Has anyone heard anything about the 5/25 Magic sailing?

You're gonna get nuts and rude people wherever you are. Not everyone in Port Canaveral is warm, fuzzy, and Disney-like, and not all New Yorkers are inherently rude by nature. It's actually a pretty unfair stereotype.

As a native New Yorker, thanks for that!!!

I LIVE IN NEW YORK, that's why I was so upset!! It was the first time I ever took a cruise out of NY as opposed to flying down to Fla and getting onboard. It was astounding to me the total difference in atmosphere, manners and just a feeling of total chaos and disregard for people and their families. I am not stereotyping, just curious if it was a 'bad day' and a 'bad cruise' or this is typical of embarking in my wonderful little NY state of mind ;)

Obviously, I did not want to offend anybody, just trying to get an objective and true report as to the clientele, general observations of the embarking/disembarking experience from people that have sailed Disney out of Fla and if there is a true comparison/difference. Just curious.......

We sailed out of New York Harbor last fall and didn't notice any difference in the service. Very efficient and courteous.

One place we noticed a totally different atmosphere was at London Heathrow airport -- TSA officials were actually smiling!

OMG....I can't believe they are saying there was flooding. We were on the Dream in August 2011 during the hurricane....it was rocky, but nothing like what this sounds... I am on the Magic in August going north to canada. I feel terrible for everyone, but was worried with all the tropical storms on the East Coast.

I wonder if there was any damage to the atrium (carpets, etc.).

Here is hoping for smooth sailing as they come back north....

kristina

OMG....I can't believe they are saying there was flooding. We were on the Dream in August 2011 during the hurricane....it was rocky, but nothing like what this sounds... I am on the Magic in August going north to canada. I feel terrible for everyone, but was worried with all the tropical storms on the East Coast.

I wonder if there was any damage to the atrium (carpets, etc.).

Here is hoping for smooth sailing as they come back north....

kristina

I was thinking about the flooding issue as well. We left the Magic on 5/23, and it looked like portions of carpeting had recently been replaced :sad2:

What a shame. Hope they didn't have too much damage. Such a beautiful ship.

But...one thing I'm confused about is this: how did the Atrium flood in the first place? Someone mentioned the pools, but they're up on deck 9. The Atrium is deck 3, right? Just confused as to how the Atrium could have taken water from that many decks up. :confused3

I was thinking about the flooding issue as well. We left the Magic on 5/23, and it looked like portions of carpeting had recently been replaced :sad2:

What a shame. Hope they didn't have too much damage. Such a beautiful ship.

But...one thing I'm confused about is this: how did the Atrium flood in the first place? Someone mentioned the pools, but they're up on deck 9. The Atrium is deck 3, right? Just confused as to how the Atrium could have taken water from that many decks up. :confused3

Perhaps through the midship elevator bank? That extends all the way up to 9.

We sailed out of New York Harbor last fall and didn't notice any difference in the service. Very efficient and courteous.

One place we noticed a totally different atmosphere was at London Heathrow airport -- TSA officials were actually smiling!

We've sailed out of NY twice, once on Carnival and once on the QM2. Not Disney, mind you, but a good measure of the difference in fellow shipmates. The Carnival cruise was definitely heavy on Tri-State and Northeast flavor. I didn't get as much an international flavor as the QM2, where at least half of the fellow passengers were Brits. As far as over all behavior, no different than any Disney Cruise I've taken, with the exception that it was a decidedly more adult crowd. This was a fall sailing, so that is one part of it.

If there was any difference on the Magic out of NY, I would be willing to bet the opportunity to sail out of New York may have attracted a lot of "non-Disney" people who took the chance to try DCL because of the convenience.

We were on one of the first cruises on the Wonder back in 1999. One day it rained so hard there was water POURING down that little "room" where the Atrium elevators go up and down! So my guess would be down those elevator areas...:confused3

The flooding conversation is scaring me... :scared1: I can't even imagine the atrium flooding like that! Making me nervous...

for 40 years. Us NY'ers deal with rudeness and pushiness (is that a word, lol?) all day long. When I go on vacation, I go to get away from all that. Granted, no matter where one travels to, there are always going to be those kind of people. There just seems to be a larger concentration of them in NY, lol.

When I booked my first Disney cruise last year (5 day Dream), I had someone ask me why I didn't leave from NY. My response was, "I am trying to get away from the people in NY!" I know not all of the passengers on NY cruises are NY'ers but you might get my response, lol.

I would like to believe that Disney passengers are all nice no matter where they board, lol.

But, I get what you are saying.

I really appreciate your candidness. I'm really just curious only because of what I experienced. I have two small children and adults were blowing smoke in their faces and then when the 'big' guy cut us on line while waiting for sky caps to grab our luggage, I was stunned. Never, never before did I experience that with Disney or Royal down in Fla. I have friends from church going in July and another friend going in August. I'm not going to say anything to them prior I will wait to hear what they thought, etc. I don't want them going with any preconceived notions. The family from church in July cruises all of the time, the gal in August, this will be her first experience. Again, I certainly did not mean to stereotype or offend. I am from NY and I was asking for honest observations from seasoned cruisers/travelers. I love what gometors said, the 'tri state northeast flavor'--obviously put much better than me. I'm just coming off a third surgery in less than a year and an emergency room visit Friday, so not picking my wording in the best manner possibly. thank you all for your responses. And let's hope there is no flooding or negative impact for our fellow Disers on board right now.
stay well,
annmarie

The Magic is in PC on a port of call. She should be heading out of port around midnight.

I'm pretty sure Wed. is their WDW day. The ship won't be leaving until very late as they are letting everyone stay in the parks to see the night shows, then having them return via the buses to the ship.

Wow, I never knew they did that! That's pretty cool. :woohoo: Can you still get onboard early to enjoy the ship?

I could not figure out the flooding either. I believe the ceiling of the atrium is deck 5 so far to go. I had not thought of theelevator shaft but wouldn't the water go to the lower deck. doesn't the midship elevator go to 2? I have seen other videos of the pools in rough seas but on the pool deck they have the drain area all around the edge of the ship if I remember correctly.
I thought we'd hear something today but I guess everyone is enjoying WDW

This is the first time they are making a "stop" at WDW as part of the cruise price. Typically, the ships leave from PC, so they are sailing out by 4 or 5pm. But for the NY cruises, they are making PC/WDW one of the Port of Calls. The buses start taking passengers to WDW at 7am, at various intervals through the morning. "all aboard" is 11pm (I think, I would need to check the cruise documents we just got :) ) They are most likely in no hurry to leave, because the next 2 days are "sea days" so they aren't trying to get anywhere in time!

Yes, you do have the option to stay aboard for the day, or there are excursions to NASA too. Some people have no interest in going to WDW for just one day. But, the Park Hopper pass is part of your cruise price, along with the free transportation. Guess we'll see what people start saying about this port of call, I am re-thinking going for one hot day in June! And, I hear Obama may be there the week we are there...even more crowds and nightmares (they block off areas and stuff).

Hope that answers your question!

In regards to the Atrium Flooding on the Magic...March 2011 we went on a WC cruise and up until the last two nights there was a big barrel/bucket thing below the chandolier because it was dripping all week long. Was very sad to see but we made the best of it (well until our stateroom flooded leaving CastawaY but thats a different story). So it sounds like this Atrium flooding is an ongoing issue

This is the first time they are making a "stop" at WDW as part of the cruise price. Typically, the ships leave from PC, so they are sailing out by 4 or 5pm. But for the NY cruises, they are making PC/WDW one of the Port of Calls. The buses start taking passengers to WDW at 7am, at various intervals through the morning. "all aboard" is 11pm (I think, I would need to check the cruise documents we just got :) ) They are most likely in no hurry to leave, because the next 2 days are "sea days" so they aren't trying to get anywhere in time!

Yes, you do have the option to stay aboard for the day, or there are excursions to NASA too. Some people have no interest in going to WDW for just one day. But, the Park Hopper pass is part of your cruise price, along with the free transportation. Guess we'll see what people start saying about this port of call, I am re-thinking going for one hot day in June! And, I hear Obama may be there the week we are there...even more crowds and nightmares (they block off areas and stuff).

Hope that answers your question!

when might he be there? I did hear it was an issue last time with waiting and things

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter