mind.

I just delivered a baby about 6-7 months ago of a failed vasectomy.....
and yes, he had went back for his check up.
:confused3

The baby I lost was concieved 2 years after DH vasectomy. Yep. He went back for checkups too.

Sometimes, too, you wonder how the vasectomy was done. I know there are several procedures. My DH's doctor snipped, cauterized and tied.

They do tell you to come back and check for swimmers and I see a lot of stories where the guys didn't bother and just assumed they were fine when in reality they weren't. I read the PP story and I suppose that can happen depending on the procedure.

I guess I'd ask your DH's doctor how they plan to do it.

I would like to know also how often this happens. I think I'm the odd ball, that wishes it would. DH had a vasectomy after baby #2 and I know we won't reverse it.. but I wouldn't mind a little accident either. He doesn't want anymore though.. but I love babies.

I think a vas is pretty permanent as long as you follow through with getting sperm counts along the way. When you hear of a vas failing, it is often because the man never went back to make sure all the little dudes were dead and gone.

I was wondering this myself. DH has decided to have his done just as soon as the twins are born. Everyone under the sun has been telling me that they know of someone who got pregnant after it. I planned on going on some form of long term birthcontrol as well. Those of you that did get pregnant after the vas were you also on some sort of birth control as well at the time?

My dh had one a little over two years ago so far so good. He did go his check ups too.

dlrhine Omg the baby pain came back to me last night. I so want another one but dh says he's not reversing his either. He told me to wait and I'll get over it again:rotfl:

Dh's brother just became a father again this month. He had his v done 10 years ago but everyone in the family thinks its not his (she did have an affair).

Dh droctor cut, burned ,tied, and put metal clips.

My nephew was born after a failed Vasectomy. Same as others, my BIL was rechecked after. My sister had a tubal right after he was born.

I knew that when I got pregnant with my DD. She is our third and we knew we were done. So, I had a tubal. I was having a c/s so, it was a very easy decision for me.

I have to say, I regretted it in the beginning. I love the newborn stage. But, the regret soon went away. I reminded myself that as much as I adore my children...a newborn would eventually be a 7,4, etc year old. :rotfl:

DD is 4 now and I am very happy with my decision.

DH had a vas and went back and was clean for all his check ups. :) But no more babies for us.

The doctor did say to us that nothing is 100% (other than abstinence) and the body will sometimes heal itself and the tubes may grow back together.

So, we know it's always a remote possibility.

Since you are concerned about the failure rate of TLs, all of the above failures are vasectomy failures.

I had the TL after a CS, and my doctor said that it was better doing it that way because it was not being done laproscopically - but with everything in "full view" and accessible. I believe that the failure rate of a TL after a CS is even less than that a regular TL.

Good Luck! I know that it is nerve wracking and there are no guarantees in life, but I am very glad that I did this 15 years ago and would do it again in a heartbeat. :)

I would like to know also how often this happens. I think I'm the odd ball, that wishes it would. DH had a vasectomy after baby #2 and I know we won't reverse it.. but I wouldn't mind a little accident either. He doesn't want anymore though.. but I love babies.

Well, considering how many people do get them reversed, I don't think you're all that odd!!! When DH was in the Army and we had 2 little kids and I was finishing college so I could start a career, we were SURE we didn't want any more kids. He went through the counseling, scheduled the procedure, and asked how they do it. Well, apparently the military docs need to stay in practice with both methods, and you just get what you get, so knowing he might get the kind that can't get reversed, he backed out at the last minute. THANK GOD HE DID!!! :cool1:

Since you are concerned about the failure rate of TLs, all of the above failures are vasectomy failures.

I had the TL after a CS, and my doctor said that it was better doing it that way because it was not being done laproscopically - but with everything in "full view" and accessible. I believe that the failure rate of a TL after a CS is even less than that a regular TL.

Good Luck! I know that it is nerve wracking and there are no guarantees in life, but I am very glad that I did this 15 years ago and would do it again in a heartbeat. :)
I agree, and this is why I had the TL. I know there is the risk of failure with it too, but I have always heard of more people getting pregnant after the vasectomy than the TL. Just my experience.

I was looking for permanent, LOL. I also would do it again in a heartbeat. It has been 14 years for me.

I do wonder, though, how may 'failed' vasectomies are the result of a 'failed' sample (ie: not transporting the sample properly or quickly enough to the lab). :confused3

I agree, and this is why I had the TL. I know there is the risk of failure with it too, but I have always heard of more people getting pregnant after the vasectomy than the TL. Just my experience.

I was looking for permanent, LOL. I also would do it again in a heartbeat. It has been 14 years for me.

I'm looking for something fully permanent too. That's why I'm considering the TL at all. I didn't know that the TL done during a c-section had an even better success rate! That is definitely food for thought.

I do wonder, though, how may 'failed' vasectomies are the result of a 'failed' sample (ie: not transporting the sample properly or quickly enough to the lab). :confused3

I dont think this would matter, even if you got it to the lab late you'd still see the dead sperm. :confused3

Ya'll WOULD be talking about this today!:rolleyes:
I had a TL with Filshie clips after my last was born almost 6 years ago.

Last night I woke up from a dead sleep hyperventilating. Why?

I dreamed I was pregnant. :eek: With twins. :scared1:

I know it would be miraculous, but they would have to commit me to the insane asylum.

I am super fertile. Dh could be in the other room and I'd get pregnant. None of our three children were planned.:rolleyes1

He wouldn't get a Vas, so I knew I had to do something, otherwise I'd end up like that Duggar lady in Arkansas. And I'm NOT talking about her hair-do, either.:rolleyes1

Jo

A few months ago, Dr. Oz (on Oprah) talked about "failed" vasectomies.

He said that some men have more than two (or is it four) of the vas deferens. Some men have extra but they don't check for this as it is kind of rare. So if you have 5 or 6 vas deferens and they only cut 4 then you're in trouble.

I knew I had to do something, otherwise I'd end up like that Duggar lady in Arkansas. And I'm NOT talking about her hair-do, either.:rolleyes1

Jo
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Got any blouses with huge collars to team up with corduroy jumpers in your closet? No? I think you're probably safe. :thumbsup2

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Got any blouses with huge collars to team up with corduroy jumpers in your closet? No? I think you're probably safe. :thumbsup2

:laughing:
as an aside, I did live in AR at one time, and actually, my Ob-GYN was Duggar's Dr. as well. Anytime I called and was told the Dr was booked, my reply was "Oh, is it time for another Duggar baby to be born?"

:rotfl:

Jo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter