Has anyone here taken the buses from Tokyo metropolitan area to TDR?

gk90

Mom to Sorcerer Mickey fan and Donald's #1 fan!
Looking at TDR website I see a page for bus service from train stations in the Tokyo metropolitan area to TDR: http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/tdr/english/plan/access/index.html

The fares look reasonable; we only have time for 1 day at TDR :sad2: but all the incredible reviews of DisneySea make it look like a must-do. We're staying in Shinjuku so the bus service looks like a logical option. Just wondering whether anyone here has taken it and what the experience was like?

If using the rail service to get to Maihama station is an intimidating prospect, I would suggest the bus. They are clean but can be uncomfortable if crowded. But, then again, so can the train.

I'm looking at the TDR link to rail transport and it says that Shinjuku to Maihama is 40 minutes by rail and 50 minutes by bus--do those numbers sound realistic?

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/tdr/english/plan/access/accs_shinjuku.html

As far as I can tell from their chart they're saying that it's 14 minutes from Shinjuku to Tokyo and 15 minutes from Tokyo to Maihama which presumably allows 11 minutes to walk thru Tokyo station and transfer from 1 train line to another?

If it were just me I'd definitely do the train but the kids might get freaked out by Tokyo train rush hour traffic.

I'm looking at the TDR link to rail transport and it says that Shinjuku to Maihama is 40 minutes by rail and 50 minutes by bus--do those numbers sound realistic?

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/tdr/english/plan/access/accs_shinjuku.html

As far as I can tell from their chart they're saying that it's 14 minutes from Shinjuku to Tokyo and 15 minutes from Tokyo to Maihama which presumably allows 11 minutes to walk thru Tokyo station and transfer from 1 train line to another?

If it were just me I'd definitely do the train but the kids might get freaked out by Tokyo train rush hour traffic.

40 minutes sounds about right. The walk in Tokyo Station to the line that takes you to Disneyland--starts with a K, is QUITE the walk. But there are moving sidewalks and escalators to help you along, not to mention lots of Disney billboards. I think your kids would have a lot more fun on the trains than the bus. Are you going during "rush hour?" I'd avoid it if at all possible, real rush hour is outrageous and wouldn't recommend, but I've only been through that in the early mornings going into Tokyo itself. Going to Disney, you'll be leaving the city. Have fun! Definitely worth it.:thumbsup2

ETA: I'd ask at your hotel for the best route to Disney. You can get there via multiple routes. One of the subway lines has a change to the train you need too, and that would avoid a stop in Tokyo station. Also, if you're going to be in town for a length of time and using the subway a lot, I'd highly recommend a Suica or Pasmo card too. This will allow you to skip having to buy train tickets. It's bsically a transit debit card.

We used the train a lot while we were there and found it to be easy, efficient and comfortable most of the time. We hit a few rush hours, but even then, people went out of their way to make room for us to get on, or move out of the way so we could hop off. The big positive about using the trains is that you're not locked into taking a certain bus at a certain time, the trains are frequent and run from early morning to late at night, so you can make a full day of it at TDR.

The route from Shinjuku Station to Maihama Station is pretty easy. Hop on the JR Chuo Line from Shinjuku Station to Tokyo Station. Then catch the JR Keiyo Line to Maihama Station. Walk out of the station and the TDR Welcome Center and monorail station are to your left.

We took a bus from Shinjuku station to about 25 yards from the Mira Costa hotel in Nov. of 09. It was very convenient and about the same cost as the train. We were moving all our luggage and did not want to change trains and walk the sometimes incredible distances within the train stations.

The only drawback was we hit some traffic in the city and it took close to an hour to get there. But it was a nice double decker bus and we enjoyed the views of the city.

We took many other trains while in Japan and there were great. So we were also willing to use a different mode.

I would also suggest the train.

You don't have to be concerned about possible traffic tie-ups. And there are trains all the time, so you don't have to be tied to a bus schedule. (Looks like there are only 7 daily buses to/from Shinjuku.)

And don't be concerned about buying tickets. On the automated ticket machines, they have a button to display everything in English. Riding the train was very easy.

I say take the train. As a 6'3 American, I find the buses to be extremely uncomfortable.

A word of caution on buying your ticket. There are two types of ticket kiosks. One sells reserved seat tickets and the other sells tickets for all other trains. Look for the machines that have buttons to push for the number of people you are buying tickets for (one person, two people, etc). You will then not purchase a ticket between stations but for a specified amount of Yen.

It may seem obvious, but in the confusion of a Tokyo train station, I've seen a lot of people struggle with that (I helped a very nice family with that very issue two days ago).

Thanks everyone, now it looks like we'll be staying with friends in Kokubunji instead of in a hotel in Shinjuku so it will probably make sense to just take the train from Kokubunji into Tokyo and transfer to Maihama. All of the train tips are very helpful! According to the site linked by inkspots (thanks!) a 7:42 departure from Kokubunji will get us to Maihama at 8:56.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter